T Nation

Is Not Being Symmetrical a Big Deal?

I feel that somewhat stronger with right limbs; whenever I workout the legs or even lats, I feel that the right side works better. When I’m doing dumbbell rows even though I work each side independently, I feel I have a better pull on the right side. When I’m doing squats, I feel that most of the power comes from the right leg. Are imbalances such a big deal when trying to put on some muscle?

I think you have to expect a certain amount of imbalances simply due to our natural tendency to have a dominant side.

Unless you’re competing onstage (and being judge on symmetry), and have a very noticeable issue, I doubt anyone else will ever comment unless you bring it to their attention. I always had a slight discrepency between my right and left arms. No one ever seemed to notice, although I admittedly pumped the hell out of my weaker arm before getting onstage - more likely to alleviate any mental concerns I might have had than physical ones.

S

no one is perfectly symmetrical.

we are in-fact asymmetrical. Look at your eyes in a mirror. Are they IDENTICAL?

That is life. Symmetry is nothing to be concerned imo.

[quote]victoralejandro wrote:
I feel that somewhat stronger with right limbs; whenever I workout the legs or even lats, I feel that the right side works better. When I’m doing dumbbell rows even though I work each side independently, I feel I have a better pull on the right side. When I’m doing squats, I feel that most of the power comes from the right leg. Are imbalances such a big deal when trying to put on some muscle? [/quote]

Which testicle hangs lower? You need to adjust this every set to shift your centre of mass otherwise yeah, one side will have to work a bit harder leading to more gainz on that side. Also, do an even number of sets - you’ll then have more symmetry.

As far as physique goes I think no one notices, but I feel that my weaker sides of my body in certain parts ( i.e. my left shoulder, my right hip, my right knee) are more prone to injury so I try to fix assymetries for this reason

[quote]tsantos wrote:
Which testicle hangs lower?[/quote]
In almost 80% of guys, it’s Lefty.

[quote]victoralejandro wrote:
I feel that somewhat stronger with right limbs; whenever I workout the legs or even lats, I feel that the right side works better. When I’m doing dumbbell rows even though I work each side independently, I feel I have a better pull on the right side. When I’m doing squats, I feel that most of the power comes from the right leg. Are imbalances such a big deal when trying to put on some muscle? [/quote]
In addition to what everyone’s said (that visual differences aren’t a huge deal unless you’re getting on stage), I’d just say to be aware if there’s a drastic strength difference between sides. Like, if you’re DB rowing 80x10 on the right side but can barely manage 60x10 on the left, that’s a problem waiting to happen.

Also, if you’re actually swaying or rotating while squatting because one leg is working that much more than the other, that’s obviously a technique issue that should be addressed ASAP.