T Nation

Is Creatine Right For Me?

Hi All,

So I am currently doing the 2 workouts per week program, I play hockey twice a week and I also do martial arts 1 day per week (jiu jitsu) so I am pretty active.

I am looking to lose a bit of fat and gain muscle like most guys, and I am also looking to gain strength for improved performance in my sports.

So with only 2 weight training workouts per week does it make sense to use creatine? Would I take it every day or just before weight training? Obviously I don’t know too much about it, thast is why I am asking, hope this is not a stupid question…

Thaks!

Taking a creatine supplement will only help. It can help increase your explosiveness. Take 5g every day. Creatine levels take time to build up, so taking it twice a week is kind of pointless in my opinion.

[quote]PeterMan wrote:
So I am currently doing the 2 workouts per week program, I play hockey twice a week and I also do martial arts 1 day per week (jiu jitsu) so I am pretty active.

I am looking to lose a bit of fat and gain muscle like most guys, and I am also looking to gain strength for improved performance in my sports.

So with only 2 weight training workouts per week does it make sense to use creatine? Would I take it every day or just before weight training? Obviously I don’t know too much about it, thast is why I am asking, hope this is not a stupid question…[/quote]
5 grams a day (one serving) shortly before or right after each training session, whether it’s lifting, JJ, or hockey, should do you just fine.

Any questions about your training or diet? Those are going to have more impact on your results than just some creatine.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]PeterMan wrote:

So with only 2 weight training workouts per week does it make sense to use creatine? Would I take it every day or just before weight training? Obviously I don’t know too much about it, thast is why I am asking, hope this is not a stupid question…[/quote]
5 grams a day (one serving) shortly before or right after each training session, whether it’s lifting, JJ, or hockey, should do you just fine.

Any questions about your training or diet? Those are going to have more impact on your results than just some creatine.[/quote]

Thanks for the responses, Right now training is going well, diet is so-so lol…

[quote]PeterMan wrote:

Any questions about your training or diet? Those are going to have more impact on your results than just some creatine.[/quote]

Thanks for the responses, Right now training is going well, diet is so-so lol… [/quote]
Ha, I was wondering. No prob.

I like this article for setting up some pretty basic general nutrition principles. Might help a bit:

You may have to test it and see how you hande the creatine. It typically makes me very sick to my stomach. But, I have noticed when I purchase a better quality brand and take slightly less I can take it with no issues.

[quote]PeterMan wrote:

Thanks for the responses, Right now training is going well, diet is so-so lol… [/quote]
Ha, I was wondering. No prob.

I like this article for setting up some pretty basic general nutrition principles. Might help a bit:

[/quote]

Great article, thanks for posting that!

[quote]Tony Pearn wrote:
You may have to test it and see how you hande the creatine. It typically makes me very sick to my stomach. But, I have noticed when I purchase a better quality brand and take slightly less I can take it with no issues. [/quote]

This is true with nearly every supplement. The less you pay, the lower quality you get.