T Nation

Is Peeing on Jesus Really Funny?

Peeing on a picture of Jesus is funny, thats what HBO says. I wonder how HBO would feel if someone told funny jokes about the holocaust? Or maybe if someone doo dooed on a quran? I don't think HBO would be too amused somehow.

If this guy is truly honest, then let's see him give the same treatment to a picture of Mohamed. He's a liar. It is offensive.
I support their right to do it, but it would be best they don't do it in front of me, because I would react. Reacting is also free speech. Freedom of speech does not free you from the consequences of speech.

I always hated Seinfeld and I couldn't last 15 minutes of Curb your enthusiasm. Even before, I thought Larry David was not ever funny. Now I think he is an asshole too.

If I wiped my ass with the Torah, I reckon he'd be pretty pissed even if not a practicing Jew. Or maybe if I made a slap-stick comedy about the holocaust??

It's an artform

I know. Mocking Christians and Christianity is the last tolerated form of bigotry that is still acceptable. Everybody else is off limits.

But alas, Jesus predicted exactly this, that we would be mocked and persecuted and so we are. But it's ok, we're used to it.

Well said Pat. This is predicted and so expected. What amazes me are all the PC wonder boys who have no clue that they're playing a part in scripture. They really need to read the Bible.

What he is doing is disgusting, offensive, and disrespectful.

Freedom of expression does not allow a person to injure someone else's freedom of expression.

Jesus would turn the other cheek.

Is it Larry's fault Jesus was watching him pee?

Who said anything about injury?

And how do you know what Jesus would do about anything?

I don't know how bad I feel about peeing on a picture of Christ.

It astounds me that anyone associated with the entertainment industry still thinks the aloof-'There are Jews in Hollywood?'-(wink, wink) humor is still funny. Mel brooks rode that horse for 30 years before it collapsed. Then he beat it to death.

I am dumbfounded as to the 'Good job HBO.', as though they're defending or redefining good social values or otherwise improving society somehow.

In the Sermon on the Mount in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus says:

You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
â??Matthew 5:38-42

In the Sermon on the Plain in the Gospel of Luke, Jesus says:

But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
â??Luke 6:27-31

Wonder what his buddy would have to say about this, Tom Leopold the Jewish convert to Catholicism?

Jesus also drove out money changers and those who disrespected God from the Temple with a bull whip.

Yes, I agree with the verse. However, I do not agree with your personal interpretation.

Useless or unjust revenge is evil. However, not all revenge is equal either.

Furthermore, there is righteous indignation, which is not evil. Those who do not know better, those who are the untaught masses deserve our mercy. However, those that know better not so much. Jesus often rebuked the Pharisees because they knew the law, but were external in their actions only.

Anyway. Hope you have a good day.

Thank you.

People that do that are crying for attention and trying to illicit a strong response. If one turns the other cheek, they are taking away some of the 'fun' of the perpetrator by not engaging with them. What's more insulting that making a spectacle and being ignored?

I didn't watch the video, but it sounds disgusting and offensive. That said, I'm glad I live in a country where some dumbass can make those "jokes" and I can just call it offensive and never click the "play" button.

But you also live in a country where certain speech is virtually prohibited. Does this bother you?