T Nation

Is Cream Cheese Healthy?

I’m trying to figure out if Cream Cheese is healthy, not-healthy, or just terrible for you. Typically I like a wheat bagel with cream cheese in the morning, maybe another one around lunch. I’m not trying to bulk up or slim down, but would like to maintain. How do you think the bagel and the cream cheese plays into this? What is the verdict on cream cheese?

It’s a combination of mostly saturated fats and high GI starch with very little protein. Unless you are a hardgainer who can tolerate fats and carbs together it’s a snack to be avoided.

I agree, its pretty terrible. When i was bulking, I ate a lot of bagels and cream cheese. But now since i’m cutting, I wouldn’t dare touch one of those. Its killer.

[quote]MattFarlick wrote:
I’m trying to figure out if Cream Cheese is healthy, not-healthy, or just terrible for you. Typically I like a wheat bagel with cream cheese in the morning, maybe another one around lunch. I’m not trying to bulk up or slim down, but would like to maintain. How do you think the bagel and the cream cheese plays into this? What is the verdict on cream cheese?[/quote]

High GI carbs + saturated fat = BAD

DJ

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
It’s a combination of mostly saturated fats and high GI starch with very little protein. Unless you are a hardgainer who can tolerate fats and carbs together it’s a snack to be avoided.[/quote]

Cream cheese contains 11g fat (6 saturated) less than 1g carbs, and 3g protein per serving. There’s nothing wrong with it. If you like it, then by all means eat it.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
Kruiser wrote:
It’s a combination of mostly saturated fats and high GI starch with very little protein. Unless you are a hardgainer who can tolerate fats and carbs together it’s a snack to be avoided.

Cream cheese contains 11g fat (6 saturated) less than 1g carbs, and 3g protein per serving. There’s nothing wrong with it. If you like it, then by all means eat it.
[/quote]

Now add in the bagel and it’s a recipe for fat gain. Again, unless you tolerate carbs well and need tons of calories (i.e. hardgainer), it’s a very poor nutritional choice that I would definitely limit to the occasional treat.

How about a wheat bagel with peanut butter on it? much better? I’m trying to come up with an easy breakfast that’s healthy, cheap and quick to create.

You should really be asking if your bagel is healthy…

One of my favorite unhealthy food choices is a salt bagel with cream cheese and bacon. I can feel my heart stopping just thinking about it.

If, as your profile says, you are actually a partner at a hedge fund, here’s what you need to do: Take some money and pay someone to educate you. Really.

[quote]YoungGunner wrote:
You should really be asking if your bagel is healthy…[/quote]

What about when you take a nicely toasted English muffin and slather it with cream cheese? I’ll take two…

A wheat Bagel with cream cheese can make an OK mixed macronutrient meal for bulking if eaten with protein. On its own, however, its basically carbs+fat…not good

[quote]abominabelsnoman wrote:
A wheat Bagel with cream cheese can make an OK mixed macronutrient meal for bulking if eaten with protein. On its own, however, its basically carbs+fat…not good [/quote]

i’ll bet its loaded with vitamins and minerals too!

honestly, do yourself a favor and eat an avocado if you have the hankering for something a little fatty.

the fat free cream cheese by philadelphia tastes pretty much the same and is easier to spread. i would try this.

[quote]Rusty Barbell wrote:
the fat free cream cheese by philadelphia tastes pretty much the same and is easier to spread. i would try this.[/quote]

I actually just had some of this not 5 minutes ago. Like you said, fat free, and 5:1 protein/carbs, what’s not to like when on a diet?

You are in some serious need of basic nutritional advice. If it doesn’t say WHOLE GRAIN then for gods sakes, don’t eat it. Hard gainer or not.
Your breakfast is seriously lacking in protein and fiber. Eggs are cheap and as long as you don’t throw away the yolk they are packed with vitamins and minerals.

A typical breakfast for me consists of.
2/3 cup Oatmeal
I then mix 2 tablespoons of 100% natural crunchy peanut butter and one scoop of chocolate protein powder. Plus one orange and a yogurt makes for a killer breakfast. Not to mention the oatmeal tastes freakin amazing when prepared this way.

Oh, and I don’t mean to be rude, but did you seriously think that there was actually a possibility that cream cheese would be healthy? Come on man… your smarter then that.

        Hey is it me or are we off topic here? Like Drake said the cheese is fine low carb high pro a bit of fat. What's wrong with that? I eat it infrequently for a little pro boost with moderate fat low cal, and low carb. Fat free. You guys are going back and forth on the bagel, but he asked specifically about the cream cheese I believe. I toss it on turkey Italian sausage, or salami or whatever, just not on carbed out shit. 
        I think I'll have some right now fuck it,...ha ha.lol.
        later guys.

[quote]YoungGunner wrote:
You should really be asking if your bagel is healthy…[/quote]

I agree. How about an apple slathered in natural peanut butter? Buy one of those apple corers, and it’s super quick and tasty.

On the weekends I sometimes like whipped cream cheese, smoked salmon and eziekiel bread. Lots of capers too…and onions. Yum. Not as quite as tasty as a bagel but mostly better I think. Smoked trout is also good…

Funny, i just bought some 30 mins ago. I doesnt look too bad too me. You just dont want to rely on it. I am going to use mine with almonds, protein powder, oats, etc and make a protein bar.