T Nation

Is it Possible to be Ripped with Shitty Diet?

By ripped, I mean like 7% bodyfat.

Please don’t yell at me. I know that this is potentially an extremely stupid question, but my life right now is kinda complicated. Here’s the deal.

I am 90% sure that I will get a job soon, which means I’m 90% sure I will once again be able to afford gym membership and my own bodybuilding-specific foods. But if worst case scenario happens and I don’t get a job, I’ll end up relying on my mom’s shitty groceries. I don’t wanna ask her to change anything (I did that before and she did not like it). I may end up eating lasagna, pizza, bacon, steak, ham, etc. instead of the lean and healthy stuff.

So let’s say worst case scenario happens and I end up eating mac and cheese, can I, by slight manipulation of my diet (I’ll drink lots of milk for protein and eat oatmeal for carbs), be ripped?

My exercise is as follows…

Hang full clean and push press with 40-pound dumbbells = As many reps is I can do in one hour, a million times a week where only one day is the day when I’ll shoot for a personal record.

I’m already afraid of the flamy comments I’m gonna receive. Please take it easy.

you’ll learn a lot

[quote]Bee_Brian wrote:
By ripped, I mean like 7% bodyfat.[/quote]

Possible? Yes, but you still need to pay attention to what you’re eating. The curent trend of “IIFYM” (if it fits your macros) is essentially all about this. It’s been discussed on the forums a bunch of times, recently in this thread:

If you’re trying to drop fat, lasagna and pizza would totally be shitty foods. Steak, ham, and bacon… not shitty foods under most circumstances.

Drinking milk as a primary protein source when you’re fat and trying to get ripped is like jerking off to learn how to be a better lover. Seems like it should work, but it’s really not a good idea. Milk is still full of carbs, which makes it a non-ideal drink for fat loss.

If that happens, you have no one to blame but yourself. Tough love/honest talk. Dude, I just saw your pic. If you choose to eat shitty foods, especially in the shape you’re in right now, you will simply not go any closer to your goal. Period.

Eggs are cheap as hell. Canned tuna is cheap. Sardines are cheap. There have been tons of threads with broke-ass college students looking for nutrition/shopping advice. Find them, read them, and apply the info.

Speaking of apply, if you’re in that bad financial shape, make it 100% sure you get a job soon. You’re too old to be living at home and not contributing to the household. Not sure where you’re located, but if you have to, you can find work. At the very least something seasonal with the holidays coming up.

[quote]My exercise is as follows…

Hang full clean and push press with 40-pound dumbbells = As many reps is I can do in one hour, a million times a week where only one day is the day when I’ll shoot for a personal record.[/quote]
I love the DB clean and press. I do. Um, I kinda wrote an article all about them. But… if that’s the only exercise you’re doing, while you have such limited/low quality food choices available, you’re in for a rough time.

Even if you only have that one pair of dumbbells, there are better training routines you can/should be doing.

Youtube doesn’t work on my laptop. It’s broken in a weird way.

Can you explain please?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Drinking milk as a primary protein source when you’re fat and trying to get ripped is like jerking off to learn how to be a better lover. [/quote]

Totally stealing that.

[quote]Bee_Brian wrote:
Youtube doesn’t work on my laptop. It’s broken in a weird way.

Can you explain please?[/quote]

go to a library and watch it. If you are serious about losing weight and getting ripped, then that video (series) is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Okay. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Unlikely, but possible if you train very intelligently and like a complete maniac…

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/alphas_work_ii?id=3712734&pageNo=0

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Unlikely, but possible if you train very intelligently and like a complete maniac…

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/alphas_work_ii?id=3712734&pageNo=0
[/quote]

Was his diet really that bad? (I never paid attention to his diet, and mostly just read the training advice.)