T Nation

Is Creatine Effective?

Is creatine really worth shelling out the cash for, or am I just paying for super pricey urine? Seriously, does it help?

Hey Tiffy,

Yes creatine is effective at least for me. The only problem I have with it, is I have cotton mouth all day long.  
 Just use the search engine to look up dosing.   
      "Sancho"

Although it does nothing for me, I’ve read many times over that it’s very effective for 80 - 85% of the population.

I find creatine to be very effective. Pills and capsules are usually pretty worthless. I suggest going with the powder form. I like to stay away from any creatine supplements with a lot of ‘extras’ thrown in, like glutamine, tyrosine, opium, or whatever bullshit flavor of the week is thrown in. These usually just raise the cost. I don’t feel much of a difference between citrate and monohydrate. The argument is that citrate causes less water retention and a greater percentage of it is absorbed by the muscles. They work about the same for me. My recovery is better post workout, I have less soreness, I see better size gains (although some of it is water) and my strength gains improve when I’m on creatine. The general rule is…get a creatine supplement that is pure and that is less expensive. If you want someone to give you a little more detailed and scientific explanation try writing into Cy Wilson, I’m sure he’ll tell you more than you ever wanted to know about creatine supplementation in a future Cy-Borg. In the meantime, hope I was helpful.

Hey Tiffy,

Try it. You can get 500 grams of regular old Creatine Monohydrate for cheap. I drink five grams every morning , and if I work out I drink five more grams again in my PWO drink. At least try it for a month. You might respond well.I hope this helps…

Joe_

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.
do?article=295naked2

This is the latest low-down on creatine.

If you type ‘creatine’ into the search engine it pops up right away.

I was going to recommend the same article. Yes, creatine IS effective.

Give it a go.

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.
do?article=295naked2

This is the latest low-down on creatine.

If you type ‘creatine’ into the search engine it pops up right away.[/quote]

There is no doubt creatine can help you gain mass, but how do you retain that when you stop using creatine - I can gain 7-9lbs when loading up on creatine but this disappears as soon as I stop taking it.

[quote]planbeta wrote:
There is no doubt creatine can help you gain mass, but how do you retain that when you stop using creatine - I can gain 7-9lbs when loading up on creatine but this disappears as soon as I stop taking it.[/quote]

Read article above.

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
planbeta wrote:
There is no doubt creatine can help you gain mass, but how do you retain that when you stop using creatine - I can gain 7-9lbs when loading up on creatine but this disappears as soon as I stop taking it.

Read article above.[/quote]

Jared, I can’t find any information pertaining to keeping the weight gained from creatine, when going off creatine.

I have been on creatine for a long time and haven’t really known if it had been working. When I got off it, however, I noticed I wasn’t as strong. Pure creatine is so cheap, you might as well be on it.

What about that new product called “NoX” or “NoX2” something like that? It’s supposed to have all the benifits of creatine without the water retention. Anybody tried it??

you must be talking about “NO2” It’s trash. I’ve seen people use it and have ZERO improvements. It’s supposed to upregulate nitrogen retention, but in all honesty, you’re better off spending the money on proper nutrition and eating some good protein

From some of the studies that I have read through a couple things have stood out. Creatine does give you increased strength but only for a limited time. Your body can only hold so much so the loading phase is really just so you will increase the dosage and need to buy more. The extra creatine only stays in the bloodstream for a couple hours so only use it an hour prior to lifting. Your body can only take in so much and once it’s saturated the excess is useless. So only use 3-5 grams, as apposed to the 10-20 grams per serving that some recommend. With all this in mind it is one of the few products that does work so you should definetly use it.

planbeta, the weight gain you see with creatine supplementation is water gain. When you stop taking creatine, you’ll lose the water.

Taking creatine has been proven to increase strength. And logic would suggest that increased strength would allow you to lift heavier weight for more reps, resulting in hypertrophy (muscle growth).

But even with creatine, gaining strength is dependent upon your doing the type of workout that will result in strength gains (i.e., strength rep ranges; 5x5, 6x4, anything less than 6 reps per set). And real hypertrophy (not water weight gain) is going to be dependent upon taking in enough protein and calories…but not so much so that you end up putting on fat!

Tiffy, if you like to lift heavy and your goal is to increase strength, creatine is a worthwhile investment.

wow…thanks for all of the thoughtful replies

ive used the mircoionized stuff and i followed the typical 5servings of 5 grams a day for the first week and 1 serving of 5 grams everyday after that. i noticed that i urinated more than normal, which is wierd since it is supposed to make you retain water. other than that, i had no noticable changes except for a lighter wallet. maybe its just me, but id preffer to do a bottle of Mag 10 and see 30 lbs increased on most big lifts within a few minutes of the first serving. do that only after lifting, nutrition and sleep are in order, and save your money cause creatine is useless in my experience

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth…I tried creatine for a while and it did absolutely nothing for me. If anything, I put on weight (due to the accompanying water retention) and when I stopped using it, I was able to go back to my weight and, surprisingly, my strength. I find that eating lean cuts of red meat provide me with the energy that creatine would provide me. Sure, it takes a lot longer to digest and absorb, but at least I get to enjoy the taste of something else (natural!) and get the same benefits, more or less.

A couple of guys at my gym have made some great progress on creatine but lose a lot of it when they stop. I’m one of the unfourtunate non responders. Never did anything for me…

If I may offer a humble opinion based on my readings and experience… Creatine is the same as any supplement, when using knowledge is power. I read an article, probably on this site, relating the needs of the body for creatine. The loading phase is bunk, marketting to increase sales. I use creatine with a ‘transport system’(gotta love the way marketting works sometimes, that is a fancy way of saying 'we give you the dextrose and some other stuff to make it get to your muscles better…lol…) once a day, 5gms, post workout. I have noticed some gains. These would disappear, of course, if I only used the stuff for a short time and did not allow my body to use the increase in strength to promote hypertrophy. With that in mind, I usually ‘cycle’ creatine, 12 weeks on… 12 off. You can’t expect miracles, good nutrition is still of primary importance. I have gained about 5 lbs lately, hopefully not too much is water…
A young fella talked to me once after a ‘chest\back’ work out, apparently he was impressed with some of the exercises I used, courtesy of Mssers Waterbury and Defranco. I mentioned diet as being the big thing for gaining and getting lean. His reaction was surprise!! Apparently, he thought it, diet, would have been 4th or 5th down the list.
Good luck with your quest. I hope you find the support you need from here and closer to home… I too know what it is like to be misunderstood… with no support… due to my appearance…lol…(did I mention that I have been told that I look ‘too good’, no one seems to take me seriously, THAT is a fucking laugh)