T Nation

Is Rib Cage Expansion Possible?

I have heard from many sources about rig cage widening by using methods such as 20-rep squats and pullovers to give the illusion of a wider chest and bigger v cut. My question is if this is actually possible. I have heard evidence that it does work and some that it doesn’t so I ask all you fine people on T-Nation to clear this up for me.

pullovers do not spread the ribcage

[quote]superhero#1 wrote:
pullovers do not spread the ribcage[/quote]

And how do you know this…what do you base this on…

Look a dead dog, lets beat it.

Some people say yes and some provide scientific evidence that leans toward no. Sounds like a great opportunity for you to conduct your own T-Nation experiment on yourself and get back to us with your conclusions. Maybe if it’s good enough TC will put you on the payroll???

[quote]E-man wrote:
Look a dead dog, lets beat it.

Some people say yes and some provide scientific evidence that leans toward no. Sounds like a great opportunity for you to conduct your own T-Nation experiment on yourself and get back to us with your conclusions. Maybe if it’s good enough TC will put you on the payroll???[/quote]

LOL. While were talking about this, I have a question. Do high reps tone and bring in the cuts. And do deadlifts and squats make you blocky??? Oh and do high rep broomstick twists slim your waist.

Pbjoe, you sound exactly like my copy of Ultimate Bodybuilding, allegedly written by Joe Weider.

Ell Darden seems to think that ribcage expansion is possible, but I don’t think that the bones themselves are capable of being expanded. Maybe the muscles there could get bigger and give the illusion of a bigger ribcage?

If it means anything, both sides of my ribcage are sore the day after doing one-arm pushups.

[quote]BFBullpup wrote:
Pbjoe, you sound exactly like my copy of Ultimate Bodybuilding, allegedly written by Joe Weider.

Ell Darden seems to think that ribcage expansion is possible, but I don’t think that the bones themselves are capable of being expanded. Maybe the muscles there could get bigger and give the illusion of a bigger ribcage?[/quote]

I guess. I was just curious about it. Thanks

cuttign and bulking is all about diet…

however, most people alter the set/rep whilst on a cut vs bulk.

HOWEVER, this might shock you

higher reps 8-14 will make you much more ‘blockier’ than 1-5…

WHY? Because in a higher rep range, you are forcing the muscle into hypetrophy, aka growth. In a lower rep range, the body is schocked by the heaviness and thus the CNS (central nervous system) is sent into fire mode. CNS training is basically making what muscle you have MORE effecient then simply building muscle.

This is why BBers arent really that strong for their size. Were as a 150lb powerlifter can pull triple bodyweight. BB train hypetrophy for muscle, PLs train for pure strength.

If you want to vut, you must reduce calories simple as that.

HOWEVER, to miminize the loss of muscle mass you must lift low reps and big ass weight.

WHY? Because you must shock your body and convince it to hold onto all the muscle, because it needs it cause your lifting heavy weight! The level of intensity required to maintain muscle through a caloric defecit is harder to do with higher reps.

And… man, STFU!! squat and deadlift,

[quote]Fuzzy-47 wrote:

WHY? Because in a higher rep range, you are forcing the muscle into hypetrophy, aka growth. In a lower rep range, the body is schocked by the heaviness and thus the CNS (central nervous system) is sent into fire mode. CNS training is basically making what muscle you have MORE effecient then simply building muscle.

This is why BBers arent really that strong for their size. Were as a 150lb powerlifter can pull triple bodyweight. BB train hypetrophy for muscle, PLs train for pure strength.

HOWEVER, to miminize the loss of muscle mass you must lift low reps and big ass weight.

WHY? Because you must shock your body and convince it to hold onto all the muscle, because it needs it cause your lifting heavy weight! The level of intensity required to maintain muscle through a caloric defecit is harder to do with higher reps.

[/quote]

Hm, so lemme see if I have this straight:

-To build muscle, you use light weight and high reps
-To build strength (which isn’t at all related to the amount of muscle a person carries), you use some heavy ass weight.
-To KEEP muscle while dieting, you use heavy ass weight.

That line of thinking certainly isn’t contradictory on many levels.

higher reps do indeed build more muscle.
Resistance being the same, higher reps with weight x will build more muscle than lower reps with the same resistance. It was in Mens Health too!!!

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Resistance being the same, higher reps with weight x will build more muscle than lower reps with the same resistance. It was in Mens Health too!!![/quote]

In Men’s Health eh, then it’s a fact :slight_smile:

Like your avatar BTW.

Why are 20-reps squats supposed to widen the rib-cage?

yes, it’s totally possible, but only if you go for the stretch with the dumbell pullovers. i did it when i was into darden-style HIT, and it actually worked.

however, i now have a loose sternum, because it stretches the cartilage; that’s how it works. i now have to pop my sternum back out by leaning back and pushing my chest out every time i do dips.

it’s not worth it, especially since it can give you problems with your ribs as well. loosen them up too much, and they can pop in and out of alignment with your spine, and that means paying some chiropractor to adjust them.

IMO, pullovers are a waste of time, just like upright rows. both exercises do more harm than good. if you want a big chest, hit those pecs and lats. keep with it and you’ll eventually get the look you’re after. there are no shortcuts.

[quote]Imen de Naars wrote:
Why are 20-reps squats supposed to widen the rib-cage?[/quote]

deep breathing combined with the stretch of having your arms up and back, just like with the pullovers. it works a little bit with the squats, but mostly with the pullovers, which can be bad. ribcage expansion is all about stretching the cartilage.

[quote]BFBullpup wrote:

Ell Darden seems to think that ribcage expansion is possible, but I don’t think that the bones themselves are capable of being expanded. Maybe the muscles there could get bigger and give the illusion of a bigger ribcage?[/quote]

it doesn’t work by expanding the bones or building muscle; it works by stretching the cartilage. i did it when i was younger, and i now have a loose sternum because of it, and problems with my ribs. it works, but it’s a bad idea. there are no shortcuts to having a huge chest.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Resistance being the same, higher reps with weight x will build more muscle than lower reps with the same resistance. It was in Mens Health too!!![/quote]

Exactly. Benching 300 10X will build more than benching 300 1X.

I am surprised all you people haven’t figured this out yet. :slight_smile:

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
jp_dubya wrote:
Resistance being the same, higher reps with weight x will build more muscle than lower reps with the same resistance. It was in Mens Health too!!!

Exactly. Benching 300 10X will build more than benching 300 1X.

I am surprised all you people haven’t figured this out yet. :)[/quote]

I think 10 reps might be catabolic :frowning:

Age 63. Many years ago I read an article absout expanding the rib cage, allowing for more room for your heart and lungs to work. Semed like a healthy idea to me. Since then I have used squats 20 to 30 reps with pull overs - 15 to 20 reps and I think it has worked.

Some time ago I had a young lady, not watching where she was walking run into my back. I caught her as she fell. As she walked away she told her girl friend "Wow! That was like waslding into a brick wall.

I will never be a highly photographed bodybuilder, but I will keep doing what works. This still works. I can feel sit from the inside.