Is Fox News a Shill ?

given the recent pissing match over the alleged bias / misinformation/ inaccurate reporting by Fox News,

( http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1270724 )

and more importantly the resulting proven state of misinformed-ness FOX viewers wallow in,
i find these:

rather timely :wink:

[quote]swivel wrote:
given the recent pissing match over the alleged bias / misinformation/ inaccurate reporting by Fox News,

and more importantly the resulting proven state of misinformed-ness FOX viewers wallow in,
i find these:

[/quote]

You are referencing dailykos.com to show Fox is biased?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
swivel wrote:

i find these:

You are referencing dailykos.com to show Fox is biased?[/quote]

i’m referencing a picture from the fox broadcast which labels foley with the incorrect political party.

as i said i thought it pertained to the previous discussion which seemed to suffer from lack of specific examples.

the source is beside the point . unless you think it’s fabricated ?

CBC - The Fifth Estate is a Canadian investigative journalism show. They did a special called “Sticks and Stones” that examines the bias of the American media with an emphasis on Fox. You can watch the entire documentary online here:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/sticksandstones.html

O’Reily and Ann Coulter get exposed. I think it originally aired a in 2003 or 2004. Before the Republicans respond, I am aware that the CBC also has a bias / agenda.

I can’t honestly believe that the journalists at Fox News are that ignorant. They act like narrow minded shitiots because it gets ratings. Maybe they’re smarter than they appear.

[quote]swivel wrote:

i find these:

[/quote]

Personally, I hate Fox News. It epitomizes the anti-utopian nightmare ‘1984.’ But then again, who gives a shit? You? Anyone? Nope. Cest la vie.

[quote]tpa wrote:

I can’t honestly believe that the journalists at Fox News are that ignorant. They act like narrow minded shitiots because it gets ratings. Maybe they’re smarter than they appear.[/quote]

yeah, i don’t know what i think. i mean bias is one thing. shoddy reporting is another. and deliberate misinformation yet another. whatever happened here, to me , goes beyond mere bias. especially since no retraction / correction / apology or other has been attempted.

interesting documentary you posted . i’ll check it out this weekend.

Yes, it seems that way.

Fox News a shill? So you’re just now figuring this out? Well you’re doing better than most Americans!

Actually shill is too nice a term and its definition is probably lost on many. It implies much more strategy and finesse than I’m wiilling to give Fox. I think the word tool is more accurate and to the point.

I love the way they “accidentally” listed Mark Foley was a Democrat the other day on their broadcast. Classy move, assholes.

[quote]tpa wrote:
CBC - The Fifth Estate is a Canadian investigative journalism show. They did a special called “Sticks and Stones” that examines the bias of the American media with an emphasis on Fox. You can watch the entire documentary online here:

O’Reily and Ann Coulter get exposed. I think it originally aired a in 2003 or 2004. Before the Republicans respond, I am aware that the CBC also has a bias / agenda.

I can’t honestly believe that the journalists at Fox News are that ignorant. They act like narrow minded shitiots because it gets ratings. Maybe they’re smarter than they appear.[/quote]

Ann Coulter and O’Reilly have a right wing bias? A cable channel is trying to get good ratings? You really blew my mind there, you gotta be careful when you drop science like that.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
tpa wrote:

I can’t honestly believe that the journalists at Fox News are that ignorant. They act like narrow minded shitiots because it gets ratings. Maybe they’re smarter than they appear.

Ann Coulter and O’Reilly have a right wing bias? A cable channel is trying to get good ratings? You really blew my mind there, you gotta be careful when you drop science like that.[/quote]

His post gains more sense when you take into account the several cheerleaders in the political forum who claim that Fox isn’t biased and that no one can ever find any proof of their bias.

I remember an interview with Coulter, conducted by CBC’s Evan Solomon about a year back. Solomon’s an utter softie. He couldn’t get to the hard heart of a story if you gave him a roadmap, so of course he went really, really easy on Coulter and let her get away with all kinds of blatant inaccuracies. He only called her on it a couple times, and it was all soft-shoe when he did it. She was basically given leeway to run the interview as she wanted.

