Is It Weird That I Got Married Young?

So in the last couple years, I have ran into a number of people who are surprised or think its weird that i got married when i did. I got married at 22 years old. It never seemed weird to me…I have wanted to be a family man since I was 15. Family has always been very important to me, i am part of a large extended family and we are close. Once i hit 20 i was mildly looking for a potential marriage mate. There were a few girls i had been interested in and tried to get to know better…not sexually…but they didnt seem right for me. But one day, a friend of mine invited me to this huge camping party at some girls farm and it was that weekend that i knew i wanted to marry the farmers daughter…and i did. We have been married for 5.5 years now, we have an 18 month old son and 2 cats and im only just turning 28. I love being a husband and father…how is any of that weird?

2 Likes

I got married at 21.

It is weird.

1 Like

I don’t think getting married at 22 is a great idea for most people, that being said, if for you it was the right time and with the right person that’s all that really matters.

3 Likes

That changes with the times. In my grandparents generation they were married and having babies early and often, and started working at 12.

I didn’t get married until 35 or something, and I thought that was so-so, maybe a little late.

1 Like

Maybe i should have been alive in your grandparents era cause i started working at 12 too lol

1 Like

And you know what we have had a couple friends asking for advice on relationships and we have told them pretty much the same…getting married young isnt for everyone…or in this day and age maybe most people shouldnt get married young. Its worked very well for us…we have a good marriage but like most couples we have had ups and downs…it happens.

2 Likes

It’s true that, these days, people in western countries marry older than in the past. In the broader scope of history though, it’s actually weird/non-normative for people to marry later in life.

If I could change my past, I’d have married in my early 20s and relied more heavily on my family’s insight into who would be a good match for me.

Bottom line, we each have our path to walk. From an early age, you knew what you want in life, you pursued it when the time was right, and now you’re living a good life. Sounds like winning to me.

1 Like

Did you move onto the farm?

1 Like

It’s not weird but here’s the deal from my point of view. I got married at 18, divorced at 20. Stayed single till I was 30, been married over 30 years now.
You will not be the same person at 30 or 35 that you are at 21. You will change, we all do and if two people change in opposite directions then it’s not going to work. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

About 7% of under 24s are married (a bulk of them.are probably 23/24). Even so, I’d say worth an eyebrow raise but not technically weird.

1 Like

not weird just risky. as @magnumd said people generally develop very strongly in their twenties. hence a higher risk of divorce.

like anything this doesnt matter as long as you are happy

2 Likes

Not weird, sometimes you just meet the right person at the right time. You were lucky enough to do it early. I even caught hell for getting married at 26, but mostly from middle-aged fat dudes that couldn’t believe I was committing to sleeping with the same woman for the rest of my life. I’d call your situation an anomaly, but wouldn’t say it’s weird at all. Quite a few of my friends, including my two best friends that I grew up with got married at the same age as you and are still very happily married.

Also, I assumed older than you are. Didn’t realize we were the same age.

2 Likes

I married at 22, but in a religious culture where that isn’t abnormal. We’ve been married for almost 12 years now and have 3 kids. It’s been good.

2 Likes

I didnt realize that we were the same age either…cool

If you mean moving onto her parents farm no. We lived there for a few months almost a year ago when we were “homeless” but thats a whole other can of worms. I grew up in a small farm town and spent a lot of time working on farms when i was a kid and up until i was 15. Spent a lot of time at my grandparents farm too and halfways lived on thier farm throughout the summers. Grew up pretty much like any other farm kid…ran tractors and quads and old farm trucks as soon as i could reach the pedals, worked fields, castrated sheep and did all kinds of chores and so on. My wife was on the farm from 3 yrs old until she was 18 and then she moved out.

2 Likes

I think that’s great, not weird.

1 Like

On what planet is this weird?

I was 20, out of IDF and into college. We had four daughters when I was 25.

I was a widower at 26. Now that was fucking weird.

That sounds more tragic than weird

I got married at 22 but that was over 45 yrs ago and I was in the military. Still, if I could do it over again I wouldn’t have.

there is nothing strange about it! I am very glad that you are doing well.
it’s strange when you marry a man whom you don’t love at all.