Friday

Deadlift 5/3/1
Squat 5 x 5 80% TM
Pronated BB Rows 3 x 5-8
Shrugs 3 x 5-8
Hanging Leg Raise 3 x AMRAP
DB Curls 3 x 12-15

No.

Go and ask Jim the same question. It is his program after all and he knows more than you and I.

Since your goal is to be small and fit (from your post on that turkish kid’s worship thread), why not stick to burpees, squat thrusters and the treadmill.

[quote]Depression Boy wrote:
Since your goal is to be small and fit, why not stick to burpees, squat thrusters and the treadmill.[/quote]
i want to be lean not small
what u talking about

Why not just do 5/3/1? It works. Its known to work for almost everyone. Messing with it isn’t going to make it better.

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
Why not just do 5/3/1? It works. Its known to work for almost everyone. Messing with it isn’t going to make it better. [/quote]

Yep.

Unless you have a good reason to believe there is something unique about your circumstances that Jim hasn’t taken into consideration, always assume Jim knows best. Always.

He’s one of the most respected coaches out there. You, with the greatest respect in the world, are not.

thx for responses
i will do 5/3/1 BBB 5x5 variation

How is this not 5/3/1? lol

I often wonder what it means when a program that uses 5/3/1 “isn’t 5/3/1.” Because it doesn’t exactly align with one of JW’s suggested templates? JW added those templates precisely for the people who need everything written out. If you’re doing 5/3/1 progression model on your main movements everyday, you’re doing 5/3/1. Choose the accessory work that best suits your goals. Period. There’s literally nothing wrong with what you wrote up. Try it and see how you respond.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

I often wonder what it means when a program that uses 5/3/1 “isn’t 5/3/1.” Because it doesn’t exactly align with one of JW’s suggested templates? JW added those templates precisely for the people who need everything written out. If you’re doing 5/3/1 progression model on your main movements everyday, you’re doing 5/3/1. Choose the accessory work that best suits your goals. Period. There’s literally nothing wrong with what you wrote up. Try it and see how you respond. [/quote]

Excellent response.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

I often wonder what it means when a program that uses 5/3/1 “isn’t 5/3/1.” Because it doesn’t exactly align with one of JW’s suggested templates? JW added those templates precisely for the people who need everything written out. If you’re doing 5/3/1 progression model on your main movements everyday, you’re doing 5/3/1. Choose the accessory work that best suits your goals. Period. There’s literally nothing wrong with what you wrote up. Try it and see how you respond. [/quote]

you are right man
i am going to do this program
thanks

[quote]barbedwired wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Excellent response.[/quote]

Agreed. I like the increased frequency of doing the four big movements, by using them as lighter accessory on the other days.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

I do not disagree with “how is this not 5/3/1”.

Having said that, have you ever tried doing 5x5 at 80% after giving it your all at 5/3/1. That (IMO) is combining two programs in one. Again, IMO, this is a classic case of doing too many things at once. 5/3/1 and accessory or 5x5 (whatever template) and accessory would be more then enough to get where he wants to go.

On a side note, OP’s name is offensive.

[quote]JFG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Having said that, have you ever tried doing 5x5 at 80% after giving it your all at 5/3/1. That (IMO) is combining two programs in one. Again, IMO, this is a classic case of doing too many things at once. 5/3/1 and accessory or 5x5 (whatever template) and accessory would be more then enough to get where he wants to go.

[/quote]

It’s 80% of training max. If he’s calculating training max as recommended, e.g. 90% of ‘true’ max, that’s actually only 70%. That’s not a lot. I also don’t see it as being too much; the 5x5 lifts serve as a heavy compound accessory. You know, a compound accessory like close grip bench, or front squat, that you might do at 70% of 1RM for 3x8. Wait a minute… that’s 24 reps at 70%! :wink:

And if it is hard: good. When is lifting weights supposed to be easy?

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
It’s 80% of training max. If he’s calculating training max as recommended, e.g. 90% of ‘true’ max, that’s actually only 70%.[/quote]

Meathead Arithmetic.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
It’s 80% of training max. If he’s calculating training max as recommended, e.g. 90% of ‘true’ max, that’s actually only 70%.[/quote]

Meathead Arithmetic.
[/quote]

Blame Wendler. People should just do my version. It’s called “10/6/3”. With this version, you don’t use a training max set at 90% of your true max. :wink:

[quote]goochadamg wrote:

[quote]goochadamg wrote:

Meathead Arithmetic.
[/quote]

Blame Wendler. People should just do my version. It’s called “10/6/3”. With this version, you don’t use a training max set at 90% of your true max. :wink: [/quote]

He’s saying that 80% of your TM is not 70% of your 1RM, even if your TM was exactly 90% of your 1RM (which after the first cycle, it probably won’t be)

Gotta agree with Gooch here.

70% (meathead math) vs 72% (.80 x .90)

At the end of the day, the fact that plates weight 5, 10, and 25 pounds will decide what the “actual” percentage is.

The numbers and percentages used in 5/3/1 are like mind control to make you use around 75-85%, for reps around 10/6/3. Higher percentages look cooler, so the “Training max” is used to back things off a little. There’s nothing wrong with that! It’s the best way to “convince” new guys to use productive ranges. The whole program uses auto regulation, training by “feel”, and the wave loading scheme, complex stuff, right from the beginning. It’s like an easy way to introduce advanced concepts. It’s genius!

The magic isn’t the numbers. It’s the way the numbers can guide anyone, even beginners through such an advanced training method, without really understanding “how” it works.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]goochadamg wrote:

[quote]goochadamg wrote:

Meathead Arithmetic.
[/quote]

Blame Wendler. People should just do my version. It’s called “10/6/3”. With this version, you don’t use a training max set at 90% of your true max. :wink: [/quote]

He’s saying that 80% of your TM is not 70% of your 1RM, even if your TM was exactly 90% of your 1RM (which after the first cycle, it probably won’t be)[/quote]

Ugh. Ok. It’s 72%. Same difference.

[quote]JFG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[/quote]

yea i ment to write grape but i forgot g, grape is my favorite vegetable
i am using 80% of the training max (90% of real max)

[quote]rape69 wrote:
… grape is my favorite vegetable
[/quote]

Calling infinite_shore …

[quote]rape69 wrote:
i am using 80% of the training max (90% of real max)[/quote]

I think what you posted is pretty decent, then.