Is It Too Late for Me?

i wasn’t trying to sound like a downer in regard to progress after age 30. My main issue was that this dude, the OP, sounds like a somewhat out-of-shape guy looking for fast results. That combo can lead to bad decisions.

[quote]mat_angus wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
I’m absolutely convinced that the classic “bulk and cut” phases of training are a whole different animal for the over-30 crowd who are usually just realizing that their hummingbird-esque teenage metabolisms are long, long gone.[/quote]
please could you give some advices about this ?
I’m this +30 years old man, actually trying to bulk ;-)[/quote]
You’re in quite a different situation since you already have a base of muscle and pretty low bodyfat, and you’re training hard and often, so I’d say you’re certainly “safe” to bump up the calories considerably.

My main issue, as I mentioned, was concern about an over-aggressive approach to the “standard” bulk and cut cycles. But it might be as simple as just getting the correct mindset and not thinking like a young buck when it comes to diet and training - paying better attention to nutrition, muscle tissue quality/foam rolling/mobility, etc. I’m definitely not talking about slowing down or drastically changing things “just because” we’re 30-ish.

Anyhow, it’s mainly just me thinking out loud. I might look more into theories for “guys in our age bracket” sometime down the road. Like I said, I was seriously shocked seeing the guys at my 10-year high school reunion a few years ago. That’s what first made me think about it, and the idea’s been marinating ever since.

^^Some great posts, Chris :slight_smile:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

You’re in quite a different situation since you already have a base of muscle and pretty low bodyfat, and you’re training hard and often, so I’d say you’re certainly “safe” to bump up the calories considerably.

[/quote]

thank you.
Your post is a great motivation to keep going.

Mathieu

Hey ForeverNewbie
I feel foolish adding a post after Chris has told you everything you need to know but I felt sad that you think it’s too late. I have to ask; Too late for what? If it’s too late at 29 what will you feel like at 31?
You can’t give up with two thirds of your life ahead of you.
I’m 67 and have been lifting many years using self designed programs. I started 5/3/1 six months ago and have made more progress the past few months than ever before. So ,Forever, it’s never too late.
I love the structure of 5/3/1. No hit or miss workouts. There’s progress each week. I know that my workout tomorrow will make me better than I was yesterday. Just stick with it!

It’s never too late; have a look in the over-35s forum - there’s some pretty inspirational older guys on these forums.

I’m 32, fat, working a 60+ hour week and started lifting seriously less than a year ago but I’m still making progress and getting steadily stronger thanks mainly to advice on these forums.

If you truly want something, you’ll find ways and means to acheive it.