Is Cow Tongue Healthy?

How healthy is it for your ? anyone here eat this ? i sometimes get it when i have tacos or burritos.

i love this stuff get at a kosher deli not to heathy high in bad fat i think.

For the most part, it is a lean beef. Just don’t eat the skin. The rest depends on how it is prepared. Many places boil it, some will fry it up.

I like it but haven’t had it in a long time.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20u9.html

pretty fatty when compared to straight beef.

Beef fat can be good, if you get grass-fed. In fact, the fat off of grass-fed tastes to me exactly like Flameout burps.

Chinese people make a delicious dish out of cow tongue. From what I remember, it is indeed relatively high in fat so I can’t say its “healthy”, but I’m betting you can get away with having some in a bulking diet.

My bad. Didn’t think it was THAT high in fat.

Thanks for the link though.

A very lean cheap source of beef is beef hearts. But really any part isnt BAD some higher in fat than others.

Good stuff, strange texture though. I prefer ox tail when it comes to strange cattle parts. There’s a Korean stew made of ox tail broth that’s great for your joints and bones…and hangovers.

its high and fat, which makes it awesome in a stew. I remember my grandma served tounge stew to me when I was a little kid and I freaked out after I learned what the special meat was that made it so damn tasty!

Also, cow rectum is pretty dang good. Give it a try!

I second the beef heart suggestion. You have to cook the hell out of it though otherwise it is tough like jerky. Stew it in a crock pot in chili, tastes great, and high in iron.

[quote]FlyingEmuOfDoom wrote:
Also, cow rectum is pretty dang good. Give it a try![/quote]

Delicious! :wink:

Christopher

We had a cow tongue one time. We found a recipe for Cow Tongue in Raisin Sauce. It was chunked & then sloooow cooked in a vinegar based sauce. We ate it on a bed of rice. MMMMM Good.

Now, about preparing - it is nasty to skin! The taste buds have deep roots, ad it may ruin the experience for you if you have a weak stomach.

I hear cow tongue is AWESOME for sandwiches.

My mom used to boil it and then skin it, and grind it up and make a meat salad out of it. It was delicious.

I was eating some at work one time on a sandwich, and some girl I worked with, asked me what it was. I gave her some before telling her what it was made of. That was the last time she mooched off me.

In my travels I’ve eating whatever the locals ate, such as some type of larvae and supposedly raw horse…

I have to say though, that I don’t think I’ll ever eat the tongue of anything, at least not by choice.

It’s in every hot dog you ever ate.

[quote]Magister Ludi wrote:
FlyingEmuOfDoom wrote:
Also, cow rectum is pretty dang good. Give it a try!

It’s in every hot dog you ever ate.[/quote]

Yep.

I prefer skunk rectum. More flavor.

Tongue was in this big chef salad at a deli I used to go to. I remember it as being not unlike brisket or corned beef.

The only problem with it, for me, is tasting something that may be TASTING ME BACK.

Richard