T Nation

Is Pork Dangerous?

I eat bacon on my burgers, but other than that, there isn’t a ton of pork going into my diet.

I’m the same as PX though, I love bacon, but don’t really care to eat pork (not out of so called health concerns)

After reading the study, my first thought had to do with sanitation. I know pork can carry Hep E and is widespread throughout parts of Asia and Africa, but unfortunately, the study doesn’t address second and third world countries.

My next thought, and I think it’s a novel one, seems to be that the study didn’t control for wheat intake. I know that there is a link between gluten sensitivity and liver disease. Germany and Austria top the list for pork consumption and liver disease and given the proclivity for schnitzel, perhaps their wheat consumption is also higher? I would speculate that their wheat consumption paired with pork consumption is higher than other countries.

I think this is an interesting line of thought, especially since the greatest number of people testing positive for gluten sensitivity are from Northern Europe.

I didn’t read the article. But my decision to eliminate pork (aside from organic, nitrite/nitrate-free bacon) came several years ago when I felt ill after eating pork. It felt like I had a dramatic drop in blood sugar, and I felt weak and clammy.

food for thought, though

Swedes are immune to both. Fuck yeah

Correlation does not imply causation

I’d be interested to know how those with liver problems are eating their pork. I’d bet that consuming pork sausages and bacon is not the same as consuming whole pork tenderloin / chops.

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Correlation does not imply causation

I’d be interested to know how those with liver problems are eating their pork. I’d bet that consuming pork sausages and bacon is not the same as consuming whole pork tenderloin / chops.[/quote]
You’re right. Denmark, Germany and Austria make delicious sausages.

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Correlation does not imply causation

I’d be interested to know how those with liver problems are eating their pork. I’d bet that consuming pork sausages and bacon is not the same as consuming whole pork tenderloin / chops.[/quote]
You’re right. Denmark, Germany and Austria make delicious sausages.[/quote]

Chorizo motherfucker.

so, according to article:

1 - “healthfulness” rankings = fish, red meat, poultry, pork (hmmm)
2 - US-grown pork following recent FA composition trends (see also: beef, salmon)

I read this article last year. Thought it could add some interesting info to the discussion.
http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiovascular-disease/how-does-pork-prepared-in-various-ways-affect-the-blood

I?ve always been amazed at the number of people who preach against eating pork ? they believe it is for health reasons but in fact, the laws against eating pork have their roots in economics and the use of religion and religious sanctions to control a community?s eating behavior.

Pigs need moisture and the taboo came about after the once ? forested lands had become dry and arid because they had been cleared for farming. Without natural forage, pigs had to be fed grains and as a result, pig ? farming led to increased costs that posed a threat to the entire subsistence system in the hot, semi ? arid lands of the ancient Middle East. The pig had in fact, become a direct competitor to the human being for the supply of grains.

It was hoped that by forbidding the consumption of pork on religious grounds that the production of pork would decrease. Perversely enough, the prohibition against raising pigs actually led to an increased cultivation of grains and other less protein sources substituting for the much ? relished pigs. In about 2000 B.C, the Egyptians put an end to this sort of escalation by identifying pigs with Set, the God of evil. As a result, Egyptians have never lost their prejudice against pork.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Correlation does not imply causation

I’d be interested to know how those with liver problems are eating their pork. I’d bet that consuming pork sausages and bacon is not the same as consuming whole pork tenderloin / chops.[/quote]
You’re right. Denmark, Germany and Austria make delicious sausages.[/quote]

Chorizo motherfucker.[/quote]
What the hell do you know about chorizo, Ontario? Shit’s nastier than hotdogs.

I wouldn’t think tenderloins, chops, ribs et cetera would have an issue either, so long as they’re cooked correctly.

Every source of meat available potentially carries diseases if handled or cooked improperly.

That said, I like my steaks to leak blood which I sop up with a biscuit or potato, my pork tenderloins are a little pink in the middle, my chicken is never bloody but always juicy and I’ll flash grill fresh caught, gulf fish and eat.

