Is My Heart Rate Okay?

Got one of those polar heart monitors to track cals in a workout too see how much I should diet…
Anyways noticed my heart rate get waaaaaay high.
Specially this leg day.

Average was 140bpm but during my lifts it spikes to 175-220
Is this safe or normal?
I don’t want to pass-out or have a heart attack at the gym.
For the whole hour during each set it would go way high and then come back down slowly. I always seem out of breathe and got a pace around a bit so I don’t get dizzy.

Using heartrate to estimate calorie expenditure can be very inaccurate. I have one of the Garmin GPS with heartrate monitor devices, and on two separate occasions I wore it for a full 24 hr period (even while sleeping) to see what my heartrate did. These were average days, one was a lifting day, and one was a climbing day. Both times, showed I expended roughly 2200 kcal, yet I would shrivel up and die at that few calories.

Start by taking your resting heart rate everyday at the same time. Which is broadly defined as 60-100bpm as regular. Do you have any history of high blood pressure or heart disease? 220 minus your age is also supposed to be your max heart rate

No matter what your HR monitor says, if you are experiencing shortness of breath that seems excessive for your level of exertion, you should have it checked out by your doctor.

Yeah. Was going harddd. 900 on the leg press. Looking at the chart you can even see the different exercises lol, leg press to lungess then someextension Supersets… BP is normally 135-75. I don’t do cardio to often tho. And I am 24. So 196 should be max.

[quote]JayOsler wrote:
Yeah. Was going harddd. 900 on the leg press. Looking at the chart you can even see the different exercises lol, leg press to lungess then someextension Supersets… BP is normally 135-75. I don’t do cardio to often tho. And I am 24. So 196 should be max.[/quote]
the 220 minus age is only accurate for about 75% of the population, so just saying your max is 196 is inaccurate. But what you should be concerned with is your blood pressure. You are well into the high range, and at 24, that is not good.

After going through your profile, the elevated heart rate and high blood pressure you are taking could be the result of two things, the cycle you ran (or are running still) and you being overweight. Neither of those are worth killing yourself for.

2200 cals of rock climbing for a 24 hour day. This monitor put me at 900 cals for an hour n 10 minute leg day if I added the other 24 hours oh man.

The doc said my BP is fine he was the one who measured itt.