T Nation

Is Obama Falling Apart?

"This week, Barack Obama’s challenge is to select a running mate who’s young, hip, and whose accomplishments in life don’t overshadow Obama’s. Allow me to suggest Kevin Federline.

The only thing we can be sure of is that Obama will choose someone who is the polar opposite of all his advisers until now. In other words, it will be a very, very white male who was probably proud of his country even before being chosen as Obama’s running mate."

"But most stunningly, when Warren asked Obama if he supported a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman, Obama said he did not “because historically – because historically, we have not defined marriage in our Constitution.”

I don’t care if you support a marriage amendment or not. That answer is literally the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard anyone say. If marriage were already defined in the Constitution, we wouldn’t need an amendment, no?"

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=28127

Go get 'em, Annie!! The wheels on the bus are coming off!

Obama’s defenders spin his abominable performance in the Saddleback forum by saying he’s just too smart to give a straight answer. As Rick Warren charitably described Obama’s debate performance: “He likes to nuance things … He’s a constitutional attorney.” The constitutional lawyer “does nuance,” as Bill Maher said on “Larry King Live,” “and you saw how well that goes over with the Rick Warren people.”

Can you vote ‘present’ as president?

Obama would be smart to avoid the word “experience” as if it were a taboo racial slur. Since he has very little that will always bite him in the ass.

[quote]tedro wrote:
Obama’s defenders spin his abominable performance in the Saddleback forum by saying he’s just too smart to give a straight answer. As Rick Warren charitably described Obama’s debate performance: “He likes to nuance things … He’s a constitutional attorney.” The constitutional lawyer “does nuance,” as Bill Maher said on “Larry King Live,” “and you saw how well that goes over with the Rick Warren people.”

Can you vote ‘present’ as president?[/quote]

I love the implication by Maher et. al. that anyone who expects the potential President of the United States to be able to express answers regarding his values and personal beliefs in anything less than essay form must be stupid. Funny how the smarter someone gets, the harder it is for them to answer a simple question.

Like the question about when a human first gains Constitutional Rights. Obama’s answer: [quote]“That’s above my paygrade”[/quote] or in other words, “I don’t really know, but I don’t want to admit that I don’t know, so I’ll hand it off to God, since this particular audience seems to like that sort of thing.” Guess I must be pretty stupid and lacking in nuance to have translated that all by myself.

If the man does not have a teleprompter in front of him he is lost. uh, um, uh…

He has to be very careful how he says things because he is very far to the left. He can’t just say what he believes in a direct manner like most without everyone seeing just what he believes.

He can’t have that. Even with abortion because he is border line too radical even for those who consider themselves pro-choice.

Also, could it be that he is not quite as brilliant as some thought???

[quote]bald eagle wrote:
Also, could it be that he is not quite as brilliant as some thought???[/quote]

Ding! Ding! Ding!

He’s a brainwashed puppet that has an above average ability at rallying people. Not great, but above average. He wouldn’t be getting the flocks that he is without the extensive help of the media and others.

That “above my paygrade” comment really stuck in my craw.

Either man-up and admit that you believe life starts at conception (John McCain), or man-up and admit that you think life starts at some other point (many pro-choice advocates).

You are running for the most important single office in the country. The question had better bloody not be above your pay grade! Those are the types of questions the people are electing you to confront.

I have to admit though, it was a savvy save of something that could have been disastrous in that forum, but still. I hated that. I would have loved Warren to go after him a bit more just because of his avoidance. “well, lets unpack that a bit, Barack…may I call you Barack? You see, you’re running to be elected to the highest single office a man can hold in this country, so I expect you to have thought about these sorts of questions. It’s ok to admit you’re not sure yet, but let’s have an answer shall we?”

That being said, the boy is definitely not falling apart. If anything, I’d say John McCain’s campaign is letting him get ahead further than he would otherwise be able to. JM’s machine is not working very well and Obama’s is working very well for an “unvetted” and inexperienced candidate.

[quote]bald eagle wrote:
If the man does not have a teleprompter in front of him he is lost. uh, um, uh…

He has to be very careful how he says things because he is very far to the left. He can’t just say what he believes in a direct manner like most without everyone seeing just what he believes…[/quote]

Exactly. His days of speaking to a limited audience that share his beliefs are over. Now he has to duck and dodge.

