T Nation

Is Peri Workout Nutrition Dead?

Seems like a lot of guys around here have dismissed the notion of nutrient timing. I can’t believe Stu used to eat pop tarts after training. OMG! there’s fat in those pop tarts Stu! The fat will slow absorption and your insulin spike will be null and there’s no protein!

Anyways, Stu is a pro and it worked for him for years apparently. Knowing this why would anybody spend the money or these super expensive “protocols”? Ya know, other than the fact that big, lean guys promote them…

Who here is die hard peri w.o. nutrition and who just eats solid meals hitting their macros?

It works for me and my lifestyle. I don’t know whether it’s the nutrient timing that’s effective, or simply the additional quality calories on workout days. I honestly don’t care which it is. Workout drinks, at the very least, are a very easy way to get quality nutrition. I’m willing to spend the money for the added convenience.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
Seems like a lot of guys around here have dismissed the notion of nutrient timing. I can’t believe Stu used to eat pop tarts after training. OMG! there’s fat in those pop tarts Stu! The fat will slow absorption and your insulin spike will be null and there’s no protein!

Anyways, Stu is a pro and it worked for him for years apparently. Knowing this why would anybody spend the money or these super expensive “protocols”? Ya know, other than the fact that big, lean guys promote them…

Who here is die hard peri w.o. nutrition and who just eats solid meals hitting their macros?[/quote]

x2 for this post. I just eat my macros. I feel nutrient timing may have a % of an advantage, but its popularity is fueled by the supplement industry.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
It works for me and my lifestyle. I don’t know whether it’s the nutrient timing that’s effective, or simply the additional quality calories on workout days. I honestly don’t care which it is. Workout drinks, at the very least, are a very easy way to get quality nutrition. I’m willing to spend the money for the added convenience.[/quote]

I’m certainly not slamming anyone for spending money on supplementation. I have a breakfast shake every work day morning (6 outta 7) and also a shake after training. The convenience and the quality macros are a no brainer for me. I usually eat only two maybe three solid meals a day.

[quote]elusive wrote:

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

Who here is die hard peri w.o. nutrition and who just eats solid meals hitting their macros?[/q

x2 for this post. I just eat my macros. I feel nutrient timing may have a % of an advantage, but its popularity is fueled by the supplement industry.[/quote]

Yea, exactly. Hey, I think whey is a great product/tool and what not, but I don’t take a pre workout or intra workout anything. Solid meal couple hours before and whey isolate and grape juice after. Although I may start drinking 25 grams of isolate before training just to see if it helps and obviously to increase from daily total.

Thibs has said you can pretty much screw up your diet and still be covered if your taking peri-workout nutrition no? I believe that, but I know for a fact I need to master my diet and meals in general. I’ll personally be spending my next few years on what I eat and when vs peri workout nutrition. It comes down to cost mainly, but also because that first statement lets me cheat and I know it haha. Maybe when I nail both down I can come post in a few years and have some real feedback though.

I believe peri-workout nutrition is the key to promote muscle growth while remaining lean. I notice a huge difference in training intensity and recovery when I have MAG-10 and Anaconda vs not having them. This is in addition to hitting my daily macros.

Also, I believe Stu does use MAG-10 and SWF for his peri-workout. I think there is something to be said for pros like AV using the intra-workouts like Plazma when they are sponsored by another company.

I feel peri workout nutrition is a huge benefit to training.

That’s not to say you can’t get results otherwise. I feel the Biotest products are perfect, but I understand they aren’t perfect for everyone. They really help to keep me going and fueled properly.

Not everyone needs 3 scoops of Plazma. In fact i’ve been surviving on 1 scoop a session since they’ve been lower intensity. I still get 1-2 pulses of MAG-10 post workout as that’s just a bonus, but recovery and energy is solid.

