T Nation

Is Dairy Really the Devil?

I have always been somewhat partial to dairy products as a good source of both calories and protein. Now CT recommending that people basically consume dairy as the exception and not the rule, I was curious as to what role milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. has in your diet and if anyone has noticed any positive body comp changes after they cut (out) the cheese

they're going mad...

Wow. So, an author writes something on this forum and people change their entire lives around?

That is an amazing amount of power.

Some of you are just sheep.

I think that suggestion was more due to the fact that many people are lactose intolerant. Also, I think that suggestion would depend if you are cutting or bulking. If bulking, and if you are sure that you are not lactose intolerant, I don't think it would hurt. Dairy is a great way to get in extra calories.

I eat a lot of dairy (well, I don't know if I should say a lot, I drink about a litre of milk a day along with 1 or 2 cups of cottage cheese), but my experience probably isin't worth much as I don't really have a physique worth comparing to.

Cheese.. Yum.....

Not the devil but not MADE for humans either. We've adapted to drinking it. With all the pesticides, bad air and food additives in the midst- dairy is the least of your problems. Just my 2 cents.

I eliminate dairy when getting super lean. And I do notice some difference. But at all other times, it's a go. And that includes dieting. And no one's ever been able to explain to me why cottage cheese is any different or any worse than a whey-casein blend like Metabolic Drive. Something all of the authors on this site have recommended, including CT. I don't drink milk at any time, however. I think it's a fine and easy way to get calories in. But I think there are better choices, and I have no problem using them to meet my needs.

I love milk. That, and fruit, are the 2 things that prevent me from going on a low carb diet, at least for now. But, at present, I just consume fruit/milk before, after and/or during workouts. It really seems to help with energy preservation and I have managed to gain strength while cutting.

As for bulking, well, milk is the greatest option of all time for me. Available everywhere, cheap, rich in nutrition.. Mm-mm!

Just my £0.02

I drink alot of milk, cottage cheese every night, chocolate milk PWO, eat alot of natural yogurt mixed with berries. I remember a similar discussion about fruits or nuts making you fat. Just the other day my fat coworker mentionned to me that I shouldn't eat shrimp because they are high in cholesterol.

To the OP, CT has written a million times his position on dairy products but it looks like you missed it. He was very clear. Use the search and post a link to support your claim.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?

id=1149303&pageNo=279

If you scroll down to the middle of the page, CT basically states that most people are at least slightly intolerant to milk, so the consumption of dairy would lead to an increase in cortisol. I believe that later on in the

I started this thread because I was considering cutting out or at least reducing my consumption of dairy based on CT's advice, but wanted to try and get the opinions of others, which apparently makes me as mindless and easily manipulated sheep. My baaad

It does make you a sheep. If you have had no problems with drinking milk, why would you stop based on the word of one personal trainer as far as some general statement about most people being lactose intolerant?

As much as I like CT, the man is not a doctor. With no symptoms of lactose intolerance, no one would diagnose you as having lactose intolerance. Not only that, but they sell lactose free milk and lactase enzymes.

Most of you aren't even making sure your muscular body weight is increasing and seem to think 16" arms are the epitome of achievment in bodybuilding, but you are concerned about some random squirt of cortisol based on what scientific data?

Dairy is Jesus

So true. Metabolic Drive is lactose-free dairy-derived protein. It's made from milk. Just like cottage cheese.

FYI, I think both are great.

If you dance with the devil...the devil doesn't change. It just provides you with an excellent source of calories and protein.

I'm allergic to every lil proteins contained in dairy products.

I dont see much of a difference physiologically between me and other people, i think that we need to take the milk issue like the soy issue, it can be harmless and even good in small quantities but in enormous quantities it can probably affect your life in a bad aspect.

Anyway, there's a lot of alternatives, proteins coming from veggies, eggs, etc....

soy can be a usefull proteins too when you dont fear the ''deadly effet'' of phytates and phytoestrogens that has never been prooved whatsoever.

Sorry for my bad english

I eat NO dairy whatsoever unless its a cheat day. I am not lactose intolerant but I do not believe dairy to be a good choice over chicken or red meat, just easier. Don't get me wrong, I love cheese, etc. But when trying to get hard, dairy does not help. Also when trying to gain weight, I prefer quality over ease. That's just me though.

-M

Agreed. They are both great.

Read this snow:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2244890

I couldnt open your link but Im sure it says pretty much the same thing. Or listen to the vets here. Good luck.

OUPS I meant this:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2091311&pageNo=0

Lesson learned, this thread was pretty pointless as its just a more recent version of the thread you linked me to. Thanks, i suppose this calls for me using the search button first in the future