Is High Volume Training Not For Me?

Every long term plan must be comprised of multiple short term plans. I solid strength foundation is the most important, IMO.

How many reps can you?:

• Squat with 2 times your body weight
  • Bench Press with 1.5 times your body weight
  • Deadlift with 2 times your body weight

You are young and not overweight. How many strict pullups can you do?

2 Likes

Agreed 100% i can loose weight and gain weight very quickly. Recently I had big problem with my asthma and i lost 22 pounds in 2 months. I’m an Ecto-meso.

As you’ve said that you wish you knew some things earlier that you know now.
Look at me like a little brother and tell me some things that you’ve learned i can focus on to get big!
I’d appreciate it.

When I was at 88kgs,
I can bench around 135kg PR
Squat 160kg PR
Deadlift 240kg

I know my squat is a Lil weak because I have long legs and i do hack squats more often.

I literally just told you what to do. Squat, bench, deadlift. Eat a lot. Simple as that.

3 Likes

Stop analyzing, start practicing.

^The same thing that has been said in 6 other threads. :facepalm:

1 Like

And before asking if HIT is right for you - Search the Darden forum for basic HIT routines and/or simple advice. Maybe try a routine at least once - and then return here with any questions.

If you like strict/controlled/slower reps, prolonged sets up to 90 secs, supersets, short rest periods and few sets per musclegroup - You may like HIT! But, few HIT people train more often than 3 times a week.

As many may already have said, I recommend you choose a direction/program to follow for at least a month to evaluate. In my opinion, results from training rely upon sticking to a routine over time - to be able to measure your progress.

I do those stuff but let me tell you, i got long arms which need direct work 2× week to have some growth. So i do 2 arm sessions in a week and then I maintain my 17 inch arms

Strong means you can get 10 reps with these.
Decent strength gets 5 reps.
Getting only a single rep is considered not gym strong at all. But definitely strong for an average person. I doubt that is your goal.

You can barely get a single with 1.5 times your body weight. That must go up significantly

What do you want me to say? That is extremely unacceptable. Learn to squat and quit using long legs as an excuse for substandard performance. I have long legs. Figure it out!

This is good solid strength. Using percentages you are capable of 192kg for 10 reps, which is nearly 2.2 times your body weight.

Good luck. Get stronger.

1 Like

I give up. I am bowing out. Good luck.

If you’re 22 why are you describing yourself as a kid?

Well first I would analyze my current diet. If its not consistent that will be a hard task but you have to start somewhere. Figure out your TDEE and then add 500 calories plus a macro ratio that you want to try. The macro ratio may take some dialing in as what works for someone else may not work for you. You have time on your side to figure it out. If you start gaining too quickly, lower the calories. Shoot for 1-1.5lbs per week. IMO when you’re young and undersized I like a 5x5 program that focuses heavily on the big 3. If you still got gas in the tank do some supplementals too. The exercises don’t need to be complicated, focus on getting stronger because with strength comes muscle size.

1 Like

All i am seeing is one excuse after another, good luck in figuring it out

1 Like

For bench? I hit 300lb x 4 (PR) flat bench about 2 weeks ago, but this is significantly below your strength metric because I weigh 220lbs…?

I’m gonna have to ask for either an explanation or agree to disagree here.

1 Like

It’s only 30lbs and 6 reps you/we got this.

3 Likes

The only explanation I have is that was the rule of thumb for strength that we had.

Look at it this way. The powerlifting total for the lifts add to 5.5 times your body weight. A 200lb man should be able to get ten reps on the three lifts of 1,100lbs. Using percentages, where a man should be able to do 80% of their 1 rep max for 10 reps. Or for a 1,100lb total for ten reps = 1,375lbs (1,100lbs/0.80).

This is not a phenomenal total for a 200lb man.

(I mention using 5.5 times your body weight because some lifters are better at one or two lifts than the other one or two, but the best lifter has the highest total and not the highest bench press)

2 Likes

Not a whole lot of lifters can do 10 reps with 80% of a 1RM. 10 rep sets are more in the range of the low 70s from a percentage perspective for most lifters. Someone who can do 10 reps with 80% sucks at expressing strength via singles.

2 Likes

We used 2% per rep for most lifters.
For powerlifters that train CNS, 2.5% per rep. So the 80% works for 8 reps, instead of 10reps.

The OP has in no way trained CNS.

Also, this total (raw and tested) would be top ~17% in the world for 2021 among powerlifters who stepped on the platform and competed. Not a phenomenal total for a powerlifter but for someone who doesn’t train for powerlifting to put up such numbers would be impressive.

1 Like

Well, on that we can certainly agree.

Good summary. Bold should read 1,100lb.

@RT_Nomad Haha, I see you fixed it before my post went through. Post approval probation for me…I guess I just have to laugh.

#shadowban sorta. Multiple deleted posts and post approval before any post goes through. No thanks.

1 Like