I mix raw eggs in to shakes, including the shells.

I’ve never had a problem but I don’t buy old shit, open shit, or from a cheap, sketchy looking market. Anecdotal, I know, and maybe I just jinxed myself but what eva.

Pork is an excellent, tasty source of protien I say.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Correlation does not imply causation

I’d be interested to know how those with liver problems are eating their pork. I’d bet that consuming pork sausages and bacon is not the same as consuming whole pork tenderloin / chops.[/quote]
You’re right. Denmark, Germany and Austria make delicious sausages.[/quote]

Chorizo motherfucker.[/quote]
What the hell do you know about chorizo, Ontario? Shit’s nastier than hotdogs.

I wouldn’t think tenderloins, chops, ribs et cetera would have an issue either, so long as they’re cooked correctly.

Every source of meat available potentially carries diseases if handled or cooked improperly.

That said, I like my steaks to leak blood which I sop up with a biscuit or potato, my pork tenderloins are a little pink in the middle, my chicken is never bloody but always juicy and I’ll flash grill fresh caught, gulf fish and eat.

I mix raw eggs in to shakes, including the shells.

I’ve never had a problem but I don’t buy old shit, open shit, or from a cheap, sketchy looking market. Anecdotal, I know, and maybe I just jinxed myself but what eva.

Pork is an excellent, tasty source of protien I say.

[/quote]

What’s the benefit of putting the shells in the shake?

[quote]The Rattler wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Correlation does not imply causation

I’d be interested to know how those with liver problems are eating their pork. I’d bet that consuming pork sausages and bacon is not the same as consuming whole pork tenderloin / chops.[/quote]
You’re right. Denmark, Germany and Austria make delicious sausages.[/quote]

Chorizo motherfucker.[/quote]
What the hell do you know about chorizo, Ontario? Shit’s nastier than hotdogs.

I wouldn’t think tenderloins, chops, ribs et cetera would have an issue either, so long as they’re cooked correctly.

Every source of meat available potentially carries diseases if handled or cooked improperly.

That said, I like my steaks to leak blood which I sop up with a biscuit or potato, my pork tenderloins are a little pink in the middle, my chicken is never bloody but always juicy and I’ll flash grill fresh caught, gulf fish and eat.

I mix raw eggs in to shakes, including the shells.

I’ve never had a problem but I don’t buy old shit, open shit, or from a cheap, sketchy looking market. Anecdotal, I know, and maybe I just jinxed myself but what eva.

Pork is an excellent, tasty source of protien I say.

[/quote]

What’s the benefit of putting the shells in the shake?
[/quote]

calcium

Pork is excellent source of quality protein.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]The Rattler wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
Correlation does not imply causation

I’d be interested to know how those with liver problems are eating their pork. I’d bet that consuming pork sausages and bacon is not the same as consuming whole pork tenderloin / chops.[/quote]
You’re right. Denmark, Germany and Austria make delicious sausages.[/quote]

Chorizo motherfucker.[/quote]
What the hell do you know about chorizo, Ontario? Shit’s nastier than hotdogs.

I wouldn’t think tenderloins, chops, ribs et cetera would have an issue either, so long as they’re cooked correctly.

Every source of meat available potentially carries diseases if handled or cooked improperly.

That said, I like my steaks to leak blood which I sop up with a biscuit or potato, my pork tenderloins are a little pink in the middle, my chicken is never bloody but always juicy and I’ll flash grill fresh caught, gulf fish and eat.

I mix raw eggs in to shakes, including the shells.

I’ve never had a problem but I don’t buy old shit, open shit, or from a cheap, sketchy looking market. Anecdotal, I know, and maybe I just jinxed myself but what eva.

Pork is an excellent, tasty source of protien I say.

[/quote]

What’s the benefit of putting the shells in the shake?
[/quote]

calcium
[/quote]
Yes.

Also a shit ton of other trace minerals, I forget the profile but Google egg shell nutrition for an interesting read.

Top quality protein and mineral support from a natural source and super cheap.