Is My Squat Depth Good Enough?

[quote]bignate wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
bignate wrote:
your belt looks like it is to wide for a meet as well, check the rule for your fed, try box squats where u must tap the box below parrallel or do this with pins as well go all the way down to proper depth, pause on the pins etc…

Dude, what the fuck are you talking about?

Those squats would pass in most IPA meets. And that belt is fine…if anything, its too SMALL. Get a better one from elitefts or inzer. A 10mm power belt will be just fine.

i had one of those belts, th eback is to wide it can only be 4’’ wide thats about 6’’ i beleive i may be wrong htough[/quote]

That looks like a generic sporting goods store belt, which is nowhere close to being too wide. I also highly doubt anyone is going to nit pick over the width of your belt in the IPA.

I’ve never really seen equipment get checked in the IPA. I don’t think anyone will say anything unless it is obviously different from the norm. If anything, they’ll probably tell you to get a real belt :slight_smile:

I would take those squats deeper, especially on an opener. Get a good one in so you stay in the meet. IPA judging can be all over the place. Some judges want to bury you, and others think they’re Santa Claus.

Also, if you don’t have experience squatting out of a mono, you can always walk them out. It isn’t hard to squat out of one, but I wouldn’t want to be doing it for the first time at a meet.

you’re REALLY close on all of them. but you are walking a fine line on getting 2 out 0f 3 white lights. keep workin at it.

Depth is almost there for a APF/IPA/SPF meet. I think it’s mostly a form issue. I recommend focusing on pushing your knees out more. I looks like they are coming forward vs. out.

First lift - Not really that close to parallel.

Second lift - A little better actually, starting to get there.

Third lift - Almost there, very close.

Although it’s hard to tell, your stance does look pretty narrow. I would work on going deep with lighter weights and finding a more comfortable stance to get the depth.

[quote]ckallander wrote:

Although it’s hard to tell, your stance does look pretty narrow. I would work on going deep with lighter weights and finding a more comfortable stance to get the depth. [/quote]

Are you a powerlifter or do you have (non-internet) experience with powerlifters?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
ckallander wrote:

Although it’s hard to tell, your stance does look pretty narrow. I would work on going deep with lighter weights and finding a more comfortable stance to get the depth.

Are you a powerlifter or do you have (non-internet) experience with powerlifters?[/quote]

What do you think?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
ckallander wrote:

Are you a powerlifter or do you have (non-internet) experience with powerlifters?[/quote]

Non-internet?!? Says the guy with 4000+ posts on the forum. What a hero.

I completely agree with ckallander. First one is definitely not deep enough, next two are getting there. It looks like you could try and put some more weight through your heels to make sure you don’t drift forward. There are some good articles on squatting technique. Pushing the knees out and “drilling” the heels into the floor really help me. Otherwise glute and hamstring streches will make it easier to squat low.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
ckallander wrote:

Are you a powerlifter or do you have (non-internet) experience with powerlifters?

What do you think?[/quote]

His skinny jeans give him HUGE carryover on the squat

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

Not a powerlifter but have hung around plenty. Specifically to watch them train. You don’t have to be an expert on the sport to see he wasn’t going deep enough (3rd lift was debatable). I wouldn’t want the guy to show up to the meet and not win because of his depth. I wasn’t discrediting him in any way.

[quote]brauny96 wrote:
His skinny jeans give him HUGE carryover on the squat[/quote]

You’d be amazed at the extra pop you get out of the hole.

[quote]Balle wrote:

Non-internet?!? Says the guy with 4000+ posts on the forum. What a hero.

[/quote]

Ah yes, because the number of posts I have on a message board totally has anything to do with my experience when it comes to powerlifting.

CK- I was just curious as I thought I remembered you from the skinny jeans clusterfuck. We have a lot of people who think that they know about powerlifting because they lift weights and want to give advice even though they don’t know the difference between wraps and straps.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

CK- I was just curious as I thought I remembered you from the skinny jeans clusterfuck. We have a lot of people who think that they know about powerlifting because they lift weights and want to give advice even though they don’t know the difference between wraps and straps.[/quote]

Totally understandable dude. I will forever be made fun of for wearing tight pants.

I don’t claim to be an expert on powerlifting by any means, but I do know when someone simply isn’t getting the requisite depth when squatting.

The first two are definitely high, but the third is close enough that you should get whites. I can not say if they would pass in the IPA because I have no idea how they judge raw lifters.

Your form is actually very good, so if that is as low as you are able to squat it appears to be a flexibility issue. If you have difficulty getting an additional 2" depth, you could try working on hip mobility. I am not that good with this stuff, but you should take a look at Joe Defranco’s Agile 8 lower body warmup as a starting point.

Another option is to try using Olympic lifting shoes. You can get a good, long-lasting pair for $80 and they will make a world of difference immediately. I can’t train raw and below parallel without them due to hip mobility issues. Link for the ones I have: http://www.vsathletics.com/product.php?xProd=1917&xSec=158

I would not widen your stance too much, because that tends to beat up the hips of a raw lifter over time.

If you were at IPA Senior Nationals this past weekend, the first two would not have passed. The third most likely.

Competed in the IPA New Jersey State. Got 3 white lights on all attempts. Thanks guys for the pointers.

295lb opener

325lb second attempt

345lb 3rd attempt

Bro you smoked the depth on those! shit you smoked all of them!

Congrats!