Is It OK To Be White? I'm Not Sure

Yeah, mid to late 90’s.

There were only a couple of Chinese kids at my school and they were nerds, I didn’t really talk to them and they just kept to themselves. Or maybe they wanted to stay away from me, I was a pretty bad kid back then. That school was close to the so-called Chinatown here in Ottawa, which does have a few Chinese businesses but it’s at least 80% Vietnamese and most of the Asian people in the surrounding area are Vietnamese too.

And as far as poverty, that neighborhood is pretty run down and is a high crime area, there is also a housing project there that was mostly Vietnamese and Cambodians, at least at that time, they were living the typical project life. So yeah, that probably had something to do with it.

1 Like

Hilarious.

Oh that’s just not true. You remembered the mom joke.

Not at all. Its hard to scroll through any topic without seeing your drivel. You interject yourself anywhere you think you can elicit a reaction. Its annoying.

You sound upset, so ill leave with this. You are a terrible troll, instantly crying foul when anyone calls you on your bullshit.

3 Likes

He’s the most annoying person I have ever seen on this forum, by far.

3 Likes

Come on, like or hate the guy, you really can’t deny that the post with the “Hitler” reference was obvious sarcasm.

1 Like

Get a room you two.

@anon10035199 @zecarlo

1 Like

And here comes another nut flea.

That makes you feel special, I see.

And how exactly do you describe what you’ve been doing?

Yet you’re the one who is engaging me.

If I were a troll, the fact you can’t help but respond to me shows that I am not terrible. With that said, you should remind yourself that this current plea for my attention started not when you called me on any bullshit but when you failed to notice what everyone else saw as obvious sarcasm.

With a screen name like alphagunner, and the obvious adolescent rage, I assume he is underage [that’s not sarcasm]. Shame on you for encouraging something like that [that’s sarcasm].

Referring to yourself I imagine?

1 Like

What does all this have to do with the oppressed/oppresor white man and asians beating their kids? Focus!

Haha

I’m a white man being oppressed by Canadians and alphagunners. They’re like literally Hitler.

2 Likes

Was that sarcasm?

I’m going to shoehorn this in here.

2 Likes

Any chance you have a link to the actual study? It seems like a dumpster fire of a research topic but I’d be interested to look at the underlying information.

edit: nvm I found it

Some liberal politicians speak down to minorities in campaign speeches…?

They need a PHd to figure that out? I don’t feel so bad about forging my PHd credentials anymore.

2 Likes

Actually they exclusively looked at speeches from Bill Clinton (first run only), Al Gore, & John Kerry on the liberal side.

Edit: Do POTUS candidates write their own speeches?

You’d think they’d amount to more wouldn’t you… Just givin PHDs away

1 Like

See this video of two politicians in two different countries giving the exact same speech:

I was sure I heard something about Trump using the same speech as someone else in the last year or two but I can’t find it now. In any case, they are just a bunch of puppets.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s kinda what I was thinking. Just a garbage study all around. Even the title is so clickbaity. Yale sure has gone downhill (thank God, burn ivy league down).

White liberals talk down to blacks, we studied it.
By white liberals we mean only the men.
Oh and only those that ran for POTUS.
Oh and only those that won their parties nomination.
Oh and only when they weren’t running for reelection.
Oh and only when they’re giving a speech that was probably wrote by someone else with the intent to tailer to the audience.

Wonder how many iterations it took for the data to finally almost match that headline.

You’re only looking at their preliminary evidence. They went on to run experiments on others. Others outside of your objections.

With this preliminary evidence in hand, the researchers set out to further test their ideas.

“My hope is that this work will help include well-intentioned people who see themselves as allies but who may be unwittingly contributing to group divides.”

They designed a series of experiments in which white participants were asked to respond to a hypothetical or presumed-real interaction partner. For half of these participants, their partner was given a stereotypically white name (such as “Emily”); for the other half, their partner was given a stereotypically black name (such as “Lakisha”). Participants were asked to select from a list of words for an email to their partner. For some studies, this email was for a work-related task; for others, this email was simply to introduce themselves. Each word had been previously scored on how warm or competent it appears. The word “sad,” for example, scored low for both warmth and competence. “Melancholy,” on the other hand, scored high for competence and low on warmth.

Participant also completed a variety of measures that assessed how liberal they were.

The researchers found that liberal individuals were less likely to use words that would make them appear highly competent when the person they were addressing was presumed to be black rather than white. No significant differences were seen in the word selection of conservatives based on the presumed race of their partner. “It was kind of an unpleasant surprise to see this subtle but persistent effect,” Dupree says. “Even if it’s ultimately well-intentioned, it could be seen as patronizing.”

1 Like

The real question is, where did they find conservatives near Yale?

3 Likes