Is Peanut Butter Bad For Us?

I’ve been reading some diet gurus and some of them are saying that peanut butter and peanuts in general are bad for us…heart disease, clogging arteries, cancer, etc.
Is any of this true?

Thanks!

yustas:

It’s true if you listen to the fat Police. The “Experts” who are still trying to tell us that all fats are bad.

Actually, Peanut Butter can lower your bad cholesterol (LDL). Like Olive Oil, Peanuts contain “unsaturated fat” which is good for you.

Some studies have shown that regularly eating Peanuts (and some other nuts) or Peanut Butter can reduce the risk of heart attacks and cardiovascular disease by as much as 50%!

One final kicker: There is a phytochemical in Peanuts called “resveratrol” which is the same healthful substance found in red wine. It is supposed to protect against the oxydation of LDL in the blood stream. They say that’s one reason that the French are able to consume fatty foods and still ward off heart disease.

Naturally it’s more fun to drink wine…but hey you didn’t ask about wine…

[quote]ZEB wrote:
yustas:

It’s true if you listen to the fat Police. The “Experts” who are still trying to tell us that all fats are bad.

[/quote]

It doesn?t seem to be related to fat, but something in peanuts that turns to mold and may cause a cancer and damage to the arteries. I want to post a link, but can?t find it at the moment.

[quote]yustas wrote:
ZEB wrote:
yustas:

It doesn?t seem to be related to fat, but something in peanuts that turns to mold and may cause a cancer and damage to the arteries. I want to post a link, but can?t find it at the moment.
[/quote]

Oh…okay, post that link if you can find it. I have never heard that one before. Would love to read it.

The carcinogen in peanuts is called “Aflatoxin.”

Good article here:

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA115491/

Interesting quote from that article for those of us who eat natural peanut butter:

“A few years ago, Consumers Union looked into the question of aflatoxins in peanut butter and found that the amounts detectable varied from brand to brand. The lowest amounts were found in the big supermarket brands such as Peter Pan, Jif and Skippy. The highest levels were found in peanut butter ground fresh in health food stores.”

it’s aflatoxin, a highly toxic substance…

Sounds like that old kids song “Found a Peanut” where the kid eats a rotten peanut and dies. Who knew?

There have also been studies that showed that everyone is allergic to peanuts, just to varying degrees. There are studies for everything though, I personally don’t eat PB, I stick to cashews, pecans, walnuts, etc.

There are a lot of wild claims concerning health and nutrition on the Internet. Try to figure out the reliability of the source and whether or not valid reference studies are provided.

Last time I checked beer, cigarettes and pizza while sitting on your fat ass watching football wasn’t all that good for you either. Doesn’t stop millions of people from enjoying it every week. Keep it in perspective.

Whoa!

First - you need to have the peanuts poorly stored offering a suitable environment for a little systemic fungus, Aspergillus fumigatus to use the peanut as a place to thrive which results in expression of Aflatoxin B1. NO IMPROPER STORAGE → NO ASPERGILLUS → NO AFLATOXIN B1 → NO Heapatocarcinoma.

Alternatively, if you are infected with the Hepatitis B virus and come in contact with these poorly stored peanuts expressing Aflatoxin, you could theoretically come down with hepatic carcinoma (of the adeno variety), however, there have been NO REPORTED CASES of this second mode whatsoever.

Second - Incidence has been noted ONLY IN A FEW POORER PARTS OF AFRICA and the FAR EAST.

Do NOT be afraid to eat peanuts for that reason. The only reason others refute eating peanuts is due to the fact that many people do have peanut allergies - but they are not terrible if you already see yourself consuming other types of nuts, do not live in the aforementioned 2 areas, and have no allergies to them.

If eating peanut BUTTER though - make sure it is of the natural variety which I believe was your original post anyway.

From what I understand a larger than expected proportion of the people actually have a peanut allergy, and so if you are one of these then peanut butter may not be a great idea. Other than that I think that is’t good stuff

[quote]apayne wrote:
I personally don’t eat PB, I stick to cashews, pecans, walnuts, etc.[/quote]

Cashews are in the same category and walnuts seems to be as well.

Where would one find a fatty acid profile for nuts in general?

Let me ask you then…

Do you feel you have a peanut allergy?

I think it is more of a wives tale → we can call it a “lesser degree” allergy or whatever, but w/o expression of symptoms, are you going to call yourself “allergic?”

[quote]dinoiii wrote:

If eating peanut BUTTER though - make sure it is of the natural variety which I believe was your original post anyway.

[/quote]

But interestingly according to this
they found the highest amounts of this toxin in natural p butter the one I thought was the best and the one I eat.

[quote]yustas wrote:
dinoiii wrote:

But interestingly according to this
they found the highest amounts of this toxin in natural p butter the one I thought was the best and the one I eat.
[/quote]

Face it, your just going to die someday, so why not quite worrying about all the minutia?

Okay, the article you refer to really doesn’t say all that much.

Hell, just about everything we touch, look at, drink eat or even think about is a carcinogen in one way or another.

Luckily, our body has defences and doesn’t simply develop cancer every time we eat a piece of bacon. Make sure you get lots of antioxidants, such as from fruits and vegetables, and let your body look after itself.

Given that most of us here are working out, eating fairly healthy foods most of the time, taking supplements and vitamins, I don’t think you have to worry about keeling over from eating peanut butter – unless you happen to have a severe allergy.

Stressing out over all this minutiae is more likely to do harm.

Reminds of a recent newspaper article. This reporter chopped a pill in half and then almost choked to death when he couldn’t swallow it. Never mind the sharper edges the retard caused but he then bitched in his article because the government doesn’t have policies in place to protect us from or warn us about choking on supplements. This was considered news and got a big writeup in the paper.

Good thing I’m not his editor. The story would have been titled “Retard Reporter Almost Chokes on Own Stupidity”.

Yustas, for the fat profile of nuts, and other foods, check out this tip from a few months ago by JB/

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=A63C00243DA235299543074F738F2235.titan?id=496290

Peanut fat is 15% sat. fat/51% monounsat fat/34% polyunsat. fat

Yustas
I have read that the peanuts & peanut butter are great, but the commercial manufacturers pump transfat into the product to make it more stable. The trasnsfat keeps the oil from seperating, and also makes the PB more creamy. The same junk is in Twinkies, etc. Tastes great, but harsh on the bod.

[quote]dkells1 wrote:
Yustas, for the fat profile of nuts, and other foods, check out this tip from a few months ago by JB/

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=A63C00243DA235299543074F738F2235.titan?id=496290

Peanut fat is 15% sat. fat/51% monounsat fat/34% polyunsat. fat[/quote]

Thanks, but I was looking for a stats on different omegas, Omega 3, Omega 6, etc…