T Nation

Is My Diet on Track?

I am a 6'1 185 skinny fat beginner, on the 5/3/1 program trying to put on some muscle. Here's what I ate today. I am not as focused on calories atm, as I am trying to eat healthy whole foods that will complement my effort in the gym. Am I on the right track?

Breakfast: 2 servings of oatmeal, ezekiel bread with peanut butter, glass of milk, raspberries and blackberries

GYM: 5/3/1 Squat day

PWO: 2 scoops of optimum nutrition whey

2 hours later: 1 chicken breast, 2 cups of raw broccoli, and whole wheat pasta

Dinner: 2 lean ground beef burgers (no bun), asparagus

Late night, 1 chicken breast and brocoli

You need more meals and cram more calories into your Peri-Work-out nutrition.
I for instance mix two parts protein powder, 1 part sugar mix with dextrose and maltodextrin and a few grams of sea salt as my own work out fuel. 50 grams 1 hr before workout, 50 grams during and 50 grams afterwards.

YOu could also use some eggs in your diet.

How big (in grams) are those chicken breasts/burgers?

2 4oz lean mean burgers. I can't give an exact measurement of the chicken breasts, but they are pretty huge

can you explain the sea salt? not calling you out just seriously interested. i think i can figure out the logic but im sure you will probably do a better job explaining it.

Where are the fats at? I would add whole eggs to that breakfast for starters.

No problem; since you sweat out sodium and potassium during your work-outs, it is optimal to replenish those electrolytes WHILE you're training. That way you'll recover faster.
Another measure to retain your electrolytes is by taking a several-minute-long cold shower after training.
Oh, and sea salt is richer in minerals than stone salt and also has a better sodium/potassium ratio.

crazy cool! i noticed anaconda and massive G's formula had sodium chloride and that explains why.