Is Floyd Mayweather Jr Moving to MMA?

Came across this somewhere else. Anyone here know anything?

"Apparently it was seen on Setanta Sports. Today, shockingly, Floyd Mayweather Jr announced his retirement from boxing, turning down a 20 million pay day vs DLH (De La Hoya) in the process.

Dana White, today in England, mentioned to a reporter that mma is ‘due to have an all star caliber boxer make the jump to mma to help legitimize the sport’.

He is a little fellah so he would be fighting people like Faber, Sherk etc etc but god damn that would be crazy. Apparently he has been training BJJ for almost a year.

Just a rumor, but Dana already said there is a HUGE announcement at tomorrows UFC. I thought he was going to announce a TV deal but this…crazy".

Pretty Boy’s all about the cash… and ain’t no way UFC is going to be able to put up the kind of dough he’s gonna want.

What a waste of talent if he went to the UFC… it would be like Joe Louis wrestling…

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Pretty Boy’s all about the cash… and ain’t no way UFC is going to be able to put up the kind of dough he’s gonna want.

What a waste of talent if he went to the UFC… it would be like Joe Louis wrestling…[/quote]

Yah…I don’t know the validity of all this. That’s why I wanted to see if any of you had heard anything yet. It will be a definite paycut.

I’d love to see him give it a go though. I want to see if he would make it out of round 1. They could feed him some strikers first and see how well it goes. You know, protect him like Kimbo. Hell give em’ Kimbo. I don’t care either way. His boxing matches bore the shit out of me. At least in MMA there would be some entertainment along the way.

[quote]solarflame wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

What a waste of talent if he went to the UFC… it would be like Joe Louis wrestling…

Yah…I don’t know the validity of all this. That’s why I wanted to see if any of you had heard anything yet. It will be a definite paycut.

I’d love to see him give it a go though. I want to see if he would make it out of round 1. They could feed him some strikers first and see how well it goes. You know, protect him like Kimbo.

Hell give em’ Kimbo. I don’t care either way. His boxing matches bore the shit out of me. At least in MMA there would be some entertainment along the way.

[/quote]

He’s entertaining if you’re a true boxing fan. The man is technically perfect… I’ve never seen anyone like him.

That’s why it’s such a waste of talent for him to do this shit…

No way the UFC could ever afford to pay him 20 million for one fight. Even if they could they arn’t stupid they know he wouldn’t bring 20 million in revenue towards PPV buys. Shit Tito’s records are the highest and he doesn’t bring in even close to 20 million PPV buys.

I’d heard about Dana’s big announcement, too. This certainly would be big. I’d also heard rumblings about a possible Anderson Silva-Chuck Liddell fight at 205 in September, but I don’t think that would constitute as the big announcement White is preparing.

Mayweather, though, might just be trying to angle for more money in the De La Hoya rematch. Who knows with him, though?

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
I’d heard about Dana’s big announcement, too. This certainly would be big. I’d also heard rumblings about a possible Anderson Silva-Chuck Liddell fight at 205 in September, but I don’t think that would constitute as the big announcement White is preparing.

Mayweather, though, might just be trying to angle for more money in the De La Hoya rematch. Who knows with him, though?[/quote]

Chuck and Silva? I’d love to see it. Silva’s gotta go up or down for some new competion. He ain’t getting it staying where he is. I’d like to see GSP go up and fight em’. He could take Anderson down. Standing Anderson would put Georges away me thinks. But on the ground I think GSP would have a chance. What say you?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
solarflame wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

I’d love to see him give it a go though. I want to see if he would make it out of round 1. They could feed him some strikers first and see how well it goes. You know, protect him like Kimbo. Hell give em’ Kimbo. I don’t care either way. His boxing matches bore the shit out of me. At least in MMA there would be some entertainment along the way.

He’s entertaining if you’re a true boxing fan. The man is technically perfect… I’ve never seen anyone like him.

That’s why it’s such a waste of talent for him to do this shit…
[/quote]

Exactly.

Every fight of his i sit open mouthed half the time because of his technical proficiency. Its crazy to watch if you really know what you’re seeing.

[quote]solarflame wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:

Mayweather, though, might just be trying to angle for more money in the De La Hoya rematch. Who knows with him, though?

