T Nation

Is It All About the Size?

Hello.

I have recently started to get more aggressive about my training. I visited a nutritionist and she gave me a special plan to build some size. I’m trying to eat about 3400 calories daily (I really started the plan a week ago).

I have worked my chest twice a week for about a month and half and watched my diet more carefully.

The matter is, even when I have tried to eat more, and I have trained my chest more (with at least 72 hours of rest between chest routines), I lost 1.18 inches (3 cm) on my chest (and I’m supposed to have the same fat %).
My question is: it’s all about the size, the measures? Should I consider something else?

is this a real question?

are you getting stronger? Is chest size your only measure of progress?

maybe you should get chest implants if that is the case.

what no curls?

“Is It All About Size?”

Well, that depends on what you are measuring.

Ok, I guess I should use my naiveOmeter before I post a question next time, but isn’t size what you are looking for when you are doing an hypertrophy program?

[quote]CoffeeGuy wrote:
Ok, I guess I should use my naiveOmeter before I post a question next time, but isn’t size what you are looking for when you are doing an hypertrophy program?[/quote]

If your going backward when trying to GROW then yhea something is wrong ,usually not enough food for the work

Phill

[quote]CoffeeGuy wrote:
Hello.

I have recently started to get more aggressive about my training. I visited a nutritionist and she gave me a special plan to build some size. I’m trying to eat about 3400 calories daily (I really started the plan a week ago).

I have worked my chest twice a week for about a month and half and watched my diet more carefully.

The matter is, even when I have tried to eat more, and I have trained my chest more (with at least 72 hours of rest between chest routines), I lost 1.18 inches (3 cm) on my chest (and I’m supposed to have the same fat %).
My question is: it’s all about the size, the measures? Should I consider something else?
[/quote]

Why would you eat more, only to increase your caloric expenditure? You need to be in a state of caloric surplus, if not, you won’t gain weight (or at least it’ll be painfully slow). Try eating more and working out the same, or less. You should also expect to gain some body fat, it won’t stay the same if you’re eating enough, it’ll increase.

Also, how much do you weigh? What is your body fat %? 3400 calories per day sounds a little low.

Theres is some missing information.

Was your chest primarily fat before hand?
Have you gained overall strength?
What does your workout consist of?

You could lose chest size because of a loss of fat or it could be from overtraining or many other situations. You dont give enough information to really tell

[quote]mattnxtc wrote:
Theres is some missing information.

Was your chest primarily fat before hand?
Have you gained overall strength?
What does your workout consist of?

You could lose chest size because of a loss of fat or it could be from overtraining or many other situations. You dont give enough information to really tell[/quote]

Not to mention that a “chest measurement” is measuring your chest and BACK. I didn’t see him note any back work at all. He sounds like he is only training the body parts he can immediately see in the mirror.

I don’t know about my chest fat%, but my fat was supposed to be over all the same.

Well, I didn’t want to bore you with the details, but I really need some advice:

Height: 5.8 feet

Weight: 174.5 lb

Fat: 16%

I lift weights 4 times a week for about an
hour - hour an a half.
I do karate 1-2 times per week for an hour and a half.

As I told you my nutritionist gave me a diet of about 3400 daily calories.

Here is my routine for the last 6 weeks:

day 1:

2 super sets(without rest) of:
dumbbell incline bench press x 15
push ups (with feet on a bench) x 12

2 super sets(without rest) of:
dumbbell decline bench press x 15
flat bench flies x 12

3 super sets (without rest) of:
barbell flat bench press x10
peck deck x10

3 sets of assisted pull up x12

3 sets of T bar row x15

3 sets of deadlift x3

abs

day 2

3 sets of squats (barbell on my back) x12
2 sets of squats (barbell on my chest) x10

2 sets of lounges x10

3 sets leg extension x12

3 sets leg curl x12

3 calf excercises

abs

day 3

(I do this presses holding the bar like in a hammer curl)

3 sets of one hand flat dumbbell bench pressx10

3 super sets of
incline dumbbell bench press.x10
dips x10
10 sets militar press x 10
abs

day 4

hammer curl 4x 10
french curl 4x10
barbell curl 4x10
Tricep Row Pushdown 4x10
abs

So whats the deal with the high reps? Well, I don’t know. The guy at gym gave that to me.
Some people say that low repetitions are better for hypertrophy, and other people say that you should go for high reps and that low reps just work strength. I don’t know what to believe and there is a study out there to probe almost any theory.

How lost I am?. Thanks for any advice.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
mattnxtc wrote:
Theres is some missing information.

Was your chest primarily fat before hand?
Have you gained overall strength?
What does your workout consist of?

You could lose chest size because of a loss of fat or it could be from overtraining or many other situations. You dont give enough information to really tell

Not to mention that a “chest measurement” is measuring your chest and BACK. I didn’t see him note any back work at all. He sounds like he is only training the body parts he can immediately see in the mirror.[/quote]

He is obviously measuring his cup size…

[quote]CoffeeGuy wrote:
I don’t know about my chest fat%, but my fat was supposed to be over all the same.

Well, I didn’t want to bore you with the details, but I really need some advice:

Height: 5.8 feet

Weight: 174.5 lb

Fat: 16%

I lift weights 4 times a week for about an
hour - hour an a half.
I do karate 1-2 times per week for an hour and a half.

As I told you my nutritionist gave me a diet of about 3400 daily calories.

Here is my routine for the last 6 weeks:

day 1:

2 super sets(without rest) of:
dumbbell incline bench press x 15
push ups (with feet on a bench) x 12

2 super sets(without rest) of:
dumbbell decline bench press x 15
flat bench flies x 12

3 super sets (without rest) of:
barbell flat bench press x10
peck deck x10

3 sets of assisted pull up x12

3 sets of T bar row x15

3 sets of deadlift x3

abs

day 2

3 sets of squats (barbell on my back) x12
2 sets of squats (barbell on my chest) x10

2 sets of lounges x10

3 sets leg extension x12

3 sets leg curl x12

3 calf excercises

abs

day 3

(I do this presses holding the bar like in a hammer curl)

3 sets of one hand flat dumbbell bench pressx10

3 super sets of
incline dumbbell bench press.x10
dips x10
10 sets militar press x 10
abs

day 4

hammer curl 4x 10
french curl 4x10
barbell curl 4x10
Tricep Row Pushdown 4x10
abs

So whats the deal with the high reps? Well, I don’t know. The guy at gym gave that to me.
Some people say that low repetitions are better for hypertrophy, and other people say that you should go for high reps and that low reps just work strength. I don’t know what to believe and there is a study out there to probe almost any theory.

How lost I am?. Thanks for any advice.

[/quote]

Hmmm…well, unless you are completely sedentary during the rest of your day, I’d say that 3400 calories is too low to be building muscle. Nutritionists don’t usually know how to write effective diets for athletes (at least in my experience).

My suggestion would be to check out Berardi’s “Massive eating part 1” article (there is also a caloric calculator somewhere on this site, but my search function doesn’t work and I can’t seem to find where I put the link).

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_146mass

As far as reps go, I honestly wouldn’t go any higher than 12 per set. Some people respond better to lower reps, others to higher reps, but very few respond well to reps higher than 12, it’s just too low of a percentage of 1 RM to recruit the high force motor units.

Good training,

Sentoguy