T Nation

Is Creatine a Smart Move?

Hey everybody,
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I’m kind of new to this site =)…
Anyway, I’m in the process of doing cardio in the morning, and after my workouts occasionally, and I was contemplating taking creatine. My question is; would that be a smart move? Being that I am doing cardio to lose the gut.

[quote]rayraygunner wrote:
Hey everybody,
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I’m kind of new to this site =)…
Anyway, I’m in the process of doing cardio in the morning, and after my workouts occasionally, and I was contemplating taking creatine. My question is; would that be a smart move? Being that I am doing cardio to lose the gut.[/quote]

After reading Shugart’s latest blog, I’m trying not to laugh with this question.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/hi_im_an_idiot

What do you mean by workout “occasionally”?

Please tell me you don’t want to take creatine to help you with your morning cardio…

Creatine monohydrate will not inhibit fat loss, if that’s what you’re worried about.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Creatine monohydrate will not inhibit fat loss, if that’s what you’re worried about.[/quote]

at the same time, this question leads me to believe the OP needs to do some reading on nutrition, fat loss, and exercise.

There’s a bunch of articles here, get started

As far as I’m concerned creatine has been shown to aid both anaerobic and aerobic trainingm especially anaerobic (weight training).

There are many schools of toughts with regards which is the best type of creatine. Basically this is what is all about:

-Creatine Monohydrate-best creatine is german creatine monohydrate with the ‘crea pure’ logo on. Drink with a sugary drink. Avoid grape juice. Pros: Cheap Cons: Conversion to creatinine is quite high.

-Kre-Alkalyn: Basically is a mixture of creatine monohydrate, sodium bicarbonate and maltodextrine. Highly suggested to make your own mixture. Check for ratios. If you buy in capsule form then :

Pros: Less creatinine convertion
Cons: Relatively expensive.

-Creatine Ethyl Ester (or CEE)- Basically is creatine with a fatty carrier. It should absorbed better this way.

Pros: Some say its the best creatine since it is absorbed better.

Cons. A bit expensive

Best advice- Buy some creatine monhydrate, mix some sodium bicarbonate and sonme maltodextrine and there you go. your custom made kre-alkalyn.

5G ED pre workout is enough. Drink with some juice and you’re good to go. Its cheap as hell. Keep things simple. As long as you eat and lift you should be fine.

BC

JN7844, I always run in the morning but sometimes if i have time ill do some cardio after hitting the weights, that’s what I meant LOL…
HK24719, thanks that’s one of the things I was worried about.

Definitely jehovasfitness! I’ll agree with you that I need to step up my reading on this material.
Bicep_craze, amazing, thanks for the details!!! I’ll get back to the forum on any updates.

Most folks get good results from plain ole’ creatine monohydrate I wouldn’t worry too much about jazzing it up.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Most folks get good results from plain ole’ creatine monohydrate I wouldn’t worry too much about jazzing it up.[/quote]

x2

People tend to over-complicate something as simple as taking 5g Creatine monohydrate before or after training.

I usually just mix mine in with my PWO Surge Recovery.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
Most folks get good results from plain ole’ creatine monohydrate I wouldn’t worry too much about jazzing it up.

x2

People tend to over-complicate something as simple as taking 5g Creatine monohydrate before or after training.

I usually just mix mine in with my PWO Surge Recovery.[/quote]

I’m more then glad to ‘over complicate’ creatine monohydrate with some sodium bicarbonate and maltodextrine. It’s cheap and all it takes is 2 minutes to make the mixture.

OP-If you are lazy then just throw in creatine mono. Some creatinine is not going to kill you anyway.

I intended to read what biceps craze wrote, then I got distracted.

damn moving avatars.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
I intended to read what biceps craze wrote, then I got distracted.

damn moving avatars.[/quote]

lol