T Nation

Is Protein Overrated?

Just looking for some input. About 2 months ago I added more protein into my diet while dramatically reducing the amount of carbs, and keeping my calories the same overall. It didn’t do anything for my composition…im still 190 and %13 bf.

Has anyone else had a similiar experience, or am i alone?

[quote]Mcflurry wrote:
Just looking for some input. About 2 months ago I added more protein into my diet while dramatically reducing the amount of carbs, and keeping my calories the same overall. It didn’t do anything for my composition…im still 190 and %13 bf.

Has anyone else had a similiar experience, or am i alone?

[/quote]

To answer you stated question. Yes. It’s not the end all be all. You need a sufficient amount to make gains. However there’s no need for mega dosing. The one supplement most people don’t have is INTENSITY.

You can suck down all the protien you want, but if you don’t lift EVERYTIME as if it was your last session…forget progress of any kind.

If you didn’t change the amount of calories then your weight shouldn’t have changed. Although, how accurate is your measuring device?

EDIT:

or at least change much. Although exercise is what would make the largest difference

My weight stayed the same.

what kind of workouts were doing? and what are your goals?

no

[quote]slimthugger wrote:
The one supplement most people don’t have is INTENSITY.

[/quote]

That’s a sick line. I’ll remember that one.

no protein is not overrated… why cut the carbs… up the protein intake and keep carb intake the same.

I think that in the general population protein is very UNDERrated if anything, though it does sometimes seem as though it is overrated within the bodybuilding and strength training community.

I think it’s important up to a point. At least 1g per lb is a good rule, but I don’t think you’ll see a difference going from 2 grams to 2.5 grams. Once you are getting enough, it is just another form of calorie, so it makes sense that since you kept calories the same, your body composition didn’t change much.

You need at least 1.5g per pound of body weight as far as protein is concerned.

why did you cut carbs and what kind of workout did you do?

2 whole months?! wow!..

seriously though protein is a fundamental part of any diet. Depending on what your goals may be, a higher or lower percentage and total amount could be helpful. Diet is a large portion of the equation but so is your training.

[quote]Artem wrote:
no[/quote]

x2

I think everyone’s body is different. Some people do better on higher protein diets while others don’t have to go as high. I don’t know much about metabolic typing or any of that. I just know what works for me.

But I would like to say everyone I know, that has taken their physique to a high level, cares about their protein.

Its never enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn3wM6Rxpik

[quote]Kreal7 wrote:
slimthugger wrote:
The one supplement most people don’t have is INTENSITY.

That’s a sick line. I’ll remember that one.
[/quote]

I can do that all day man…lol

I dont think that protein is overrated at all…HOWEVER, i do think that people are not patient enough and believe that they should be turning into a beast after a weeks training, and so when they dont, blame other factors…training type…diet…etc

it’s blasphmy to even consider protein to be over rated

[quote]BigMike wrote:
it’s blasphmy to even consider protein to be over rated[/quote]

Agree.

Fucin’ pro… Fukin’ protein. Where’s the gadamn protein ma? I thought I told you to get me some more protein… FU*K!

How much are you going to visibly see after ONLY 2 months, wtf? Plus there are so many other factors such as your caloric intake, meal timing, type of exercise, etc.