Is Clean Bulking w/out Creatine Pointless?

ur gonna start taking ROIDZ

[quote]Arms Afire wrote:
I sense a “no-bulk” coming.[/quote]

what does that mean

[quote]shoobey wrote:
Therizza wrote:
What’s your diet look like.

just switched to bulking from cutting the beginning of this week. At this point I am just “winging it” as far as calories go and doing a clean bulk, but eating a little above maintenance to see how my body responds to clean bulking since I’ve never done it. But I plan to just clean bulk and play with the calorie levels until I figure out how much I need to eat to put on muscle w/o putting on fat.

I’m not sure if I am eating enough right now for bulking especically since I decided to do a clean bulk, but I figure i’d rather put in the time now and do trial and error and find the right amount for me, then just start eating 3000 calories a day or whatever from day 1 and just sticking to that indefinately, and possibly winding up with excess fat gain if I am eating too much without realizing it.

I also plan to throw in some cardio once I figure out what calorie level I need to do, seems too tricky to try to figure out the calories while I am also doing cardio, since that is going to mess with how much I will need to eat as well.[/quote]

fat gain? Dont take this the wrong way, but 5’7" and 140 lbs. Forget about bulking,cutting, micro-nutrients,and cardio. eat,lift and every couple of months look in the mirror and adjust as needed. It is not complicated.

"shoobey
Level 0

Blog
Photos
Videos
Favorites
Find Posts
Chat

says it all :wink:

[quote]GJA_BOSTON wrote:
shoobey wrote:
Therizza wrote:

just switched to bulking from cutting the beginning of this week. At this point I am just “winging it” as far as calories go and doing a clean bulk, but eating a little above maintenance to see how my body responds to clean bulking since I’ve never done it. But I plan to just clean bulk and play with the calorie levels until I figure out how much I need to eat to put on muscle w/o putting on fat.

I’m not sure if I am eating enough right now for bulking especically since I decided to do a clean bulk, but I figure i’d rather put in the time now and do trial and error and find the right amount for me, then just start eating 3000 calories a day or whatever from day 1 and just sticking to that indefinately, and possibly winding up with excess fat gain if I am eating too much without realizing it.

I also plan to throw in some cardio once I figure out what calorie level I need to do, seems too tricky to try to figure out the calories while I am also doing cardio, since that is going to mess with how much I will need to eat as well.

fat gain? Dont take this the wrong way, but 5’7" and 140 lbs. Forget about bulking,cutting, micro-nutrients,and cardio. eat,lift and every couple of months look in the mirror and adjust as needed. It is not complicated.[/quote]

I am 140 lbs but at very low bodyfat, about 8 months ago I was over 190 lbs at well over 20% bodyfat. Although there are people on here that start lifting at 140 lbs, that is not me. I’m not an ectomorph or hard gainer, just a guy that fell off lifting for a good while and put on a lot of fat, and now that I got rid of most of my fat I am ready to increase my size.

[quote]benmoore wrote:
"shoobey
Level 0

Blog
Photos
Videos
Favorites
Find Posts
Chat

says it all ;)[/quote]

relative to most of the people on this forum I am probably a “newb”, but just because I just registered on here doesn’t mean I don’t know anything? I did just complete a successful cut and I have posted pictures on here. I have never clean bulked or really been in the position to because this is the first time in my life I’ve ever been satisfied with my bodyfat level, but lack of bulking knowledge doesn’t necessarily mean I don’t know anytthing?

[quote]shoobey wrote:
benmoore wrote:
"shoobey
Level 0

Blog
Photos
Videos
Favorites
Find Posts
Chat

relative to most of the people on this forum I am probably a “newb”, but just because I just registered on here doesn’t mean I don’t know anything? I did just complete a successful cut and I have posted pictures on here. I have never clean bulked or really been in the position to because this is the first time in my life I’ve ever been satisfied with my bodyfat level, but lack of bulking knowledge doesn’t necessarily mean I don’t know anytthing?
[/quote]

Dude, nobody said you know NOTHING. However, you did think that Creatine would store water over your ABZ. Which is just silly. The bad part is that people were humoring you in that line of thought.

Second, someone asked you about tracking calories, you wrote:

"At this point I am just “winging it” as far as calories go and doing a clean bulk, but eating a little above maintenance to see how my body responds to clean bulking since I’ve never done it. But I plan to just clean bulk and play with the calorie levels until I figure out how much I need to eat to put on muscle w/o putting on fat. "

Then someone says to just eat lift and adjust. Basically saying keep it simple, which you SOUNDED like you were wanting to do in the previous statement. But to this you say:

" am 140 lbs but at very low bodyfat, about 8 months ago I was over 190 lbs at well over 20% bodyfat. Although there are people on here that start lifting at 140 lbs, that is not me. I’m not an ectomorph or hard gainer, just a guy that fell off lifting for a good while and put on a lot of fat, and now that I got rid of most of my fat I am ready to increase my size."

