Is It OK To Be White? I'm Not Sure

Um… I’ve been an inner city policeman for nearly 10 years. I’ve let a shit ton of black drivers go for any number of offenses including some pretty egregious ones. It’s waaaaaay more about your attitude than your skin color.

2 Likes

I agree with what you are saying here, but before I accuse this person of racism they would have to find out who this person is, what their intentions were, and whether they are linked to any actual white supremacist groups. It appears highly likely that this was done as a sort of challenge to political correctness where “power” and “pride” are acceptable slogans for certain groups but simply being OK with being white and no more than that is seen to deserve condemnation.

1 Like

It’s just flimsy anecdotal evidence.

Typically a person’s attitude towards an authority figure greatly dictates the outcome/response

1 Like

This topic could make another good thread. If you ask me, it a case of “one bad apple spoils the bunch”. There are some fucked up cops out there and it reflects badly on cops as a whole. Rather than making this as a black people vs. cops and the general white population thing, it would be much better if society as a whole were to condemn police brutality and corruption. And I don’t think most cops would be opposed to that either.

No. In general, the foreign women converted.

The Beta Israel (Ethiopia) are controversial. They are Jewish for Aliyah (immigration to Israel under secular law), but are not considered religiously Jewish, unless their mother converted (or they converted).

the confusion there stems from the fact that there is a strict separation of religion-and-state in Israel, so you can be “legally” (secular law) Jewish and religiously something else. (As a practical matter, we have a draft, and it’s standard practice for kids to go through an Orthodox conversion before service, to kill the issue.)

Regarding Soloman, he had a zipper problem that caused a lot of grief. Some of his wives were born Jewish, some converted, and some did not. Caused a fair amount of warfare.

1 Like

What 700 wives and 300 concubines? I don’t care how patriarchal society was then, he must have been the most henpecked man to ever live. Having that many wives puts a lot of doubt in my mind about the “wisdom of Solomon.”

Branching off to worship of various other “gods” of the foreign women (who failed to convert) was pretty stupid, too.

It’s interesting, statistically he would have had 30-40 kids or more, but the Tanakh only list a few: a son and (I think) two daughters, and then probably another son with the Queen of Sheba.

My assumption is those (hypothetically existent) non-Jewish kids “didn’t count” for official reasons and thus went on to obscurity.

But, yeah, Solomon was wise; he knew better. He just chose to follow his genitals and disobey.

Know a few people like that, including myself, at times (although I do not have a zipper problem).

This is exactly what I meant, Jews can marry foreigners as long as they convert. Does it apply to foreign men though? I had a Jewish friend when I was a kid whose mother was Jewish and his father was a white guy who converted. They went to synagogue too.

Isn’t this because they weren’t following the Talmud in Ethiopia since they left before it was written?

What do you mean, if you convert to Orthodox then you are exempt? I have heard that there were Orthodox Jews in Israel who objected to military service but I don’t really follow the politics over there.

Yeah, Solomon sounds like one messed up guy, or at least he became so later.

Yes, male or female can convert. Women don’t have to be circumcised. Ergo, historically, they have been more likely to convert.

In the circumstance the male gentile does not convert, but has a child with a Jewish woman, the child is Jewish.

No. First, maternal-passage of Judaism is contained in both the Tanakh (the whole of the Bible) and the Oral Law (the Talmud). Second, the oral law was in existence since Mt. Sinai; it just was written down until later (and then imperfectly). The concern with Beta Israel has nothing to do with that. The concern is that many of the children’s mothers were not Jewish. Ergo, they might have been eligible for aliyah (immigration), but not Jewish, under religious law.

To clarify further: any person who has one Jewish grandparent (and has not become a member of another religion) is eligible for aliyah (immigration to Israel). This secular rule has to do with Nazi persecution: anyone with one Jewish grandparent was a “mischling” (German for “mixed blood”) and subject to extermination or some sort of civil restriction. Remember, Israel was the original “safe space” for Jewish people – or people persecuted because of some sort of Jewish origin. Israel is a secular, not religious, state.

No, this has nothing to do with dodging the draft. It has to do with the many immigrants to Israel who may or may not be Jewish under Jewish law (be they Russian recently or from Ethiopia). To resolve the religious concern, most immigrants (or, more likely, children of immigrants) formally convert (or reaffirm) to Orthodox Judaism when joining the military, thereby putting any question to bed.

Also, to discuss your other concern, I am orthodox and served in the military. There are some exemptions from military service due to religious restrictions (for example, Muslim Arab Israelis (of which there are many) are not required to serve in the IDF (although many do, in that Israel is the only country in the area that treats them like the decent people they are, despite what idiots on college campuses say).

1 Like

I don’t know a whole lot about Beta Israel, do they not follow the Torah in Ethiopia?

I’ve kind of answered this question about 5 times already.

Here:

1 Like

So is the controversy only about the Falash Mura people and not those of Beta Israel who did not convert to Christianity?

After reading some of the Wikipedia article I see exactly what the issue was with the Falash Mura, many of them might barely have any Jewish blood in them and they were Christian as well so whatever connection they had with Israel was a bit skeptical.

These aren’t mutually exclusive qualities. To determine the motives of individual generals would require historical research into their letters and speeches they gave, and since most generals were also community leaders and politicians those resources are available (many Confederate officers ended up elected to Congress after Reconstruction, facing Union veterans on the other side). After the war, Robert Lee became a university president while another general helped found the KKK.

WTF?

https://twitter.com/highkin/status/1060284411038420992

2 Likes

It’s a joke frat boys came up with. Nice ass you got there bro, “no homo”.

1 Like

Yes, I’m aware of the phrase. The WTF was about the 25k fine…

Not sure why I couldn’t just type that…

1 Like

Because American culture is so soft now the NBA has to protect itself from SJW backlash (which could cause real lost earnings).

The implication of the phrase is that you wouldn’t want anyone to accidentally think you’re gay. So if you were a hypersensitve PITA you could claim that’s a ‘homophobic’ slur.

1 Like

It’s a dumb frat joke, especially with the “length” reference and has nothing to do with gay, I mean LGBTQ (did I miss a letter?) people.

Why does the NBA want to police dumb jokes? First amendment much?