I get the feeling the guy’s unravelling too.

Of course I live in my own little self-imposed Ann Coulter, Rush, Fox, WSJ, Townhall, NRO, Michelle Malkin, Victor Hanson, Charles Krauthammer universe …

But I like my universe …

Now we are entering a stretch of the campaign where Obama is trying to “sound tough” as he continues to slip against McCain. It is painful to watch, but more importantly, it undermines the very theme that he has been touting since he announced his candidacy.

There is no question Obama is reeling some. What was interesting was that the now damning “pay grade” question was posed by Warren as a kind-of legal question, one that a Presidential candidate and a former constitutional law lecturer should have an informed opinion on.

Obama has demonstrated his shallowness and lack of authenticity - but one of the most curious developments is how the man touted as the greatest orator, like, ever (“Lincolnesque!!”) has been so bad at public speaking and communicating. The evasiveness, the “uhs”, the lack of command - these are supposed to be the areas where he smokes other candidates.

One commentator said it well the other day (paraphrase):

“In an election year that should have been a Democratic cake walk, the Republicans put up the one candidate that could win, and the Democrats put up the one candidate that could lose”.

Yep.

I had to google Kevin Federline.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
"This week, Barack Obama’s challenge is to select a running mate who’s young, hip, and whose accomplishments in life don’t overshadow Obama’s. Allow me to suggest Kevin Federline. [/quote]

Kevin Federline as VP would be a risky move. Let’s not forget how he was able to upstage Britney by being a more competent parent. I wouldn’t underestimate Kevin.

He was never together.

He will never win. There are not enough fat white women to vote him in.

[quote]mmllcc wrote:
He was never together.

He will never win. There are not enough fat white women to vote him in.[/quote]

But sadly there are enough braindead, zombie like Black people to vote him in.

If they turn out to vote this election that is. If anyone turns out to vote in this joke of an election

[quote]lixy wrote:
I had to google Kevin Federline.[/quote]

Good for you. Seriously.

I love how everyone on here basically despises the idea of Obama being president.

Too bad Steve Colbert isn’t running.

Too bad indeed. I’d probably vote for Colbert 1) because he’s hilarious and 2) out of protest for the whole stinking system.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Now we are entering a stretch of the campaign where Obama is trying to “sound tough” as he continues to slip against McCain. It is painful to watch, but more importantly, it undermines the very theme that he has been touting since he announced his candidacy.

There is no question Obama is reeling some. What was interesting was that the now damning “pay grade” question was posed by Warren as a kind-of legal question, one that a Presidential candidate and a former constitutional law lecturer should have an informed opinion on.

Obama has demonstrated his shallowness and lack of authenticity - but one of the most curious developments is how the man touted as the greatest orator, like, ever (“Lincolnesque!!”) has been so bad at public speaking and communicating. The evasiveness, the “uhs”, the lack of command - these are supposed to be the areas where he smokes other candidates.

One commentator said it well the other day (paraphrase):

“In an election year that should have been a Democratic cake walk, the Republicans put up the one candidate that could win, and the Democrats put up the one candidate that could lose”.

Yep.[/quote]

Well, he’s having some difficulties, but I’m not sure he’s ‘falling apart’. I think McCain isn’t taking the right tack to beat him down soundly on his vulnerabilities, and I think Obama’s campaign is doing a good job overall of keeping his image up. Particularly considering he’s so young and “unvetted”.

Obama has a powerful “cult of personality”.
His meteoric rise has peaked, and probably too early for him.

We are entering the hardest part of the election, and I don’t think he is prepared. He practically walked into the Senate, and then his run for the Democratic nomination had him riding a giant wave.

Right at the end of caucuses I saw his peak, and if it had happened earlier, we would have Hilary as the Democratic nominee.

The funny thing is last year, (I think it was last year,) the Democrats had a speaker at their big meeting, who told them that if they want to win, then do not discuss the issues. Instead put out feel good messages.

From what I have seen, Obama has taken this idea to heart.

With his star fading, and at the hardest part of the election, dealing with a very experienced competition, and never having to deal with this kind of challenge before, regardless of how his handlers prep him, I am betting on McCain in this election.

But I am voting for Paris Hilton.