Is Coffee Bad?

Ok, I am a HUGE coffee drinker in the mornings! But don’t worry I only I have 2 cups each morning, or at least I fill my coffee mug to the top. Is coffee a big no, no when trying to shape up, lose body fat, etc.? Please don’t tell me I have to give it up…

its no different than coke or other sodas. its quick carbs, hence you should only have it post workout. that doesnt mean its the best choice though

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:
its no different than coke or other sodas. its quick carbs, hence you should only have it post workout. that doesnt mean its the best choice though[/quote]

Not necessarily. I drink my coffee without milk and sugar.

To make a long story short: No, it’s not “bad”. I personally drink two cups a day. As with many things, there are pros and cons to be considered, but when consumed in reasonable amounts, it’s not a problem. Here is a good article on the subject:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=461957

A couple of cups of coffee isn’t going to hurt you. It’s not a carb, though. Black coffee has virtually no calories.

No carbs in my coffee.

Coffee is fine. Assuming we’re not talking about a venti caramel macchiato with 400 calories or something.

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:
its no different than coke or other sodas. its quick carbs, hence you should only have it post workout. that doesnt mean its the best choice though[/quote]

Indeed, no carbs in coffee, i enjoy my 1 travel mug of black coffee every morning. Along with my HOT-ROX it cures my need to hit the snooze button 50 times.

Coffee is fine in moderation, though don’t drink it or other caffeinated drinks peri workout if your using Surge. Caffeine decreases insulin sensitivity thus decreasing glucose utitlization in your muscle cells after your workou. so caffeine + Surge= not a good mixture

2 cups of coffee a day is next to irrelevant as long as the caffeine doesn�??t turn you into a freak.

[quote]Serd wrote:
Coffee is fine in moderation, though don’t drink it or other caffeinated drinks peri workout if your using Surge. Caffeine decreases insulin sensitivity thus decreasing glucose utitlization in your muscle cells after your workou. so caffeine + Surge= not a good mixture[/quote]

Where did you get this information?? I’d be curious to read it. I drink coffee pre workout and have a Surge type drink PWO, and have never heard this before.

[quote]bw1985 wrote:
Serd wrote:
Coffee is fine in moderation, though don’t drink it or other caffeinated drinks peri workout if your using Surge. Caffeine decreases insulin sensitivity thus decreasing glucose utitlization in your muscle cells after your workou. so caffeine + Surge= not a good mixture

Where did you get this information?? I’d be curious to read it. I drink coffee pre workout and have a Surge type drink PWO, and have never heard this before.[/quote]

That study cannot be applied here because

1. subjects were diabetic
  2. exercise decreased the effect on insulin sensitivity
  3. coffee is not the same as caffeine, and its effects are not the same
  4. other studies show that drinking coffee is associated with lower risk of diabetes; the nature of the relationship is not clear
  1. exercise actually INCREASES insulin sensitivity
  2. coffee contains caffeine, our discussion was on caffeine and how coffee has caffeine
  3. science always changes. accept it and move on

[quote]bw1985 wrote:
Serd wrote:

Where did you get this information?? I’d be curious to read it. I drink coffee pre workout and have a Surge type drink PWO, and have never heard this before.[/quote]

Check out the article on caffeine here http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=461957
they talk about it.

Caffeine can really wake you up for your workout though, so even if there’s a negative associated with drinking coffee pre-workout, theres still a positive.

[quote]bw1985 wrote:
Caffeine can really wake you up for your workout though, so even if there’s a negative associated with drinking coffee pre-workout, theres still a positive.[/quote]

How is “waking you up” a postiive thing for your body by using caffeine?

I mean seriously think about it, there are plenty of other ways to wake up in the morning other than caffeine. Caffeine stimulates your CNS and could greatly increase the amount of stress you put on your body eventually leading to adrenal burnout or adrenal fatique if used frequently enough with high enough doses.

Personally the only time i use caffeine is about 30 min before my cardio sessions.
Caffein itself is not bad but moderation is key to everything in life. Not every morning to “wake up”.

I didn’t say every morning, I said before a workout, which is exactly what you said you were using it for…

A cup of coffee 3-4x a week before workouts, I don’t see how thats overdoing it.

[quote]bw1985 wrote:
I didn’t say every morning, I said before a workout, which is exactly what you said you were using it for…

A cup of coffee 3-4x a week before workouts, I don’t see how thats overdoing it.[/quote]

No, i believe you misread what I said, I use it BEFORE CARDIO SESSIONS. You probably dont even know why… Let me explain. Caffeine increase fax oxidation. Meaning that there is more fat in your blood stream that is being used for energy than carbohydrates (glucose). So therefore, burning more fat than glycogen.

a cup of coffee 3-4 times a week before workouts??? I workout 4 times a week, I do like glucose being stored as glycogen in my muscle cells after a hard workout but i dont know about you.
please lets end this conversation

HAHAHA ADRENAL FATIGUE OMG

I usually put a table spoon of low-fat creamer and two packets of sweet-n-low in my coffee. I’m sure this is a big no-no so maybe I should try to just drink it black from now on?! That’s gonna tough…

Two cups each morning doesn’t make you a HUGE coffee drinker.

Coffee? Now I’M a huge drinker. I fuckin’ shower in that shit.