Is it Time to go HULK Yet?

Just looking for some input on if I should keep focusing on losing fat (started @ 290lbs down to 258lbs now) or if I can finally start bulking. I’m 24, 6’0 ft, and I eat around 2000 calories (200g of protein, 90g of fat, minimal carbs). I work at a distribution center loading trucks with boxes and I lift six days a week.

I don’t really have an end goal so to speak…nothing number wise. I just want to be big and strong and not be a fat ass…I don’t need to see my abs year round. I have pics in my profile too, Thanks in advance.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:
Just looking for some input on if I should keep focusing on losing fat (started @ 290lbs down to 258lbs now) or if I can finally start bulking. I’m 24, 6’0 ft, and I eat around 2000 calories (200g of protein, 90g of fat, minimal carbs). I work at a distribution center loading trucks with boxes and I lift six days a week.

I don’t really have an end goal so to speak…nothing number wise. I just want to be big and strong and not be a fat ass…I don’t need to see my abs year round. I have pics in my profile too, Thanks in advance.[/quote]

You need to probably drop down much closer to 200lbs before worrying about gaining right now. I am also not degrading the progress you’ve made so far considering a 30lbs loss, but I would guess your body fat to still be around 30% which would categorize you as obese at the moment.

2,000cals isn’t much at all and I am wondering about your activity level. If you are down to 2,000cals already, you really don’t have much further you can drop to continue the fat loss.

How much cardio are you doing right now and how long have you been dropping weight?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

I don’t really have an end goal so to speak…nothing number wise. I just want to be big and strong and not be a fat ass…I don’t need to see my abs year round. I have pics in my profile too, Thanks in advance.[/quote]

You need to probably drop down much closer to 200lbs before worrying about gaining right now. I am also not degrading the progress you’ve made so far considering a 30lbs loss, but I would guess your body fat to still be around 30% which would categorize you as obese at the moment.

2,000cals isn’t much at all and I am wondering about your activity level. If you are down to 2,000cals already, you really don’t have much further you can drop to continue the fat loss.

How much cardio are you doing right now and how long have you been dropping weight?[/quote]

I’ve been dropping the weight since mid March. When I first started I was doing steady state cardio 3 times a week plus my job (which is manual labor for 8-10 hours 5 days a week). I started to notice my lifts getting weaker so I dropped the SS.

You bring up a good point about the calories, I’ve been thinking about bumping them up a bit but worried about stalling the fat loss trying to find that magic number.

Damn, dude. 32lbs in a little over a month? Phenomenal success at weight loss, but I think it’s a little too fast.

You would probably benefit from adding some Cals back in and doing two or three sessions of barbell complexes a week. That’ll get your metabolism revving again without putting any fat back on.

You obviously have the will and determination to reach your goals. Best of luck.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Damn, dude. 32lbs in a little over a month? Phenomenal success at weight loss, but I think it’s a little too fast.

You would probably benefit from adding some Cals back in and doing two or three sessions of barbell complexes a week. That’ll get your metabolism revving again without putting any fat back on.

You obviously have the will and determination to reach your goals. Best of luck.[/quote]

I will ignore the “barbell complexes” because I agree with everything else. It is too fast to lose 30lbs and there was no doubt some muscle lost with a drop that fast. You also can not start out a diet with calorie restriction that low aside from very short periods of time because you are left with nowhere to go when your body stabilizes with the lower calories count and the metabolism slows. Someone that size is not going to be able to maintain a diet LESS THAN 2,000cals for an extended period of time without feeling run down.

This should have been a more gradual process even though with a body fat that high, initial weight loss would come across rapidly and then slow later on.

Solution: Slightly increase calories (by as much as 500 or more) and actually ADD cardio in. Reassess after 1-2 weeks and then go from there.

Either way, at that level of body fat, I would not start all out gaining again until the belly is lost to a much larger degree regardless of the exact body fat percentage.

Instead of editing the last post, let me say I am wrong in the statement that the 30lbs lost was too fast because that depends on how much fat is present. Someone carrying more body fat than average can lose quite a bit of fat initially very quickly without concern for muscle loss so please ignore that statement.

I still do think you need to see if you can manage further weight loss without going quite that low on caloric intake…only because changes have to continually be made later as your metabolism changes during the length of calorie restriction.

Instead of editing the last post, let me say I am wrong in the statement that the 30lbs lost was too fast because that depends on how much fat is present. Someone carrying more body fat than average can lose quite a bit of fat initially very quickly without concern for muscle loss so please ignore that statement.

I still do think you need to see if you can manage further weight loss without going quite that low on caloric intake…only because changes have to continually be made later as your metabolism changes during the length of calorie restriction.[/quote]

I agree that I lost some muscle over the past month but I knew that was going to happen due the nature of job. I basically do complexes all day with boxes that weigh anywhere from a few oz to 50+ lbs.

Starting today I’ll bump my calorie intake to 2500, would 3 sessions of steady state cardio be a good place to start?

I would start at 3000…what if your fat loss stalls at 2500 then…2000, where will you go from there? You always want options open when you stall IMO.

I will ignore the “barbell complexes” because I agree with everything else. It is too fast to lose 30lbs and there was no doubt some muscle lost with a drop that fast.[/quote]

I know they’re not real popular among the big guys, but I suggested them because they worked for me. I lost 15lbs in a month by adding two sessions of complexes and two sessions of sprints when I decided to re-comp last year (with no change in diet).

Loading 50lb boxes all day is no doubt strenuous, but blasting through 144 reps with 100lbs in ten minutes will definitely light up your metabolism ('cept maybe for you, X. You’d need, like, 315 or so?)

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
I would start at 3000…what if your fat loss stalls at 2500 then…2000, where will you go from there? You always want options open when you stall IMO.[/quote]

3000 seems a bit much, that’s where I would start if I were bulking…

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

I will ignore the “barbell complexes” because I agree with everything else. It is too fast to lose 30lbs and there was no doubt some muscle lost with a drop that fast.[/quote]

I know they’re not real popular among the big guys, but I suggested them because they worked for me. I lost 15lbs in a month by adding two sessions of complexes and two sessions of sprints when I decided to re-comp last year (with no change in diet).

Loading 50lb boxes all day is no doubt strenuous, but blasting through 144 reps with 100lbs in ten minutes will definitely light up your metabolism ('cept maybe for you, X. You’d need, like, 315 or so?)[/quote]

I was trying to hold back on using sprints until the fat lost stalled (plus I’m a big guy with not so good knees). How far along were you into your cutting phase when you added the complexes and sprints?

That’s all I did. It was just a re-comp, not a full-blown cut.

Great progress man! Keep it up! Listen to ProfX; I agree with continue cutting.

I would definitely have to agree with continuing to cut. As far as how to go about cutting, Prof X is one of the most knowledgable members on this website. I would listen to him.

Awesome progress by the way and like JayPierce said, you obviously have the determination to get it right.