Is Meat That Important?

Not as much as I should but yes, I recycle and feed table scraps to our chickens, est.

Yep, you’re absolutely right and it’s why I laugh when hipsters talk about feeding the world while condemning GMO and non-organic foods.

I referenced the water required for protein, not calories. I’m talking about a specific macro. Obviously animal proteins are superior to grain proteins for building muscle, but animal proteins are not necessary to survive, or even thrive. Many vegetarians and vegans live long happy lives without meat.

The thread was about the importance of meat in a bodybuilders diet. It really depends how important bodybuilding is to a person to be able to answer that question. For most recreational people, I would say it’s not terribly important.

That’s fine. I didn’t nor have I ever disputed that. The point is, even if we eliminated meat production entirely we would still need to produce at least some of these same agricultural products as dietary replacements and, as clearly stated by your link, it’s not sustainable.

I assumed you posted the link within the context of the thread and it was posted right after Jasmin and I were talking about sustainability. If that wasn’t your intent then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I recycle…

Hipsters and tree huggers turn off a lot of people with their over the top craziness.

But it’s cool to see regular dudes, meatheads even , being a little more conscious of conservation.

We usually re-purpose stuff as much as possible, then recycle it.

What is a “work bin”?

Our municipality gives everyone a a giant “green bin” that you put food waste, napkins, paper towels, grease, and lawn waste into. I use that in combination with out compost pile.

We have a small vegetable garden and the wife keeps bringing up the chicken talk every few months. We’re moving in the foreseeable future so I will entertain it at the next place.

Having chickens is really not that bad. If you have the space the eggs are just better.

It’s a space issue for the most part. I’m up to it, just not with our current property.

It was supposed to say “worm” bin. It’s kind of the same idea as a compost pile, but you use strips of cardboard and junkmail as “bedding” for worms. Then you feed them your scraps and the worms turn it all into super fertilizer. Some lady write a book called “Worms Eat My Garbage,” if you’re interested.