Is DHEA Worth It?

Waste of my time and money?

It will not have any anobolic effects for a younger normal guy. The main benefits are for older guys where age related decline of DHEA can have some negative effects. Generally, DHEA will not raise T in men, but can for some women.

For those that need DHEA, there is a vast difference between how guys absorb it. My brother takes 25mg ED and his low DHEA shot up. 100mg ED did nothing for me, I now take 340mg (1/8 th teaspoon of DHEA powder). Many who need DHEA also need pregnenolone and there are also problems for many absorbing it orally.

When pregnenolone levels are restored, DHEA levels can often improve and some then do not need to take DHEA.

1 Like

[quote]KSman wrote:
It will not have any anobolic effects for a younger normal guy. The main benefits are for older guys where age related decline of DHEA can have some negative effects. Generally, DHEA will not raise T in men, but can for some women.

For those that need DHEA, there is a vast difference between how guys absorb it. My brother takes 25mg ED and his low DHEA shot up. 100mg ED did nothing for me, I now take 340mg (1/8 th teaspoon of DHEA powder). Many who need DHEA also need pregnenolone and there are also problems for many absorbing it orally.

When pregnenolone levels are restored, DHEA levels can often improve and some then do not need to take DHEA.[/quote]

Ditto and will work best when stacked with other T builders like goat week, tribulus, maca and the like…

My dad uses it. He is 78. Was always in good health but at 78 was slowing down. He is taking 50mg/per day. He said he feels a noticeable difference in general well being and mental awareness. He plays golf 3X per week. He told me he is no longer exhausted after a round. He previosuly was very tired after playing.

I don’t think it is a waste of money for an older man.

1 Like

What if any effects does DHEA have for women? I asked b/c one posted commented that it wont raise test in men, poosibly suggesting it could in women?

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
What if any effects does DHEA have for women? I asked b/c one posted commented that it wont raise test in men, poosibly suggesting it could in women?[/quote]

It does raise T for some women. Side effects can be more and better sex (for her) and maybe some acne for some. If the acne shows up, you know that its getting absorbed and working. At that point the dose could be reduced.

There is a metabolic pathway for DHEA to convert to estradiol without going through testosterone and some men who are already estrogen dominant find that DHEA makes the problem worse. However, using an aromatase inhibitor will interrupt this pathway as well as the testosterone pathway.

1 Like

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
What if any effects does DHEA have for women? I asked b/c one posted commented that it wont raise test in men, poosibly suggesting it could in women?[/quote]

My opinion is women should stay away from this crap.

My wife was diagnosed with Lupus during her last year of grad school. It was purely stress induced, a year after grad school she was completely symptom free, and has been ever since.

The meds the doctors gave her at the time made her feel worse than the Lupus did - splitting headache, so she went to some Naturalpath Doctor. He prescribed DHEA. I noticed her skin changed for the worse very rapidly. It got a little darker, not tan like, just a weird type of darker. It also seemed to get thicker and wasn’t as nice and soft.

When she stopped taking it I was so glad expecting her skin to go back to normal. Guess what? It didn’t. It stayed darker and harder. The only time it went back to normal was while she was pregnant.

I think her skin was probably going in that direction naturally but the DHEA accelerated the process that would have taken a few years into just a couple of months.

Fuck DHEA.

I use something called Endocryn DHEA, 75 mg @ day and it seems to work for me. Having all your harmones working is good.

philipj

I use 100mg/day and use Meditropin, both are Nutraceutics products.

DHEA is DHEA. You can get 75 gram jars of DHEA powder from bulknutrition.com, very inexpensive.

I take 300mg/day which is simply too costly in capsules. 100mg/day did not budge my DHEA-S levels. Some do well with 25mg/day. Absorption rates vary greatly and without lab work, the results are a crap shoot. If you are not good at absorbing DHEA, you probably are not going to absorb pregnenolone very well.

1 Like

I tend to notice a much bigger improvement in well-being with DHEA as opposed to pregnenolone. I’m naturally deficient in estrogen so I can see how the DHEA would have more of an influence in that area since it’s one of it’s predominant metabolites.

I have a fairly fast metabolism so the increase in progesterone and cortisol from the pregnenolone would not be a wise choice.

I can’t tolerate any more than 100mg of DHEA per day. Any higher and I notice my estrogen levels are getting too high, via my main side effect of sore wrists(beginning of carpal tunnel).

The pregnenolone caused my acne to get much worse. Cystic acne and the absence of mood elevation caused me to go back to DHEA which I am much happier with.

I’ve also noticed much better exercise recovery with DHEA as well as energy. They’ve always been a major problem of mine.

2 Likes

Is there a great difference between taking dhea by needle versus oral ingestion.

Interesting point Christian Thibaudeau recently made around page 75 of his “Thibs Q & A” thread in Authors Locker room.

CT Wrote: DHEA … well … it has several drawbacks. First of all the oral version has really poor bioavailability, out of a 50mg pill around 5-10mg will be usable, the other 40-45mg being destroyed by the liver. A DHEA cream (which exists) or spray would be more effective… BUT … in males DHEA will often be converted to estrogen rather than to testosterone. The fatter your are, the more you will convert it to estrogen. On the other hand, DHEA is almost as anabolic in females as some steroids (but it has most of the same side effects).

50 to 100 mg of oral DHEA didn’t do shit for me, and I’m female. Stopped after 3 months, so at least I gave it a chance.

From the health/wellness standpoint, the use of, for example, 25 mg 2x/day seems well established. Especially as it costs about nothing to do, I think it worthwhile.

From the performance enhancement standpoint, I don’t expect any amount of DHEA capsules to do anything.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
From the health/wellness standpoint, the use of, for example, 25 mg 2x/day seems well established. Especially as it costs about nothing to do, I think it worthwhile.

From the performance enhancement standpoint, I don’t expect any amount of DHEA capsules to do anything.[/quote]

I was referring to the latter in my post above.

But now, come to think of it, I’m not sure what it did for my health or wellness, either. But I’m not one to notice subtle effects. A good response has to whack me over the head before it’s any good in my book ;^)

Re DHEA is DHEA. When I was in DEA school they showed us that this was not true with asprin. Back then DEA each month went out and purchased different brands of asprin. The source, manufacturing methods and standards, processing and distribution all affected the same chemical.

The agent told us from these regular tests the lab people only used St Joseph or Bayer for family use. The purpose was to help determine chemicals were being cut to heroin and cocaine, and other dope.

With reference to the Endyocryn DHEA: A lady that was taking it started to 'stake care of" her husband much more regular. He told me he counts the pills to make sure she reorders timely.

I bounce back between Endyocryn DHEA ands Alpha Male. At age 65, yep it works.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:
From the health/wellness standpoint, the use of, for example, 25 mg 2x/day seems well established.

Can you please elaborate and post any relevant links you might have?

Thanks! It’s great having you around.[/quote]

Here’s a review article from last year that shows supplementation of DHEA in elderly people with frailty syndrome.

http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/12/3/246.pdf

There’s not much evidence for health improvement in normal, healthy men and women. The wellness aspect is extrapolated from these studies on compromised populations, like the elderly, HIV positive, etc…