Is My Diet Leading to Excess Fat

My stats:

Age 21
Male
Height - 6 feet
Weight - 165 lbs.
Workout - Mon/Wed/Fri - Full body workout on those 3 days
Job - Office
Activity - I just workout, and my job requires a good amount of manual labor as I am the only young guy there, and all other co-workers are mainly women.

My diet:

Morning 7 AM

1. 2 cups of Kashi flakes with 1 cup of non fat milk + a calorie filler like some chicken breast or a little tiny extra meal to add up 200 more calories - 600 calories

or

1. I prepare a whole meal of what I cooked the day before, it usually consists of 3 servings of brown rice and topping it off with chicken breast or shrimp or whatever I have cooked along with the rice. - 600 calories

Mid Morning 10 AM

1. Shake consisting of 2 cups of non fat milk + 3 servings of dry uncooked oatmeal. + 2 slices of whole wheat bread with natural peanut butter - 700 calories

Lunch 1 - 1:30 PM

1. Again, basically whatever I cooked at home. Usually 3 servings of brown rice + whatever I cooked along with it (like chicken breast or fish) - 600 calories

Mid Afternoon 4:30 - 5 PM

1. Same as Mid Morning Meal except with no peanut butter sandwich - 500 calories

Dinner 7:30PM

1. Again, I would cook or prepare something I already cooked. These meals that I cook usually have brown rice as a calorie increaser, while I top it off with chicken breast or fish or shrimp. Sometimes I cook whole wheat pasta, sometimes I cook chicken breast/barley soup etc.

Night Make-Up Snack

This is basically a snack I ingest around 10 PM or so to fill in extra calories i may need to reach a bulking goal for the day. The snack is random ranging from some meat to a slice of whole wheat bread with a bit of natural peanut butter, whatever I can get my hand on. This snack is usually replaced by my protein shake unless I really need the extra calories from something else.

My supplements are:

Twin Labs Daily One Caps Multivitamin
EsterC 500 for Vitamin C
ON Natural Whey
FishSmart Fish Oil Caps - I take 3 caps a day which equals 900 MG of EPA, 600 MG of DHA and 450 MG of other Omega 3 fatty acids. It also provides around 3 G of mono/poly unsat fats altogether.

Anyway, I am never able to follow strict macronutrient methods as my week schedule is toppled by my job and I managed to pull this 5 meal a day at best for the time being. I can macronutrient the 3 main meals, but the MID meals need to be in shake form so I can drink it while working. Weekends I can macronutrient all meals, but I find it difficult to get in 6 meals so I stick to 5 meals a day on weekends also.

I am worried though about my carb intake. I am starting to realize I am going well over 400g of carbs due to the brown rice, whole wheat bread etc. that I eat…especially the rice as I use it as a calorie buffer to get meals to 400-500 calories and I top the remaining 100-200 with chicken breast or the like. I am nervous that while I bulk, alot of these carbs will pool into stored fat causing me to gain more fat than necessary even on a clean bulk.

Not to mention my dinner meal is also carb heavy, and I go to sleep around 3-4 hours later after eating that meal.

Anyone have any input?

Try it and see what happens, when I’m bulking and I see myself gaining too much fat I’ll lower carbs and hit some cardio, basically just adjust as needed. You might need more fats in there also, they can replace some of those carbs.
Later

I am reposting the diet with carb/protein/fat content in ITALICS and BOLD next to each meal. I am not too sure about the nutrition content of raw meats, so I will try my best to estimate its protein content and leave out its carb/fat content.

My diet:

Morning 7 AM

1. 2 cups of Kashi flakes with 1 cup of non fat milk + a calorie filler like some chicken breast or a little tiny extra meal to add up 200 more calories - 600 calories - 95g carb(22g being sugar)/27-32g protein/2g fat

or

1. I prepare a whole meal of what I cooked the day before, it usually consists of 3 servings of brown rice and topping it off with chicken breast or shrimp or whatever I have cooked along with the rice. - 600 calories - 96g carbs/15g-20g protein/3g fat

Mid Morning 10 AM

1. Shake consisting of 2 cups of non fat milk + 3 servings of dry uncooked oatmeal. + 2 slices of whole wheat bread with natural peanut butter - 700 calories - 144g carbs(32g being sugar)/43g protein/20g fat

