Is DHEA Worth It?

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Chushin wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:
From the health/wellness standpoint, the use of, for example, 25 mg 2x/day seems well established.

Can you please elaborate and post any relevant links you might have?

Thanks! It’s great having you around.

Here’s a review article from last year that shows supplementation of DHEA in elderly people with frailty syndrome.

http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/12/3/246.pdf

There’s not much evidence for health improvement in normal, healthy men and women. The wellness aspect is extrapolated from these studies on compromised populations, like the elderly, HIV positive, etc…
[/quote]

Well, I don’t know what you call “not much” and so as that’s subjective, and it would be far too time consuming to go re-find everything I’ve ever read on it and find new things as well so as to list everything that there is.

It’s fair to narrow down my statement, though. I wasn’t referring to wellness of 18 year olds. It would be silly for them to take DHEA. Though it’s also fair to say that since this forum is titled “The Over 35 Lifter” that it wasn’t unreasonable for me to assume the reader understood what I was talking about without my having to specifically add in that I wasn’t talking about those in their late teens or twenties.

By 35 or so levels have in fact usually substantially declined, and there are indeed studies regarding middle aged individuals, not just the elderly or those with HIV, etc, as you put it.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

By 35 or so levels have in fact usually substantially declined, and there are indeed studies regarding middle aged individuals, not just the elderly or those with HIV, etc, as you put it.

[/quote]

One only has to go to Pub Med to see the abstracts of recent publications on DHEA studies, and see the scarcity of healthy male and female studies, at any age and across populations. See how many times you see “post menopausal women, lupus, diabetes, anorexic women, older adults, obese, etc.” in each title.

There is one study of healthy individuals that was done in the Czech Republic, that looked at DHEA supplementation in a healthy population. Their findings? Statistical significance is in the eye of the reader: