T Nation

Is Main Lift 'Volume Work' Necessary?


#1

Jim

After the 531 sets, is it necesary to do "volume work" (FSL etc) with the same/similar lift? What purpose does it serve?

In BBB templates "volume" is used to induce hypertrophy, whereas in RP templates hypertrophy is induced via "intensity" so maybe volume isn't needed?

Thanks.


#2

Google Dave Tate’s supplemental lifts write-up.


#3

Thanks TX. I have found the article - it’s a long one! - so will need some time to read and digest it. Appreciated.


#4

[quote]tokon wrote:
Jim

After the 531 sets, is it necesary to do “volume work” (FSL etc) with the same/similar lift? What purpose does it serve?

In BBB templates “volume” is used to induce hypertrophy, whereas in RP templates hypertrophy is induced via “intensity” so maybe volume isn’t needed?

Thanks.[/quote]

It isn’t 100% needed but we do supplemental work on the Rest Pause templates.

Do what thou wilt. I only try to write programs that have helped and will help others. If you feel you can use it and work with it, by all means. I’ve discussed the “why” a hundred times.


#5

Thanks for the response Jim, appreciated.

BTW, I was not criticising merely asking.

It appears that, as you were answering this I was actually in the process of posting a new thread which sort of explains my query about “main lift volume”!

Reading Dave Tate’s article that TX referred me to was also useful.

Thanks for the great system and continual reinforcement of the principles it is based upon.


#6

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]tokon wrote:
Jim

After the 531 sets, is it necesary to do “volume work” (FSL etc) with the same/similar lift? What purpose does it serve?

In BBB templates “volume” is used to induce hypertrophy, whereas in RP templates hypertrophy is induced via “intensity” so maybe volume isn’t needed?

Thanks.[/quote]

It isn’t 100% needed but we do supplemental work on the Rest Pause templates.

Do what thou wilt. I only try to write programs that have helped and will help others. If you feel you can use it and work with it, by all means. I’ve discussed the “why” a hundred times.[/quote]

Hi Jim.

What kind of supplemental you use after rest pause/fsl widowmaker sets? I have done only some light assistance after hitting PR set and fsl amrap/rest pause set.

For example one of my squat workouts on 28 weeks plan was:

Agile 8
Box Jumps 3x3
Squat 5/3/1, PR set, Fsl x18
Ab wheel & Back Raises 50 reps
Hill sprints ~40 meters x 6


#7

[quote]Sami-84 wrote:

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]tokon wrote:
Jim

After the 531 sets, is it necesary to do “volume work” (FSL etc) with the same/similar lift? What purpose does it serve?

In BBB templates “volume” is used to induce hypertrophy, whereas in RP templates hypertrophy is induced via “intensity” so maybe volume isn’t needed?

Thanks.[/quote]

It isn’t 100% needed but we do supplemental work on the Rest Pause templates.

Do what thou wilt. I only try to write programs that have helped and will help others. If you feel you can use it and work with it, by all means. I’ve discussed the “why” a hundred times.[/quote]

Hi Jim.

What kind of supplemental you use after rest pause/fsl widowmaker sets? I have done only some light assistance after hitting PR set and fsl amrap/rest pause set.

For example one of my squat workouts on 28 weeks plan was:

Agile 8
Box Jumps 3x3
Squat 5/3/1, PR set, Fsl x18
Ab wheel & Back Raises 50 reps
Hill sprints ~40 meters x 6

[/quote]

The Widowmaker (FSL) is the supplemental lift for that. Remember that we always have the main work for the main lift (usually PR work or 5’s PRO). Then after that we do supplemental work (FSL or SST or SSL or BBB or BBS or nothing at all).

Really the way that I have tweaked the program is that you have 6 things to plug shit into to. The trick is to make sure things compliment each other or at least, not shit all over each other.


#8

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]Sami-84 wrote:

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]tokon wrote:
Jim

After the 531 sets, is it necesary to do “volume work” (FSL etc) with the same/similar lift? What purpose does it serve?

In BBB templates “volume” is used to induce hypertrophy, whereas in RP templates hypertrophy is induced via “intensity” so maybe volume isn’t needed?

Thanks.[/quote]

It isn’t 100% needed but we do supplemental work on the Rest Pause templates.

Do what thou wilt. I only try to write programs that have helped and will help others. If you feel you can use it and work with it, by all means. I’ve discussed the “why” a hundred times.[/quote]

Hi Jim.

What kind of supplemental you use after rest pause/fsl widowmaker sets? I have done only some light assistance after hitting PR set and fsl amrap/rest pause set.

For example one of my squat workouts on 28 weeks plan was:

Agile 8
Box Jumps 3x3
Squat 5/3/1, PR set, Fsl x18
Ab wheel & Back Raises 50 reps
Hill sprints ~40 meters x 6

[/quote]

The Widowmaker (FSL) is the supplemental lift for that. Remember that we always have the main work for the main lift (usually PR work or 5’s PRO). Then after that we do supplemental work (FSL or SST or SSL or BBB or BBS or nothing at all).

Really the way that I have tweaked the program is that you have 6 things to plug shit into to. The trick is to make sure things compliment each other or at least, not shit all over each other.
[/quote]

Thanks. Thats how I have understood it.


#9

Volume doesn’t produce results unless you’re a steroid user…intensity does. I recommend the RP template.


#10

[quote]DanProsser wrote:
Volume doesn’t produce results unless you’re a steroid user…intensity does. I recommend the RP template.[/quote]

Interested in why you say that Dan.

At least as regards 531 templates (i.e. BBB), it seems quite a few think the volume works.


#11

I also have the idea that volume and its slow increase is the main factor for gaining strength. Specially for natural lifters.

9 out of 10 programs you’ll see will rely on volume. Why? Because most lifters get better time gains with high volume than low volume approach. Of course there is million things to consider when considering what amount of volume is enough, and it should not be stressed, your body will tell if you’re doing too much. Better to start with lower volume and increase from there when you feel you’re stalling.