Lunch 1 - 1:30 PM

1. Again, basically whatever I cooked at home. Usually 3 servings of brown rice + whatever I cooked along with it (like chicken breast or fish) - 600 calories - Same as morning meal

Mid Afternoon 4:30 - 5 PM

1. Same as Mid Morning Meal except with no peanut butter sandwich - 500 calories - 107g carbs(27g being sugar)/31g protein/9g fat

Dinner 7:30PM

1. Again, I would cook or prepare something I already cooked. These meals that I cook usually have brown rice as a calorie increaser, while I top it off with chicken breast or fish or shrimp. Sometimes I cook whole wheat pasta, sometimes I cook chicken breast/barley soup etc. - Same as morning meal, I don’t have the pasta/barley stats with me at the moment

Night Make-Up Snack

This is basically a snack I ingest around 10 PM or so to fill in extra calories i may need to reach a bulking goal for the day. The snack is random ranging from some meat to a slice of whole wheat bread with a bit of natural peanut butter, whatever I can get my hand on. This snack is usually replaced by my protein shake unless I really need the extra calories from something else - Shake = 12.5g carbs(7.5g being sugar)/60g protein/3.75g fat

I have been on this diet for 7 months now, and I have gained 25 lbs.

I was a skinny-chubby person when I started, and now I still have the chubby with a bit more it seems, but more muscle.

I am getting a cheap digital camera, as I desperately need to post photos so you folks can judge my progress better.

I got the best solution for you. Have your schedule contain 6! meals not 5. Have them a little smaller than your regular 5 and with those litte extras, amount them into a 6th meal. This way, you’re not topping your meals off to reach 600+ calories each and this way you can reach your goal of however many calories you need to bulk.

Plus, 6 meals speeds up your metabolism more than 5, which in turn maintains or even reduces your fat. So, make your schedule contain 6 slighty smaller meals so that you don’t have to add things to reach your goal.

You’re 6’0 165. WTF how can you possibly be “fat” at that H/W?

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
You’re 6’0 165. WTF how can you possibly be “fat” at that H/W?[/quote]

Agreed, you are probably just not training hard enough and not putting those calories to work!

You said you were chubby, and now you still are but have some muscle. Well the question you need to ask yourself (beyond the most important, “am I training as hard as I can?”) is if the amount of muscle you are gaining is justifying the amount of fat you are gaining. Nobody here has any idea what you look like now or what you looked like before.

My intuition is that you are in “analysis paralysis” and need to spend more of your energy focusing on just making good, solid, meal choices, getting enough food and training your ass off. Many on here have made great progress without ever counting calories or macronutrients.

Are you eating any fruits or green vegetables? Salads? Try subbing or adding vegies for/to your some of your rice and see what happens.

Fragmentation, the way you are eating will promote fat gain in some people, and it won’t in others. There’s no way to tell. We all have different caloric requirements and activity levels. The trick is finding out what YOUR body requires, and that takes playing around with things a bit experimenting and then evaluating your progress (or not!) and adjusting and tweaking your plan.

Weigh and measure yourself every week and get a feel for how your body is responding over a month’s period of time. There isn’t any damage you might do in a month’s period of time that you couldn’t undo.

What you’re wanting to do is go up slowly in scale weight each and every week – slow and steady – with as little fat gain as possible. A certain amount is inevitable. A half pound per week is good.

What I would do a bit differently is replace as many of the starchy carbs (oatmeal, pasta, bread, brown rice) with steamed or raw fibrous green veggies, fruit and beans. Consume those starchy carbs in the 2 meals after your workout, which is when your body needs 'em most and is better able to process 'em. Truth be told, you want an insulin spike PWO.

Limit your cardio to two sessions of HIIT a week on days you don’t lift. That will give you the cardiovascular and metabolism boosting benefits you need.

Adjust your plan as you see fit and give it a test ride for about a month and then check back and let us know how you’re doing. If you do end up needing help tweaking and adjusting your plan, track me down. I’d be glad to help.

Cycle your carbs. Protein and carbs before noon, protein and fats after noon.

I’m 6’0 240 and I’m a little chubby, no way you need to worry at your weight. Just eat and if you are getting too fat eat a little less. FIgure it out yourself we can’t tell if youre gonna get fat or not.

And what kind of manual labor do you do at the office?