T Nation

Is My Goal Achievable?

I am currently 5’-10" 155lbs and looking to hit 175lbs by July 1st. My Dailey intake of usually consists of around 2800-3500 calories and aprox. 300g of protein. I use Bowflex dumbbells for everything that I can and a bench that that sits decline, incline & flat of course. I use Bowflex machine (was givin to me) for the muscles I can�??t seem to hit with my dumbbells. I’m looking to have some questions answered through this post. 1. I have looked through the search engine and can�??t seem to find anything on dumbbell only workouts. If there is one can someone please post the link? 2. With my current intake of food which is usually broken up into about 5-6 meals can anyone give me some constructive criticism on my diet. My meals look like this,

1. 4 hardboiled eggs and whey prot shake
  2. 2 peanut butter sandwiches
  3. Bagel and cream cheese or muffin with prot shake
  4. Chicken or steak sometimes sandwich with various greens
  5. Bagel and cream cheese or muffin with prot shake
  6. Chicken, salmon, steak with various veggies with prot shake

What do I need to cut out and replace? I have been doing the following for about 3 weeks and I�??m starting to see some decent results but wondering if I could get better results. Another thing I have really been contemplating is testosterone but im kind of weary of this. I have been talking with a few people at GNC and have been getting some different options on this stuff. From the information I have gathered from everyone I have come to understand that there are 2 different types, a natural one and a pro-hormone!

I have been told that the pro-hormone will stack on about 15 lbs in 3 weeks but you have to take it in cycles and take something after the cycles to jump start your body�??s natural testosterone. The natural will put on about 5-6 lbs over 3 weeks and you don�??t have to take it in cycles and don�??t have to jump start your bodies natural test! How accurate is this? What do you guys recommend? I would prefer to go with the natural one if this is the case.

Here is the link for the pro-hormone
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3017368&cp&sr=1&origkw=test&kw=test&parentPage=search

Thanks for any input.

That is not a prohormone product. It is a cleverly and dubiously marketed plant extract mix in which one of the compounds has a similar shape to hormonal products but has no hormonal abilities in and of itself. I doubt it contains enough active ingredients to make a difference.

The Alpha Male you can find in the store here is a much more powerful product in this same category and it actually works at the recommended dosage. Further, you can stack it with Rez-V and really get a great boost to your natural hormone production.

For food, you need to drop some shakes and replace them with meat. Cooking in large batches every 3 days makes this much less time consuming.

More veggies, at least as much as you eat meat and eggs, you can cook these too, they will taste better.

Fruit, at least 3 pieces or equvalent servings.

Grains, consider losing the bread and replacing with quinoa, steel-cut oats and brown rice. Post-training meal could include sweet potatoes or Yams. The reason for this is you will get a more gradual release of the carbohyrate into your blood and it will be more likely to go to muscle tissue rather than be stored as fat. Wheat based grains have the quickest digestion and thus are more likely to end up in fat stores. The lower the glycemic index the better (ignore this for fruit).

You do seem to be making a good effort to get protein and I do see some greens, but the above recommendations would really crank your results.

I’m assuming you don’t have a gym membership? I would suggest getting one, IMO the bowflex sucks

Thanks for all the info Orban I will give this a shot. Martyh I do not have a gym membership and with my schedule I find it much easier to work out with a gym at home. Can I not do everything with dumbbells?

Orban how do you know that you can stack Alpha Male with REZ-V? lets say I take Alpha in cycles like it says and then when the bottle is done, am I going to have to “jump start” my natural test again?

You can do pretty much everything with dumbbells, it’s just limiting. It would benefit to increase weight, perform exercises such as squats, cleans, deadlifts, and other big movements that will help to put on mass.

[quote]martyh wrote:
You can do pretty much everything with dumbbells, it’s just limiting. It would benefit to increase weight, perform exercises such as squats, cleans, deadlifts, and other big movements that will help to put on mass.[/quote]

I’m trying to find more back workouts for back. How do you work your lats with dumbbells? I worked legs out last night with the Bowflex and it went half way decent. I did squat and calf raise the dumbbells.

[quote]RISINDEAD wrote:
martyh wrote:
You can do pretty much everything with dumbbells, it’s just limiting. It would benefit to increase weight, perform exercises such as squats, cleans, deadlifts, and other big movements that will help to put on mass.

I’m trying to find more back workouts for back. How do you work your lats with dumbbells? I worked legs out last night with the Bowflex and it went half way decent. I did squat and calf raise the dumbbells.[/quote]

DB Pullovers
DB Row

Thank you everyone for your time and knowledge!

Alpha Male will not shut down your natural testosterone production. In fact it will increase it. The cycling guidelines are to prevent you from becoming acclimated to the effects it has and prevent having to increase the dose.

As for the REZ-V, any beneficial effect on testosterone levels will be from estrogen antagonism.

Your hormone levels will most likely be elevated from normal, but still within the normal range, unlike even a 400mg per week dose of test will have your levels double high end of normal.

This is the key, you are modulating your levels to more optimal, not inhuman. Most prohormones never delivered this amount of boost anyhow with the exception of the 4-AD derivatives made by Biotest.

Your hormone levels should go back to normal after a run of Alpha Male and REZ-V, but you might stay a little higher if you incorporate the dietary recommendations. Although I would stay on REZ-V for the long haul. Taking resveratrol above 300mg per day has made my eczema 90% less severe.

For workouts, consider a pull-up bar you can put in a doorway. You can get some straps and do inverted rows and pushups too!

For legs, lunges with dumbells held overhead, stepups, and single leg romanian deadlifts will do the trick. Run sprints a couple times a week and you are good.

[quote]Peter Orban wrote:
Alpha Male will not shut down your natural testosterone production. In fact it will increase it. The cycling guidelines are to prevent you from becoming acclimated to the effects it has and prevent having to increase the dose.

As for the REZ-V, any beneficial effect on testosterone levels will be from estrogen antagonism.

Your hormone levels will most likely be elevated from normal, but still within the normal range, unlike even a 400mg per week dose of test will have your levels double high end of normal.

This is the key, you are modulating your levels to more optimal, not inhuman. Most prohormones never delivered this amount of boost anyhow with the exception of the 4-AD derivatives made by Biotest.

Your hormone levels should go back to normal after a run of Alpha Male and REZ-V, but you might stay a little higher if you incorporate the dietary recommendations. Although I would stay on REZ-V for the long haul. Taking resveratrol above 300mg per day has made my eczema 90% less severe.

For workouts, consider a pull-up bar you can put in a doorway. You can get some straps and do inverted rows and pushups too!

For legs, lunges with dumbells held overhead, stepups, and single leg romanian deadlifts will do the trick. Run sprints a couple times a week and you are good.[/quote]

Thank you very much Peter! You have been more than helpful in all aspects!

Get rid of the bagels and cream cheese. more peanut butter and more whole wheat bread. Add yams for dinner and somewhere in between. Terminate the bowflex because no t-man worth his salt will use them. You should really get into a well equipped gym so you can have all sorts of tools at your disposal to build your body. My two centavos.