So which is it, do you want to wing it, or be precise. Right now, you are not accepting much advice, and you’ve gotten both ends of the spectrum. And regardless of your “successful cut” you’ve never put on an appreciable amount of muscle mass, so you ARE a newb. Which in it’s self isn’t bad. It becomes bad when you ACT like your not and refute everything put in front of you.

[quote]cueball wrote:
shoobey wrote:
benmoore wrote:
"shoobey
Level 0

Blog
Photos
Videos
Favorites
Find Posts
Chat

Dude, nobody said you know NOTHING. However, you did think that Creatine would store water over your ABZ. Which is just silly. The bad part is that people were humoring you in that line of thought.

Second, someone asked you about tracking calories, you wrote:

"At this point I am just “winging it” as far as calories go and doing a clean bulk, but eating a little above maintenance to see how my body responds to clean bulking since I’ve never done it. But I plan to just clean bulk and play with the calorie levels until I figure out how much I need to eat to put on muscle w/o putting on fat. "

Then someone says to just eat lift and adjust. Basically saying keep it simple, which you SOUNDED like you were wanting to do in the previous statement. But to this you say:

" am 140 lbs but at very low bodyfat, about 8 months ago I was over 190 lbs at well over 20% bodyfat. Although there are people on here that start lifting at 140 lbs, that is not me. I’m not an ectomorph or hard gainer, just a guy that fell off lifting for a good while and put on a lot of fat, and now that I got rid of most of my fat I am ready to increase my size."

So which is it, do you want to wing it, or be precise. Right now, you are not accepting much advice, and you’ve gotten both ends of the spectrum. And regardless of your “successful cut” you’ve never put on an appreciable amount of muscle mass, so you ARE a newb. Which in it’s self isn’t bad. It becomes bad when you ACT like your not and refute everything put in front of you.[/quote]

I want to “wing it” as precisely as I can, if that makes any sense. When I tried in the past to get exact with all my calories, I actually made less progress than I did this time, when I didn’t ever count a calorie during my entire cut, but just kept doing trial and error with how much I was physically eating. I eat clean regardless, so I would just eat the same thing everyday for a week, then if I lost too much weight I’d eat more, or vice versa. Eventually I found the right level and just stuck with it for many months.

I was planning on doing the same thing with bulking, for me personally I find that having a semi laid back attitude about the exact number of calories I am eating combined with being strict as hell with what I am actually eating, puts me in the best mental mindset and gets me results.

A lot of the the things I do with lifting are very unconventional, and even downright crazy. If I told some of you people on here what I was exactly doing in order to “motivate” myself to do HIIT 4-6x a week during my cut, I’d either get banned or laughed at, but the stuff I do does work for me personally.

I really figured out how to get my body to respond best to cutting after many attempts of failed cutting and losing muscle. I’m confident that I am good to go for the rest of my life anytime I need to cut since I know exactly what to do. My goal is to get to that level of comfort/confidence with bulking.

[quote]shoobey wrote:

A lot of the the things I do with lifting are very unconventional, and even downright crazy. If I told some of you people on here what I was exactly doing in order to “motivate” myself to do HIIT 4-6x a week during my cut, I’d either get banned or laughed at, but the stuff I do does work for me personally.

[/quote]

Oh, you mean like smoking weed? You won’t get banned tough guy, you know that. You made a frickin’ thread about it.

And honestly, WTF does this have to do with THIS thread? Your motivational tactics were never in question. And just because you are “motivated” doesn’t mean you necessarily know what your doing.

Anyway, hope your “unconventional lifting” works for you. Give us an update in 6 months so we can see how well its working for ya.

[quote]cueball wrote:
shoobey wrote:

Oh, you mean like smoking weed? You won’t get banned tough guy, you know that. You made a frickin’ thread about it.

And honestly, WTF does this have to do with THIS thread? Your motivational tactics were never in question. And just because you are “motivated” doesn’t mean you necessarily know what your doing.

Anyway, hope your “unconventional lifting” works for you. Give us an update in 6 months so we can see how well its working for ya.

[/quote]

just some background info to try to make my thought process make more sense, and so people just don’t think I am an idiot that knows nothing and is just spouting stuff out. The best thing I ever discovered about lifting is there is no right way or wrong way to do anything, just what works for you as an individual. Once I figured out that and tried to figure out my own routine and strategy, I got the best results I have ever seen.