All I can say is if you’ve never tried anything other than solid food or gatorade and whey then ,maybe you should try something slightly different and see if it helps. Switch out for a full month to something, whether it is a CH or WH/Whey Isolate + dextrose or surge recovery, i don’t care. Many people at my gym are having great results with pre, during and post liquid nutrition that is absorb somewhat quickly.

I think it is less about how well it works and more about for how long can you afford it, unfortunately.

One this is to spend $50-100 a month on supplements - not a bargain, but not that expensive either. Another whole different ball game is to spend $300+/month on a shitload of supplements (regardless if they “work” or not, this is not my point). This is the main reason I (unfortunately) can’t bring myself to try any of those Biotest protocols, there’s no point of running it for a month and calling it quits because I can’t afford them anymore.

To me the problem with these super supplements is that they end up taking your eyes off of making sure you’re eating proper food. This is just my opinion, but if you’re not making a living out of your body, you should be more concerned about eating some steak and potatoes than about how many scoops of X or Y you’re taking on a daily.

I stick to the basics. Some whey pre workout and whey + dextrose + creatine post workout, and a mean ass meal 1h after that.

Instead of sipping something super fast digesting, supper nutritious and super expensive through the workout, i get my nutrient ‘drip feed’ theough workouts thanks to something wonderful called digestion :slight_smile: ( this was said and should be read with a somewhat ‘tongue in cheek’ attitude. Not actually getting at Biotest lr anyone, im sure Plazma is epic)

This study seems to show nutrient timing is not entirely necessary: http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
Also, a few studies have shown that hydrolyzed proteins result in a lower anabolic affect than regular whey.

So what’s the consensus on these studies?

[quote]Invictica wrote:
This study seems to show nutrient timing is not entirely necessary: http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
Also, a few studies have shown that hydrolyzed proteins result in a lower anabolic affect than regular whey.

So what’s the consensus on these studies?

[/quote]

1. It’s not a study, it’s a review

2. If you want a reasonably trustworthy scientific consensus you’ll have to wait… a few decades. Science doesn’t work overnight. A single study is often a result of years of work. And in isolation it’s worthless. The more studies you perform, the more accurate your guess gets. But when it comes to something that is as complex as the human body and notoriously difficult to study, don’t expect any reasonable accuracy anytime soon.

The best thing to do is to try things yourself. After some personal experimentation I know that FOR ME there is a huge difference in gym performance between having a pre-workout meal and a peri-workout drink consisting of hydrolyzed protein and HBCD. Might be different for someone else, but I know that it works for me and the difference is night and day.

Stop treating science like an oracle. At best it’s a bunch of people trying to make sense of an incredibly complex world using imperfect tools. At worst it’s a bunch of blind people trying to find a needle in a haystack the size of Earth.

I think peri workout nutrition is semi worthless.

I notice my recovery, muscle gain, fat loss is better now when I get along the lines of If It Fit Your Macros, rather than worrying about nurtient timing.

Oh there are fat free poptarts.

I drink Gatorade during my workout because I get more of a pump, and I feel a little better. I don’t have carbs in the morning, because it makes me sleepy, and since moving them later in the day I’ve looked a lot better. I drink whey after I lift because big guys have been doing that for years.

I think there is merit to timing your carbs when trying to preserve or gain muscle while losing or minimizing fat. But I think it may be the difference in a few pounds, not 12 or something drastic lol.

Ohh, and it’s not ‘either or’. John Meadows eats healthy food, AND takes advantage of intra-wo nutrition. He still advocates pre-workout meals, times his carbs, blah blah blah.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
I think peri workout nutrition is semi worthless.

I notice my recovery, muscle gain, fat loss is better now when I get along the lines of If It Fit Your Macros, rather than worrying about nurtient timing.

Oh there are fat free poptarts.[/quote]

My stores suck no fat free pop tarts here :frowning:

I haven’t used peri workout food in a year and 90% of the time just have a little bit of whey before/during but completely fasted otherwise. Never had better workouts or results as long as the rest of diet is aimed at current goals