And yet she managed to come across as an utter raving loon. When he asked her a question about the policies coming from the White House, and her stance on one of Bush’s decisions in particular, she went off on a tirade where she slipped into referring to Bush as “we” – as if she were part of some bizarre group mind. It was surreal. I thought it was just a slip of the tongue, but then she did it over and over again. “We think”, “we feel”, “we don’t like”

The woman’s certifiable.

This is a funny clip how Fox edited a piece from Colbert to fit their needs.

Of course Coulter, O’Reilly, Hannity and Colmes (sp?) are biased. They tell you they are biased. Telling someone you are a conservative or a liberal up front and then always arguing from that point of view is not the bias folks are referring to when they complain about people being biased.

The bias folks complain about occurs when someone claims to be unbiased and over time, one can accumulate evidence to show that the angles taken on the stories reported show favorably or unfavorably towards a particular point of view in a disproportionate manner.

My main point is really regarding this: Don’t confuse entertainers with journalists. Entertainers like Coulter, O’Reilly, Hannity, Colmes and Franken are not jouralists. They don’t have to be unbiased.

[quote]NoWheels wrote:
Of course Coulter, O’Reilly, Hannity and Colmes (sp?) are biased. They tell you they are biased. Telling someone you are a conservative or a liberal up front and then always arguing from that point of view is not the bias folks are referring to when they complain about people being biased.

The bias folks complain about occurs when someone claims to be unbiased and over time, one can accumulate evidence to show that the angles taken on the stories reported show favorably or unfavorably towards a particular point of view in a disproportionate manner.

My main point is really regarding this: Don’t confuse entertainers with journalists. Entertainers like Coulter, O’Reilly, Hannity, Colmes and Franken are not jouralists. They don’t have to be unbiased. [/quote]

Add Lou Dobbs to that list.

Fox news refers to people who blow themselves up in crowded markets and bus stops as “homocide bombers”. The maninstream media calls them “suicide bombers”. Which term is more accurate?

Is the intent of the bomber to kill others or to simply kill himself? When you answer that question, which is more accurate.

Fox is also Pro-American. That infuriates many abroad and large section of the population at home. They go after foriegn officials with zeal during interviews. That is percieved as a conservative bias. Why that is the case is a broader question to answer.

If you actually watch Fox, you’ll notice they usually represent speakers from both sides of an argument, together, and let them go at it. The reporter will usally start it off with some directed questions. The MSM normally doesn’t do that. If you are a government official or politician your not used to being confronted like that. I find it refreshing.

Amazingly, a lot of people think the mainstream media isn’t biased, yet over 80% of mainstream media reporters consider themself Democrats. One only needs to look at students at some of the elite journalism schools to realize it is hardly a fair and balanced student body as far as political idealogy goes.

The public clealry has voted. Fox ratings dwarf the other cable news stations. The opinion shows are a different animal then the news division.

[quote]NoWheels wrote:

My main point is really regarding this: Don’t confuse entertainers with journalists. Entertainers like Coulter, O’Reilly, Hannity, Colmes and Franken are not jouralists. They don’t have to be unbiased. [/quote]

Great point. Those guys aren’t journalists, they are TV hosts and entertainers who specialize in political discussion. No better or worst than the liberal shills. Some of you guys make it seem like having an opinion that is not in line with democratic/liberal propaganda is wrong.

Fox news is what rupert murdoch intended it to be. A media outlet for the republican party. It espouses a conservative agenda with no regard for truth or facts.

Actually Fox nes is a mis-spelling.

its FAUX News.

[quote]emdawgz1 wrote:
Fox news is what rupert murdoch intended it to be. A media outlet for the republican party. It espouses a conservative agenda with no regard for truth or facts.

Actually Fox nes is a mis-spelling.

its FAUX News. [/quote]

SHow somw proof that Fox has no regard for truth or facts.

Were you this indignant over Dan Rather’s use of a fabricated document that was planted by the left and gleefully gobbled up by Rather for use on 60 minutes?

Somehow I doubt that you can be intellectually honest enough to admit that ALL news outlets shade their reporting with bias of from one side or another.

They stopped teaching onjectivity in journalism school right after Watergate.

fox news is biased just like cnn to just harp on fox new and not on cnn is foolish

[quote]Mad Titan wrote:
fox news is biased just like cnn to just harp on fox new and not on cnn is foolish [/quote]

Yep.

However, I do feel Fox is closer to reality.