T Nation

Is My Cutting Diet Appropriate?

Little background is I’m 21 years old been lifting consistently for the last 5 months.

Estimated one rep max using online calculator.

Bench press: 275 lbs up from 210 lbs at the start of May
Squat: 475 lbs up from 410 lbs at the start of May
Deadlift: 475 lbs up from 410 lbs at the start of May

Weight: 198.6 lbs down from 217.2 at the start of august.
Waist: 37 inch’s down from 42.8 at the start of august.
Arms/legs/chest 17/44/27. Those measurements haven’t changed much since august.

I’m satisfied with the weight i have lost so far. However i was not following a real bodybuilder cutting diet i was just avoiding shit food and not eating enough (twice a day). Now i want to get to single digit body fat. Here is the diet that i made based on my food preferences and videos like the 6 foods that work and just basic bodybuilding knowledge.

Meal 1: 3 large eggs, 3/4 cup liquid egg whites, 1/3 cup whole wheat oats

Meal 2: Protein shake 1 scoop (24 grams) with 1 cup skim milk

Meal 3: Chicken breast or other lean meat with 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice

Meal 4: Protein shake 1 scoop (24 grams) with 1 cup skim milk

Meal 5: Can of Tuna with 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice

Meal 6: Protein shake 1 scoop (24 grams) with 1 cup skim milk

I also drink about 4 liters of water spread throughout the day. I basically want it to be similar to a pre-contest diet without the contest.

Any thoughts on this an appropriate diet for my goals is welcome.

How have you responded to low carbs before? When you ate the shit food before, was there a lot of carbs or just too much grease/fat?

Personally, I would drop the carbs. For me I only seem to cut well on an anabolic type diet, just dropping most carbs all together. If it were me mine would look something like this (I’ll keep things somewhat consistent so you wouldnt have to stray far from what you had):

Meal 1: 3 large eggs, 3/4 cup liquid egg whites, 2-3 links breakfast sausage (turkey has less overall cal.)

Meal 2: Protein shake 1 scoop (24 grams) with 1 water and 1tbsp natty nut butter

Meal 3: Chicken breast or other lean meat with 1/4 cup or more fibrous veggies (butter or butterbuds for lower cal.)

Meal 4: Protein shake 1 scoop (24 grams) with 1 cup skim milk (Post workout or make the same as meal 2)

Meal 5: Can of Tuna with 1/4 cup or more fibrous veggies

Meal 6: Protein shake 1 scoop (24 grams) with 1tbsp natty nut butter or 1/2 cup cottage cheese

Just a thought. This is simple and easy. Lower on the carbs but a lot of people respond well to that. Also, the pre-contest diets are fairly low carb too, but need a little bit more fat unless the calories need to be super low for some…
Hope it looks ok, good luck

[quote]fmaurice wrote:
How have you responded to low carbs before? When you ate the shit food before, was there a lot of carbs or just too much grease/fat?

Personally, I would drop the carbs. For me I only seem to cut well on an anabolic type diet, just dropping most carbs all together. If it were me mine would look something like this (I’ll keep things somewhat consistent so you wouldnt have to stray far from what you had):

Meal 1: 3 large eggs, 3/4 cup liquid egg whites, 2-3 links breakfast sausage (turkey has less overall cal.)

Meal 2: Protein shake 1 scoop (24 grams) with 1 water and 1tbsp natty nut butter

Meal 3: Chicken breast or other lean meat with 1/4 cup or more fibrous veggies (butter or butterbuds for lower cal.)

Meal 4: Protein shake 1 scoop (24 grams) with 1 cup skim milk (Post workout or make the same as meal 2)

Meal 5: Can of Tuna with 1/4 cup or more fibrous veggies

Meal 6: Protein shake 1 scoop (24 grams) with 1tbsp natty nut butter or 1/2 cup cottage cheese

Just a thought. This is simple and easy. Lower on the carbs but a lot of people respond well to that. Also, the pre-contest diets are fairly low carb too, but need a little bit more fat unless the calories need to be super low for some…
Hope it looks ok, good luck[/quote]

Back when i was eating all crap food everything was calorie dense cause my food of choice was MC doubles from the dollar menu, i put down like 5-6 of those per serving almost every day. The sample diet i gave you has about 100 carbs including trace carbs from stuff like protein shakes.

