T Nation

Is MYO 029 For Real?


#1

This has been reported to be the myostatin blocker we have all been waiting for. But, the only studies that I have seen referenced have been on rodents. I would think that due to the drugs potential ability to assist musclar dystrophy patients the pharma industry would want to push the envelope on this one. Anybody know anything further on MYO 029?


#2

For those who want to know:

Stamulumab (MYO-029[1]) is an experimental myostatin inhibiting drug developed by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals for the treatment of muscular dystrophy. MYO-029 was formulated and tested by Wyeth in Collegeville, Pennsylvania.[2] Myostatin is a protein that inhibits the growth of muscle tissue, MYO-029 is a recombinant human antibody designed to bind to and inhibit the activity of myostatin.[3]

Stamulumab is a G1 immunoglobulin antibody which binds to myostatin and prevents it from binding to its target site, thus inhibiting the growth-limiting action of myostatin on muscle tissue. Research completed in 2002 found that Stamulumab might one day prove to be an effective treatment for Duchenne muscular dystrophy[4]

They finished Phase 2 trials and should be releasing the publication soon. I don’t think it will be as great as it sounds though because it took the study a long time to be approved and published. It was supposed to be published last year but never was.

Expected launch date is 2012 and rumor has it that if you have a few grand you could buy 1 gram of this stuff through a Euro pharmacy that works with the US company. No clue if that’s true or not.


#3

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
For those who want to know:

Stamulumab (MYO-029[1]) is an experimental myostatin inhibiting drug developed by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals for the treatment of muscular dystrophy. MYO-029 was formulated and tested by Wyeth in Collegeville, Pennsylvania.[2] Myostatin is a protein that inhibits the growth of muscle tissue, MYO-029 is a recombinant human antibody designed to bind to and inhibit the activity of myostatin.[3]

Stamulumab is a G1 immunoglobulin antibody which binds to myostatin and prevents it from binding to its target site, thus inhibiting the growth-limiting action of myostatin on muscle tissue. Research completed in 2002 found that Stamulumab might one day prove to be an effective treatment for Duchenne muscular dystrophy[4]

They finished Phase 2 trials and should be releasing the publication soon. I don’t think it will be as great as it sounds though because it took the study a long time to be approved and published. It was supposed to be published last year but never was.

Expected launch date is 2012 and rumor has it that if you have a few grand you could buy 1 gram of this stuff through a Euro pharmacy that works with the US company. No clue if that’s true or not.[/quote]

Good stuff Crew, thanks.


#4

You bet. I’ll be following the release of the trial and will update the thread when it comes out. It would be a great investment should things go well, but I’m doubting them at the moment.


#5

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
You bet. I’ll be following the release of the trial and will update the thread when it comes out. It would be a great investment should things go well, but I’m doubting them at the moment.[/quote]

Yeah. We’ll have to wait and see. But I will say that getting a drug to market is a very complicated process, often with lots of unanticipated bumps and delays. Even some of the most successful and promising drugs had a long road before they were finally approved and mass distributed.


#6

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
You bet. I’ll be following the release of the trial and will update the thread when it comes out. It would be a great investment should things go well, but I’m doubting them at the moment.

Yeah. We’ll have to wait and see. But I will say that getting a drug to market is a very complicated process, often with lots of unanticipated bumps and delays. Even some of the most successful and promising drugs had a long road before they were finally approved and mass distributed.[/quote]

Very true, however I don’t take it as a very good sign when the publication is delayed by 6+ months when the drug is only in Phase II.

After all Phase III is described as:

“Because of the size and comparatively long duration, Phase III trials are the most expensive, time-consuming and difficult trials to design and run, especially in therapies for chronic medical conditions”

That being said I would not count out this drug becoming like hGH or IGF-1 in that if it works for BB purposes the underground would start selling it as a research chemical. For BB’s this would be the best option as flooding the market with it would greatly reduce the costs.

Haha although that would hurt my investment in the company!

I would also like to see this drug hit the market for the benefit of all the handicapped people out there. It’s nice to see a drug that could really improve the life condition for many people.


#7

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
You bet. I’ll be following the release of the trial and will update the thread when it comes out. It would be a great investment should things go well, but I’m doubting them at the moment.

Yeah. We’ll have to wait and see. But I will say that getting a drug to market is a very complicated process, often with lots of unanticipated bumps and delays. Even some of the most successful and promising drugs had a long road before they were finally approved and mass distributed.

Very true, however I don’t take it as a very good sign when the publication is delayed by 6+ months when the drug is only in Phase II.

After all Phase III is described as:

“Because of the size and comparatively long duration, Phase III trials are the most expensive, time-consuming and difficult trials to design and run, especially in therapies for chronic medical conditions”

That being said I would not count out this drug becoming like hGH or IGF-1 in that if it works for BB purposes the underground would start selling it as a research chemical. For BB’s this would be the best option as flooding the market with it would greatly reduce the costs.

Haha although that would hurt my investment in the company!

I would also like to see this drug hit the market for the benefit of all the handicapped people out there. It’s nice to see a drug that could really improve the life condition for many people.[/quote]

Yeah. Definitely.