T Nation

Is Neurotype 3 Program “Technical Mastery” Good for Mass or Mostly Strength?

That’s my main question. I took the test and I’m a type 3. I care about looks not strength, though I enjoy the strength side it’s just a positive side effect.

I have been lifting for years, including all the big lifts. I have a much easier time getting very lean (true 6 pack, some striations on shoulders and back) than I do gaining muscle. It would be an incredible outcome if I add 10lbs of true muscle. I am 178cm (5 10), 74kg (162lbs), very lean, and I have a small bone structure (thin wrists etc). I’ve been as heavy as 181lbs when trying to add mass, but I look very smooth at that weight.

Should I stick to the program as is, or add some assistance work for hypertrophy (per another Thib thread here ) where he suggested a Type 3 train 4 days a week and add 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps at the end of each workout?

I’ve lost muscle every time I’ve tried doing a pure strength type program (exclusively low reps, or a Pavel style wave system without going to failure). That being said, psychologically I would much rather push myself very hard on 1-6 reps than 8-20.

Thanks!

It seems like it is mostly for strength, but I can’t find a Thib Type 3 program for size.

There is only one Type 3 program on his site and there’s only ever been one. As a Type 3 myself I haven’t tried it but I have purchased both type 3 diets.

2 Likes

I bought the type 3 diet in December. I was “disappointed” to see relatively high carbs and low-ish protein but I have to say it has worked great for getting defined again after a relatively failed bulk. Energy levels have been fantastic too. I am a fan.

But I am still hesitating on whether I do Thib type 3 program, or Wendler 531 starting in April. Planning to gain mass again, which is so much harder for me than getting low bf%. I can gain weight, it’s not a lack of eating issue, but the quality of that weight gain is questionable.

Did you buy the old or new type 3 diet? I have both and felt the first was very informative and the new one was lacking in detail. Of course us Type 3’s love details. I had good results with 5/3/1 but like you I can’t say it was a lot of muscle. My bodyweight went up but I ended up feeling more fat than muscular. I’ve been doing CT’s new program the Best Workout Plan for Natural Lifters, the paid one, and I’m enjoying it. I’m finishing up week 3 this week.

I think it was the new diet, I bought it in December.

I really enjoyed the free best damn natural plan, ran it while trying to gain mass for 24 weeks (12 weeks part 1, 12 weeks part 2). I gained 20 lbs, according to scale it was 10lbs muscle and 10lbs fat (went from scale saying 12% to saying 17%). But now that I dieted down, I think it was mostly fat, or I managed to lose all the muscle back.

I look good right now in a bathing suit, but with clothes on it’s impossible to tell that I lift. “Athletic” would be the description fully clothed.

1 Like

There’s a type 3 program at the end of this article (two actually) and I made good gains following it (had to replace a few exercises because i didn’t have all the necessary equipment). https://thibarmy.com/german-volume-training-for-neurotype/

PS Protein is overrated and carbs help you recover.

2 Likes

Thanks @vince_k , I did the Poliquin GVT in 2019 and if I remember correctly I lost size.

One of the best programs for me over the past 3 years was the Poliquin template or 4 weeks accumulation followed by 4 weeks of intensification (Despite the fact that I would always look a bit worse during intensification phase, FYI). In particular, I used his arms program (one of his last e books), training 2 days on / 1 day off / 1 day on / 1 day off and repeating all over - ended up training every bodypart 6 times per month. The split was legs/arms/off/chest-back/off.

I am a fan of Poliquin.

1 Like

Frequency and volumes is killing for type 3 ! going to failure isn’t important too
I think also is very different 20 years old and 55 years old folks on same program ,
Type 3 is sensitive to recovery mode