Cottage cheese looks intriguing to add to shakes for more protein. Does it have a strong taste that will over power the flavor of the protein? Taste has always been an issue with me when it comes to shakes most of them make me gag.

Your thighs are 44 inches?

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:
Your thighs are 44 inches?[/quote]

Lol my mistake was suppose to be my chest measurement.

[quote]Matthaeus wrote:
Little background is I’m 21 years old been lifting consistently for the last 5 months.

Estimated one rep max using online calculator.

Bench press: 275 lbs up from 210 lbs at the start of May
Squat: 475 lbs up from 410 lbs at the start of May
Deadlift: 475 lbs up from 410 lbs at the start of May

Weight: 198.6 lbs down from 217.2 at the start of august.
Waist: 37 inch’s down from 42.8 at the start of august.
Arms/legs/chest 17/44/27. Those measurements haven’t changed much since august.

I’m satisfied with the weight i have lost so far. However i was not following a real bodybuilder cutting diet i was just avoiding shit food and not eating enough (twice a day). Now i want to get to single digit body fat. Here is the diet that i made based on my food preferences and videos like the 6 foods that work and just basic bodybuilding knowledge.

Meal 1: 3 large eggs, 3/4 cup liquid egg whites, 1/3 cup whole wheat oats

Meal 2: Protein shake 1 scoop (24 grams) with 1 cup skim milk

Meal 3: Chicken breast or other lean meat with 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice

Meal 4: Protein shake 1 scoop (24 grams) with 1 cup skim milk

Meal 5: Can of Tuna with 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice

Meal 6: Protein shake 1 scoop (24 grams) with 1 cup skim milk

I also drink about 4 liters of water spread throughout the day. I basically want it to be similar to a pre-contest diet without the contest.

Any thoughts on this an appropriate diet for my goals is welcome.
[/quote]

Damn dude, that’s a pretty strict diet. How long do you plan on doing it for? First, congrats on your progress so far, that’s bad ass. Anyway, my advice would be leave the carbs, and maybe find a way to work in some more enjoyable foods. If you can stick to a diet that strict, more power to you, but I would get bored with that pretty quick. Also, I don’t know what your body fat is, but I usually calculate calorie intake based on lean mass. Make sure to recalculate as your body fat drops.

[quote]Matthaeus wrote:

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:
Your thighs are 44 inches?[/quote]

Lol my mistake was suppose to be my chest measurement.[/quote]

Oh thank goodness :slight_smile:

I would highly recommend the Get Shredded Diet, if you want a more aggressive approach. Otherwise, to modify you’re current diet, I would add in green veggies with every meal, toss in some health fat. In the first 2 weeks, have no carbs, other than veggies. After the initial 2 week phase, have one cheat meal every 7 days, and then every 5 days as you get leaner.

Search up thibs’ refined physique transformation for a better guideline.

Hope this helps.

Anything is really better than what you had before… so what you said would be absolutely fine in comparison.

Cottage cheese is very salty, I would eat it separately and just drink the shake on its own. plus there is casein in the cottage cheese, just eat it in the morning/night and have the shake for faster absorption. If you REALLY hate it, but still would like to incorporate it try adding just a bit of fruit sauce like strawberry sauce or do like my friend does and just tilt his head back and try to miss his tongue bc he hates it.

Message me if you want a place to get supp flavoring powder, it saved me when I tried casein hydro, which was like drinking bleach or vinegar or something… Whatever you do, make it as easy for you as you can so you can adjust, your body will get used to the flavor of these things if you eat things more often.