T Nation

Is it Necessary to Switch the 5x10 Lifts ...

Alright lads. Ive been lifting for about 4-5 months now, 3 months were starting strength with the same lifts as 5/3/1 BBB and im into my 2nd cycle of BBB. Ive read thats you should change up your lifts every few months to stop your body getting used to certain exercises.

Now ive been working with the same lifts since i started working out 4-5 months ago. Im really enjoying my lifts as jim has them laid out in his book 5/3/1 BBB, so is it necessary to change up the 5x10 assstance lifts every few cycles so that i dont stop making progress/gains. Or is all that stuff about swaping you lifts around bullshit?

If it is recomended to swap the assistance lifts at this point do you guys have any recomendations for lifts i can sub that dont stray to far away from the main lifts?

cheers lads.

I wouldn’t change the assistance lifts to help with the “gains” if they have stopped. I would reset my training max on the main lifts ie 5 forward 3 back. Although recently I have changed my assistant lifts for fun and to make things not so boring.

These are the lifts that I have used and I think are generally recommended…

Squat 5/3/1
RDL 5x10

Bench
Incline Bench 5x10

Deadlift
Front Squat 5x10

Press 5/3/1
Close Grip Bench 5x10

Just follow the programs. There are a few templates to follow. Pick one, and enjoy for 3-4 cycles.

And where in the book does it say [quote]you should change up your lifts every few months to stop your body getting used to certain exercises.[/quote] ? Just curious.

Thanks for the Reply lads. Another question for you experienced lads. Can i consistently keep the conventional Deadlift and Squat as my 5x10 accessory without changing them out every few cycles and still see results in strength gains and muscle gain? or eventually will my body grow accustomed to them and stop giving me results? right now im planning on doing 2 cycles with 5x10 accessories and then 2 cycles with 5x5 accessories. Will this be enough to keep my body stimulated and keep progressing/growing?
thanks lads.

[quote]Walker-UK wrote:
Thanks for the Reply lads. Another question for you experienced lads. Can i consistently keep the conventional Deadlift and Squat as my 5x10 accessory without changing them out every few cycles and still see results in strength gains and muscle gain? or eventually will my body grow accustomed to them and stop giving me results? right now im planning on doing 2 cycles with 5x10 accessories and then 2 cycles with 5x5 accessories. Will this be enough to keep my body stimulated and keep progressing/growing?
thanks lads.[/quote]

I think this is pretty individual man. If you like doing them, keep doing them if they’re producing results. When and if they stop working or if you decide to switch focus find a new template.