Is It OK To Be White? I'm Not Sure

…other than the offensive graffiti on the same night in the same building which is traditionally targeted at brown people.

I’m gonna bow out because this is going nowhere.

1 Like

that’s a religious freedom, not an ethnic freedom. Right? People in the US also enjoy certain freedoms based on their established religion, regardless of color.

My point has not been that there are not specific laws out there to protect minorities. My point was that, in practice, and I was specifically speaking about airports in the US where there is an ingrained fear of people who look like they are from the middle east, white privilege is a thing that exists.

There will ALWAYS be examples you can point out where you can say ‘see? here’s a thing that isn’t racist.’ or ‘this minority is getting SPECIAL TREATMENT FROM THE GOVERNMENT’. Those things have nothing to do with general racist tendencies of the population at large.

3 Likes

Irving Berlin (a Jew) wrote “White Christmas”, the best selling song ever pre-Elvis.

Also I’d just like to point out the elf murders the bird that can’t fly as the credits roll. Always bothered me as a kid.

1 Like

No, paternal descent has never be accepted as “being Jewish”. It’s expressly in the Mishna. Indeed, non-acceptance of paternal descent is what resulted in the Samaritan peoples after the return from the Babylonian captivity (in that paternal Jewish people were expelled, in a rather nasty dispute).

That said, female conversion to Judaism is well, markedly less scary, especially pre-antibioltics and knowledge of bacteria. So there have been plenty of examples of female converts – Moshe’s wife, Ruth, etc. Heck, even Sarah.

And, as everyone knows, Jewish men have giant penises, so they’ve always come flocking. (Yes, just joking. Making sure you are reading.)

What is paternal in Judaism is your tribe. I am the tribe of Levy, for example.

You can be a tribe-less Jew. Most are, in fact, as the information is generally lost.

She’s a ginger.

Wow. At a quick glance that looked like a completely different statement.

Fair enough

Is it not the books written after the captivity in Babylon such as Nehemiah and Ezra that opposed marriage to foreign women? I’m not aware of anything prior to that stating so. King Solomon was known to have married many foreign women and some of the tribes that left after the kingdom broke down did marry foreign women and are recognized as Jews, such and the descendants of the tribe of Dan who moved to Ethiopia.

Now I am curious how well a Turban would act in the event of a crash.

I mean theoretically, if you had enough material at a relatively high density, it should offer some benefit, right? I’d still rather have a helmet when I ride but hey, if its turban or nothing, I’d go turban.

1 Like

Moses got this command on Mt Sinai in Exodus.

I don’t think turbans are thick enough to offer real protection. Maybe it would prevent a scratch when you otherwise might have been scratched.

laid down my bike once, no way I am testing that…

Of course it will go nowhere. You fellows are so sheltered that you can’t tell the difference between a troll job and a real call-to-action by actual racists. Someone serious about this would have simply put everything on the flyers.

What is the big, earth shattering deal about someone, obviously a separate party, writing “fuck Islam”? Obviously he’s an asshole but do you get similarly outraged when people disparage Christianity? There are a multitude of ridiculous laws in the Koran which are equally bad or worse than those in the Bible but they are still being applied TODAY under Sharia Law. One of which is:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/un-rights-expert-urges-malaysia-to-end-child-marriage-10777486

And what do you mean by “brown people”? You think Javanese, Malays and the various Asian and Middle Eastern ethnicities are all interchangeable culturally just because they share the same religion and skin color? Indonesia has the largest number of muslims in the world. You go and call one of them a Pakistani and see what he says to you.

2 Likes

Can you provide a quote? Seems odd that this would have been commanded to Moses since he went on to marry a Kushite woman.

I take EX 34:15-16 to warn against it.
Deuteronomy 7:3 is a companion passage, which is specific.

A racist troll is still racist. An offensive troll is still offensive. Hopefully you aren’t excusing that “trolls” actions.

I don’t think he is racist at all. I also don’t see how what was on the flyer can be offensive to someone who has not been specifically taught that these are things he should be offended at.

3 Likes

I can see how Exodus 34:15-16 could be interpreted that way and Deuteronomy 7:3 says the same thing, but when you put it into context it gives a different explanation. Just look at the first two verses of Deuteronomy 7:

When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations—the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites, seven nations larger and stronger than you— 2 and when the Lord your God has delivered them over to you and you have defeated them, then you must destroy them totally.

This explains why Moses was married to a Kushite. Also, what about converts to Judaism? Are they not permitted to marry Israelites? It seems to me that the prohibition is more against marrying specific nations as well as pagans and atheists.

#Metoo

White male, inner city policeman… Clearly the root of all evil and why so may others fail

1 Like

So sayeth the lord Sun Tzu