Is Meat That Important?

I think he is only 25 and has been doing strongman for less than 5 years. He is a freak of nature.

Back on topic. I agree being vegan will limit your gains. To what degree? I don’t know.

Funny story about Hafthor. He called a tattoo artist in Iceland and asked how much he usually charges for a full sleeve. The tattoo artist gave him a price. Hafthor went into the shop and told the tattoo artist that he was the guy who called about the sleeve. The tattoo artist said “yea that price isn’t for you man!”

x2.

Ummm…I think this is my reply:

“Not that impressed” by a guy who can pull half a ton. Riiiiiiight.

1 Like

Another thing I find hard to wrap my head around is the macros for a vegan bodybuilding diet that I’ve seen floating around. They say you eat 80% carbs and 10% for both fat and protein. That seems crazy. I can’t imagine that would be a good diet for bodybuilding.

Not all vegans follow this. A lot of the ones I saw followed the traditional macros. These vegan bodybuilders aren’t huge, massive beasts or anything, but I still think they’ve developed decent physiques and strength. I guess it depends on your goals, beliefs, etc. to decide which path is best for you. I feel that my goals are modest enough and doable on a low to no meat diet.

Yeah I agree it’s a me problem.

1 Like

jasmincar do you have a 400lb bench?

Man, Layne Norton totalled 798kg at world’s last year to place second and you think repping 705kg (ie 90-95% of your actual total and probably unpeaked) is just okay?

I actually wrote my numbers in this thread.

Yes, to consider yourself ‘‘good’’ you would have to at least lift as much as the odd lifts of some relatively untrained people.

jasmincar, I assume we’ll be seeing you at WSM next year then, right?

I’ll take that as a no.

Weird that you would use those numbers as an example of what a vegetarian would never achieve, having never achieved them as - I presume - an omnivore…

What I find weird here is your interpretation of what I wrote.

First thing I never said a vegetarian would never achieve something. It just happen that personally I have never seen a really ‘‘jacked’’ natural vegetarian. I would really like it if there was any because I want to believe.

Second you don’t have to presume anything on what I achieved in training since I clearly wrote what I lift in relation to what amounts I find ok for someone like me and for what reasons. It doesn’t matter if I haven’t reached those levels yet.

Ok, well when you said this:

the only logical inference is that you don’t think a vegetarian could achieve it, but the fact that you yourself have not achieved it serves to make your argument wholly ridiculous

1 Like

It’s not. How would I know if some vegetarian can achieve something or not, if some really fit people are really vegetarian but aren’t talking about it or anything. I have just never seen any in person or on the internet and I won’t take a chance with it if I am not sure.

I don’t even know why you are wasting my time and yours trying to corner me on nothing like that. I won’t bother trying to rephrase what I said since it’s already pretty clear.

That being said I don’t even know why people think those numbers are that great and ridiculous. There is so many 15 years old fatboys squatting 500lbs, dorks benching 350lbs for 1 rep, roids bro doing 400lbs or guys with long arms who can jack up 500-600lbs. There is many examples on this site of all those things. There is also all the big boned monkey guys who are strong all around. I wouldn’t want to look like a neandertal anyway so at least they have at least the lifting thing going on for them, but that’s another thing.

A few person on this site are also doing alot of reps with 405 lbs on the bench and 500 lbs on the squat and claiming natural. I have never seen 650 for many reps but some not that hardcore guys here (not the same ones) could do 10+ reps with 600lbs.I don’t think it’s far-fetched for a natural deadlifter guy like me, but I am willing to get down to 600lbs to 400/500/600 for the average guy. Quite a few can do more than 700lbs for one rep.

You’re a really weird guy, jasmincar.

A strange egg indeed.

2 Likes

Also the whole thing is ‘‘Is meat that important?’’ or would it be a good thing to become or stay vegetarian. So for me, as a member of a weightlifting forum and always in the perspective of the ‘‘relentless pursuit of muscle’’,or whatever the motto of this site was or is, being where I am and looking ahead in term of training, would it be a good thing? In this perspective show me a 6’0 guy with a normal frame, normal genetic, let’s say in his late twenties since I am 25 and who can rep with 400/500/650 and who is a vegetarian. Enough of that now.

Lol…

This guy should just quit. It’s sad watching such mediocrity.

32:20

So now juice monkeys who don’t know how to train are repping these numbers on the bench? I thought they struggle with 15lb dumbbells and still manage to get big.

You fellows should make up your minds. Seriously. These stories just keep changing and changing depending on the topic at hand.

1 Like