T Nation

Is L-Phenylalanine Safe?

http://www.healthvitaminsguide.com/aminoacids/phenylalanine.htm

If you click on the link and scroll to the symptoms of high intake the text there is a bit worrisome. Is this accurate?

So don’t take high doses.

As long as you don’t have PKU, you should be fine. Don’t take ridiculous amounts of it.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
As long as you don’t have PKU, you should be fine. Don’t take ridiculous amounts of it.[/quote]

all of that said, if you are a healthy adult your liver has the neccessary enzymes present to either utilize the Phe, convert it to tyrosine, or breakdown the surplus into a harmless metabolite and excrete.

…all of that said, if you are a healthy adult your liver has the neccessary enzymes present to either utilize the Phe, convert it to tyrosine, or breakdown the surplus into a harmless metabolite and excrete.

yeah i know. I’m taking Surge recovery.

EDIT: this was posted before the two posts above me.

[quote]Hip Scar wrote:
PB Andy wrote:
As long as you don’t have PKU, you should be fine. Don’t take ridiculous amounts of it.

My son has PKU, quite an ordeal to manage his diet. He can only consume 300mg ( that’s correct mgs) of Phe per day. He has to get his protein from a pharma blend that cost $80 per can, and he uses 2 cans per week, and it tastes like shit - but its what he is used to so he loves it. That said he has above average IQ, abs, and muscle tone, I attribute that to him absolutley having to meet his protein requirements each day unlike most children that eat junk 90% of the time. If you are a carrier of the PKU gene like myself you could be more prone to the effects of a high Phe diet, but not neccessatily. I have no issues consuming 280 grams of high phe protien per day as a bodybuilder / athelete.

[/quote]

I can only imagine how hard that can be. Can’t even eat anything with aspartame since it is dangerous and has Phe, like Equal or Nutra-sweet.