Is Creatine Essential ?

[quote]Equilibrium wrote:
Can someone please tell me where to get some scientific studies or data, showing that creatine needs to be, or there is any good reason for it to be cycled? Because as far as I know, there is nothing out there.[/quote]

Creatine does not need to be cycled.

I’ve literally never had any stomach problems using creatine. Surprising to see so many that do, guess I am lucky.

[quote]bikemike wrote:
And for my money, that’s not worth it, especially when you consider the unpleasantness it causes.[/quote]

Really? What side effects do you get, Mike?

[quote]DPH wrote:
all anecdotal of course…but these are some faily intense guys…shit, they would probaby inject battery acid directly into their eyeball if they though it would actually give them a 10% boost over a competitor…

but yet not one of them take creatine…[/quote]

Are they on juice? I would imagine that 10% applies to unadulterated athletes, and I can well imagine any small gains from creatine being swamped out by the huge gains offered by steroids (if they are indeed hard trainers).

Personally, I started taking creatine for a couple of months, and when my supply ran out I decided not to buy anymore because I felt it wasn’t doing anything for me. After a week or so my workouts and recovery started to suffer. I continued for a while, and then started taking creating again. What do you know, things got better.

From my personal, anecdotal experience I gather that the benefits are small and gradual, and you only notice them when you lose them. (Isn’t it like that with the best things in life?) I think for me it’s worth it.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
bikemike wrote:
And for my money, that’s not worth it, especially when you consider the unpleasantness it causes.

Really? What side effects do you get, Mike?[/quote]

I should really read the whole thread before putting my fat fingers on the keyboard… (I read your reply further up, Mike.)

Creatine worked for me. I drink around 12 cups of water and 2 cups of OJ when I take creatine. Never had any unpleasant side effects

I got the runs the first time I took creatine.Didn’t dissolve it in hot,hot water first,and when I started doing that everything has been good.

Creatine is a decent supplement. However, I would say that it’s not essential for progress. In fact, some people see no difference at all when they take it.

I have used it maybe three or four times in the past. Currently (and for the past several years) I have not used it and I’m still making gains.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Miserere wrote:
bikemike wrote:
And for my money, that’s not worth it, especially when you consider the unpleasantness it causes.

Really? What side effects do you get, Mike?

I should really read the whole thread before putting my fat fingers on the keyboard… (I read your reply further up, Mike.)[/quote]

I haven’t said that my problems were gastro-intestinal. That was other people assuming. The feeling I get with creatine is the same feeling I had when I was injected with dye during some medical procedure a few years ago. I got all flush and hot and shaky all over. It’s really unpleasant. I realize that most of the scientific literature shows improvements with creatine, and I let people know that, but it just isn’t a supplement I do anymore.

As for you not reading the whole thread through before responding, everybody does that. It’s okay.

I’ve been using creatine differently than prescribed by most articles. I only take it once about an hour before workout and then once later in that day. It seems to be working well, but I guess I should try a few weeks without it to see if it’s actually working.

I’m almost out, I’ll try awhile without it and report back how my progress goes.

[quote]Just curious, how many pills do you have to take to get the equivalent of 5mg creatine monohydrate?
[/quote]

Well, the bottle recommends 2 pills morning/2 pills afternoon, equiv. to 2.8 grams per day. So almost 8 pills, but I’m not taking that many right now.

-daMOJO-

[quote]nanjingldv wrote:
I’ve seen ads for that. They’re pretty expensive compared to the creatine monhydrate, please keep us updated on how the new creatine works out.
Thanks

[/quote]

Yup, it cost something foul. I’ll post my results in a few weeks.

-daMOJO-

The only thing that is essential is will power.

Where can we buy this “Will Power”? How much is it? Is it safe to use?

Aw who cares if it’s safe, I’ll buy anything!

[quote]provy07 wrote:
The only thing that is essential is will power.[/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:

provy07 wrote:

LOL

[quote]ZEB wrote:
David Barr wrote:

provy07 wrote:
The only thing that is essential is will power.

LOL[/quote]

Yes, can I use Will Power with Alpha Male and Surge?:slight_smile:

I add approximately 5 grams of creatine monohydrate to Surge for my post workout. It is inexpensive and doesn’t cause me any negative side effects, so to me it is worth taking.

Christopher

Well, I’ve gained 40 pounds without using it. It’s certainly not essential.

[quote]David Barr wrote:

provy07 wrote:

Will Power could be the next Biotest supplement.

Ugh. It’s been ages but there were data out there regarding transporter efficiency and/ or endogenous down-regulation. Again, we need to separate the science (real) from the marketing (semi-real?). Back to the “essential” thing… like creatine itself, cycling (simply meaning occasional “off” periods, not some esoteric loading regime) probably isn’t “essential” but remains prudent over the long haul. Beyond this, it’s a personal choice to consume a substance constantly for months and years at a time.

I still say periodizing nutrition and supplements with one’s training mesocycles is best - as a rule of thumb.

[quote]Need4Speed wrote:
Equilibrium wrote:
Can someone please tell me where to get some scientific studies or data, showing that creatine needs to be, or there is any good reason for it to be cycled? Because as far as I know, there is nothing out there.

Creatine does not need to be cycled.[/quote]