Is it OK to Train Your Core on Rest Days?

I read Thib’s articles on how to design programs for beginners and picked a split for size:

Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Recovery
Day 3: Biceps/Triceps
Day 4: Quads/Hamstrings
Day 5: Recovery
Day 6: Anterior and lateral delts/Rear delts
Day 7: Recovery

On the recovery days (2 ans 5) I do some gymnastic ring abdominal exercises, followed by some oblique exercises. I was wondering if this would be putting too much strain on my body on the rest days. Any advice would be great.

Its fine.

keep in mind the muscles you are using to work your core.

for instance, doing hanging leg raises or core work on gymnastic rings is very straining on your back and your grip. Given that you may be doing that on the day following your back workout, do some other stuff that allows your back to rest. keep in mind that you’re still recovering from the previous day

If you were busting your a** 6 days a week and only took Sunday off I would say obverse the day of rest.

But, since you want to take 2 of your 3 rest days and turn them into ab-work days I think you should be fine.

[quote]krower wrote:
On the recovery days (2 ans 5) I do some gymnastic ring abdominal exercises, followed by some oblique exercises. I was wondering if this would be putting too much strain on my body on the rest days.[/quote]
A few months ago, you were “about 143lbs I’m 5’8 and have about 5% body fat” and trying to gain size.

Depending on how much weight you’ve gained since then, I have to think that some ab training twice a week isn’t that big a deal.

Also, please, for the love of Yukon Cornelius, tell me that you give squats and deadlifts at least as much mental energy as you give to “oblique exercises.”

Thanks for the info. And Mr. Colucci I do squats and dealifts on leg days and I recognize their significance.

For a beginer training abs on off days,might work, be aware however that as you progrees and become stronger, rest days might become more important

try and get at least one whole day off exercise a week, but as above its not that big a deal either way