Is It Safe to Do Upright Rows This Way?

Basically i saw a video recently of Greg Plitt doing an upright row variation wheere you hold one db in front of you and grab it with the thumbs on the uppger plate and the fingers under the plate and then do a regular upright row. This removes the wrist problem but not sure if it removes the impingement risk and ratator cuff injury risk. Can anyone help out with this?

Here is the video,you can see it in different sequence’s the exercise first appears after 15 seconds:- YouTube

doesnt matter. there are better things to do whatever you want upright rows to accomplish.

i mostly use it for traps,i feel them really good with these.I also do barbell shrugs and db shrugs. Does this variation fix the internally rotated maximally problem with regular upright rows? also the tendon space thing which causes impingement?

i dont even know how one can justify doing three things just for traps, let alone answer that question. bodybuling isnt this complicated

I do 'em with a snatch grip on a fat bar and have no wrist issues. Today I used 175 lbs on my top set, still no pain.

My shoulders always grow well with upright rows. But my rotator cuffs hate them.

I cant see how this method will help with that.

I wonder if doing dumbell rows face down on a high incline bench would put the shoulders in a safer position. Whilst still targeting the upper shoulder girdle.

Anyone with more knowledge of biomechanics have an opinion on this?

My shoulders always grow well with upright rows. But my rotator cuffs hate them.

I cant see how this method will help with that.

I wonder if doing dumbell rows face down on a high incline bench would put the shoulders in a safer position. Whilst still targeting the upper shoulder girdle.

Anyone with more knowledge of biomechanics have an opinion on this?

More of a squat rack curls post, but there’s an idiot at my gym that will do only biceps and upright rows, and he does singles with 205 on the bar and his partner basically doing a front squat in front of him to assist him.

the risk doesn’t outweigh the reward for me, both my shoulders and my wrists started giving me grief though

As long as you use a wider than shoulder width grip and only row up to about your nipple area you should be fine.

Does anyone know if this variation takes care of the impingement/rotator cuff issue?

As a vague rule of thumb, I personally avoid this kind of movement when my elbows are required to be higher than my wrists because that means that my shoulders are highly internally rotated (the position you want to avoid). The method in the video is certainly a lot better than traditional upright rows so I’d say that you might be able to get away with it depending on your own shoulder structure.

If you have to do upright rows, why don’t you try these? http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/far-away-upright-row You’ll be limited by the strength of your external rotators, but if you care about healthy shoulders you should have strong external rotators anyway! Good luck and I hope this helps.

As a vague rule of thumb, I personally avoid this kind of movement when my elbows are required to be higher than my wrists because that means that my shoulders are highly internally rotated (the position you want to avoid). The method in the video is certainly a lot better than traditional upright rows so I’d say that you might be able to get away with it depending on your own shoulder structure.

If you have to do upright rows, why don’t you try these? http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/far-away-upright-row You’ll be limited by the strength of your external rotators, but if you care about healthy shoulders you should have strong external rotators anyway! Good luck and I hope this helps.

Thx for the reply, how do you think the variation done in a video but some modiciations to it,like leaning slightly forward and also doing it far away like in thibs video while only lifting to lower chest. Will this be a safe variation or still dangerous?. The reason i don’t try and see is coz in a article here in tnaiton it said that one at first doesn’t notice any problems until the tendon breaks and then you can’t workout and will be very limited in exercise selection after it.

Your basically describing how I’m doing the movement. Like I said I lifted it yesterday for 175 for reps, and I have wide shoulders and no wrist or shoulder pain due to the movement. Why do I feel like I’m repeating myself?

[quote]solidkhalid wrote:
Your basically describing how I’m doing the movement. Like I said I lifted it yesterday for 175 for reps, and I have wide shoulders and no wrist or shoulder pain due to the movement. Why do I feel like I’m repeating myself?[/quote]

How dont people respect this?!

?

[quote]hastalles wrote:
?[/quote]

I forgot to hit the sarcasm button, sorry.
Weak people with poor form shouldn’t be giving advice on movements like these.

Was that our SolidKhalid in that video?

What’s the beef with Hulk Hogan all about???

Due to ignorant, jealous faggots (Daniel Walker) commenting has been disabled on my Hogan shoot tape.

And no, I’m not on GH.