Chuck and Silva? I’d love to see it. Silva’s gotta go up or down for some new competion. He ain’t getting it staying where he is. I’d like to see GSP go up and fight em’. He could take Anderson down. Standing Anderson would put Georges away me thinks. But on the ground I think GSP would have a chance. What say you?

[/quote]

GSP doesn’t have a chance standing, and would get subbed on the ground. If anyone can take anderson silva down though regardless of his great clinch striking abilities I’d put my money on St. Pierre’s wrestling. But that doesn’t do shit for him when he’s in Silva’s guard.

Dynamic fight though

I hope this is wrong because I would really want to see de la hoya vs Mayweather 2.

[quote]solarflame wrote:
Came across this somewhere else. Anyone here know anything?

"Apparently it was seen on Setanta Sports. Today, shockingly, Floyd Mayweather Jr announced his retirement from boxing, turning down a 20 million pay day vs DLH (De La Hoya) in the process.

Dana White, today in England, mentioned to a reporter that mma is ‘due to have an all star caliber boxer make the jump to mma to help legitimize the sport’.

He is a little fellah so he would be fighting people like Faber, Sherk etc etc but god damn that would be crazy. Apparently he has been training BJJ for almost a year.

Just a rumor, but Dana already said there is a HUGE announcement at tomorrows UFC. I thought he was going to announce a TV deal but this…crazy".
[/quote]

While he’d have to take a paycut, I think they could still afford Pretty Boy. They’re a 2 Billion dollar company… if they crack the vault open (as Tim Sylvia said) to pay Floyd Mayweather they would be forced to pay other fighters more.

But Dana White said the announcement is HUGE and will have basically guide where the sport is going in the next 10 years which is a huge statement. I don’t know if Floyd Mayweather is the next 10yrs though he might mean that kind of athlete (which really is shitting on the other elites in the sport currently to say that).

I don’t like Dana White… I have all sorts of problems with him. But I do believe that the way this shit is run, that its not nearly as easy as people think. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes that we don’t know that make it a lot harder than we think to keep the UFC a float. If it was easy than all these fly by night organizations would still be around.

A lot of this shit as dana white said, “Is smoke and mirrors”.

I’m POSITIVE there are things they could do better, but with the available business models, and how they make their money their options are limited.

Hopefully they’re not as stupid as they seem though.

If this is true, it’d have a major impact for MMA, that’s for sure.
20 Mio Bucks? That’s by far the smallest problem, there are lots of rich guys who’d pay a lot to make this fight happen. I mean, Trump can’t be the only business angel around who’s a fan. And Zuffa isn’t exactly poor, like Xen already stated.

With a former boxing superstar turned MMA pro, the demise of boxing will speed up significantly.

Oviously, I can’t believe that will ever happen, but if Floyd really wants to pull it of, I’d respect him even more.
The boxing fan in me weeps, of course.

“I am sorry I have to leave the sport at this time, knowing I still have my God-given abilities to succeed and future multi-million dollar paydays ahead, including the one right around the corner. But there comes a time when money doesn’t matter. I just can’t do it anymore. I have found a peace with my decision that I have not felt in a long time. Finally, I want to personally thank all of my fans for their loyalty and dedication as my career comes to a close. I always believed that their enthusiasm and support helped carry me to victory with every fight I ever had.”

Given this statement, he is either moving to MMA or pro wrestling. Or he’s being extremely colourful in trying to negotiate a bigger purse.

Or he’s getting his own line of grills that drain fat into a lil pan.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
But Dana White said the announcement is HUGE and will have basically guide where the sport is going in the next 10 years which is a huge statement. I don’t know if Floyd Mayweather is the next 10yrs though he might mean that kind of athlete (which really is shitting on the other elites in the sport currently to say that).

I don’t like Dana White… I have all sorts of problems with him. But I do believe that the way this shit is run, that its not nearly as easy as people think. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes that we don’t know that make it a lot harder than we think to keep the UFC a float. If it was easy than all these fly by night organizations would still be around.

A lot of this shit as dana white said, “Is smoke and mirrors”.

I’m POSITIVE there are things they could do better, but with the available business models, and how they make their money their options are limited.

Hopefully they’re not as stupid as they seem though. [/quote]

I just watched the PPV and didn’t see any mention of an announcement by Dana White, don’t think I missed it.