T Nation

Is Liddell More or Less Done?

Obviously after a hard fight a fighter might want some R&R and a few nights on the town. But by now, you’d figure that Liddell would want to keep it in San Luis Obispo, get the old fire back, train hard and put together a strong comeback attempt.

Instead, he’s still doing the playboy/celebrity thing, making several night club appearances here in vegas a week. So what, am I being to critical, or is this guy throwing in the towel and preparing to coast a career out of his former glory and bad-boy image, ala Tito Ortiz?

[quote]jm89074 wrote:
Obviously after a hard fight a fighter might want some R&R and a few nights on the town. But by now, you’d figure that Liddell would want to keep it in San Luis Obispo, get the old fire back, train hard and put together a strong comeback attempt.

Instead, he’s still doing the playboy/celebrity thing, making several night club appearances here in vegas a week. So what, am I being to critical, or is this guy throwing in the towel and preparing to coast a career out of his former glory and bad-boy image, ala Tito Ortiz? [/quote]

He’s more of a celebrity than anyone in the UFC. I certainly don’t think he’s done, but his lifestyle choices will either make or break him as a UFC competitor.

I can’t blame the guy for living the Playboy lifestyle at the moment.

Get it while you can.

If the rumors of Shogun moving to the UFC are true, then yes chuck’s career is done.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Get it while you can.[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
If the rumors of Shogun moving to the UFC are true, then yes chuck’s career is done.[/quote]

How much over 205 does he walk around at usually?

On TV it looks like he’s got a fair gut and some skinny limbs. Is there no chance of him cutting a bit more and getting into 185? He doesn’t look much bigger than a guy like Rich Franklin on screen. In person it might be a totally different story though.

If I’d never heard of him, and was told he had a 0-0 record- after that Rampage fight, I’d never expect to see him again.

[quote]Man O’ War wrote:
Rah-Knee wrote:
If the rumors of Shogun moving to the UFC are true, then yes chuck’s career is done.

On TV it looks like he’s got a fair gut and some skinny limbs. Is there no chance of him cutting a bit more and getting into 185? He doesn’t look much bigger than a guy like Rich Franklin on screen. In person it might be a totally different story though.[/quote]

Chuck would have to cut off some limbs. The longer and older you get at a particular weight the harder it is to go down. You never really see veterans bumping down sucessfully. Chuck is pretty damn big, he’s tall and wide. Just watch him on Entourage next to all the actors and they look like midgets.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Man O’ War wrote:
Rah-Knee wrote:

On TV it looks like he’s got a fair gut and some skinny limbs. Is there no chance of him cutting a bit more and getting into 185? He doesn’t look much bigger than a guy like Rich Franklin on screen. In person it might be a totally different story though.

Chuck would have to cut off some limbs. The longer and older you get at a particular weight the harder it is to go down. You never really see veterans bumping down sucessfully. Chuck is pretty damn big, he’s tall and wide. Just watch him on Entourage next to all the actors and they look like midgets.
[/quote]

Of course the exception to Donut’s statement is Randy Couture.

Except Couture moved up a weight class.

I think Chuck will have a good comeback attempt but it probably won’t be enough. He’s had a good run already though.

[quote]Uprising wrote:

I think Chuck will have a good comeback attempt but it probably won’t be enough. He’s had a good run already though. [/quote]

That brought to mind this quote.

You see, this profession is filled to the brim with unrealistic motherfuckers. Motherfuckers who thought their ass would age like wine. If you mean it turns to vinegar, it does. If you mean it gets better with age, it don’t.

5 points if you can recall where it’s from.

[quote]Uprising wrote:

I think Chuck will have a good comeback attempt but it probably won’t be enough. He’s had a good run already though. [/quote]

he moved down a weight class to fight chuck the first time. After winning some fights and losing to chuck twice, he retired. Then he came out of retirement and fought tim.

I think that’s how it went.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Uprising wrote:

I think Chuck will have a good comeback attempt but it probably won’t be enough. He’s had a good run already though.

You see, this profession is filled to the brim with unrealistic motherfuckers. Motherfuckers who thought their ass would age like wine. If you mean it turns to vinegar, it does. If you mean it gets better with age, it don’t.

[/quote]

[quote]hazzadous wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
Uprising wrote:

[/quote]

you know, bruce willis… chuck lidell… huh… they don’t look that far apart… maybe bruce can play him in the chuck lidell story.

[quote]Uprising wrote:

Nope. Couture originally fought as a heavyweight, then made the drop down to 205 at age 40 (he might’ve been 39 but very close to 40 for the first fight with Liddell), won the LHW title and dominated the division for a good year and a half. He stayed at LHW until his second loss to Liddell.

He’s far from done…

But their is an ‘if’…If he doesnt get his lifestyle sorted (and im primarily talking fight prep, as this was clearly lacking) then he’s over. His conditioning was off - thats why he was so keen to deliver the knock out punch imo - he knew he wasnt going to last 5 rounds.
Ive not seen any concrete evidence that leads me to believe he’s the new tony montana, but if this is the case, thats another thing that needs addressing.

Hakelman gave a good reason for chucks KO, and with that guy as your coach, you can never really be counted out.

All IMO of course.

So he loses one fight and is done? Some of you guys are fucking morons. He can have good fights even if he is not champ.

Pretty early to tell, isn’t it?

It looks like Rampage has his number. However, with Shogun, Hendo and I think little Nog(anybody know his status?), there are plenty of tough fights left to make in the UFC. Rampage could drop the belt to any of those guys, and then Chuck could step in.

Who knows? Chuck is good enough that the answer to this question is largely up to him.

I think he’ll have some good fights left, but he’s not going to get the belt back. I don’t think he has the right mindset to come back off a loss so devestating after a long winning streak. Plus his opposition in the UFC up until now wasn’t the best 205lb fighters in the world.

If the UFC’s 205lb weight class comes together like the rumors say- Rampage, Shogun, Dan Henderson, Wanderlei, etc, he can kiss getting the belt back goodbye.

Actually, I think Wanderlei is a good parallel to Chuck. He had an INSANE winning streak. Suffered a knock-out, and then just didn’t even seem to be there in the Dan Henderson fight.

If Shogun does come to the UFC… well, they might as well just go ahead and tailor that belt to his waist.

A buddy of mine told me he ran into Liddell in Ibiza. Said he was cool as shit. Also said he goes hard when he parties. Really hard.