Now I’m convinced your just typing to see the words on the screen. The shit you “figured out” has been repeated here more times than ANYBODY could guess. It was not a brilliant revelation. You didn’t lose much muscle, cause you don’t have much muscle. I’ve seen your pic. And what “gains” are you talking about? You just came off a cut. Which started after a long lay off from lifting. What gains?

Why did you delete half of your last post? The part about “best gains ever”?

OMG this thread.

Dude you are ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY POUNDS. I bet you can play xylophone on your ribcage.

Eat a fucking hamburger, lift some fucking weights and shut the fuck up for 25 seconds.

People have been very nice to you in this thread, even though you sound like an anorexic teenage girl. Either listen to them, or drop it. Either way, “clean” food or not, you are small, and need to eat more. Worring about creatine and BF% are only holding you back. (I’m sure worring about eating “clean” is going to hurt your gains too, but god knows there is no saving people from that.)

[quote]cueball wrote:
Now I’m convinced your just typing to see the words on the screen. The shit you “figured out” has been repeated here more times than ANYBODY could guess. It was not a brilliant revelation. You didn’t lose much muscle, cause you don’t have much muscle. I’ve seen your pic. And what “gains” are you talking about? You just came off a cut. Which started after a long lay off from lifting. What gains?[/quote]

I consider lowering bodyfat to be a “gain”, even though technically it is a loss? Just replace “results” with “gains” if it bothers you that much.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
OMG this thread.

Dude you are ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY POUNDS. I bet you can play xylophone on your ribcage.

Eat a fucking hamburger, lift some fucking weights and shut the fuck up for 25 seconds.

People have been very nice to you in this thread, even though you sound like an anorexic teenage girl. Either listen to them, or drop it. Either way, “clean” food or not, you are small, and need to eat more. Worring about creatine and BF% are only holding you back. (I’m sure worring about eating “clean” is going to hurt your gains too, but god knows there is no saving people from that.)[/quote]

My only worry about bodyfat is I don’t want to put on more than I have to. If I have to put on a certain amount of fat in order to gain the most muscle than that’s fine with me. My concern is regarding excessive fat gain. I already know I “might” be able to stablize my bodyfat during a bulk, but at the expense of making it a very innefecient bulk and having it take longer than it would need to if I was eating more.

I figured I will start out eating clean, and see what happens with my weight/strength. If it is staying the same or going down, I will have to eat more. If I get to the point where the only way I can gain weight is to shovel clean foods down my throat all day in large portions which I do not want to do, then I will make it a less clean bulk so I can get more calories from each meal.

[quote]shoobey wrote:
cueball wrote:
Now I’m convinced your just typing to see the words on the screen. The shit you “figured out” has been repeated here more times than ANYBODY could guess. It was not a brilliant revelation. You didn’t lose much muscle, cause you don’t have much muscle. I’ve seen your pic. And what “gains” are you talking about? You just came off a cut. Which started after a long lay off from lifting. What gains?

I consider lowering bodyfat to be a “gain”, even though technically it is a loss? Just replace “results” with “gains” if it bothers you that much. [/quote]

Whatever…

[quote]shoobey wrote:
I just started bulking (currently 5’7 140 lbs and 10% bodyfat or possible below). From the research I did, I figured it was possible to keep my bodyfat near the level it is at now, if I just eat slightly over maintenance and eat cleanly.

I have taken creatine in the past, and it did work well for me, but at that time I had high bodyfat so this issue didn’t come up. I want to take creatine but I also don’t want my abs to be gone right away from the increased water retention.

But if I would be putting on more muscle in a shorter period of time at the expense of losing some definition though, that also might be worth it, rather than bulking inneficiently just because I am too scared to gain bodyfat back.

I am not an ectomorph/hardgainer, if anything I am endo/meso. I basically put on/lose everythign pretty easily. I put on fat very easily, but I also can lose it easily. I also put on muscle relatively easily.

What do you guys think? [/quote]

YOU, single-handedly, have the power to bring down this whole site.

Losing your abs straight away? Clean bulk? Creatine and water retention? 140lbs? RESEARCH??

Jesus fucked my hole.

[quote]shoobey wrote:
GusBus07 wrote:
shoobey wrote:
Therizza wrote:

I also plan to throw in some cardio once I figure out what calorie level I need to do, seems too tricky to try to figure out the calories while I am also doing cardio, since that is going to mess with how much I will need to eat as well.

How the heck do you know what is “just above maintenance” if you are not tracking your calories?

common sense and also knowing how much I need to eat based on previous experience?
[/quote]

Look, there are a gazillion studies out that people don´t know shit about what they put in their mouths. All of them think they do, none of them does.

So please, don´t try to be extra special and write in down.

That way, if something good or bad happens you will still know what exactly it was that you did before it happened.

[quote]orion wrote:
shoobey wrote:
GusBus07 wrote:
shoobey wrote:
Therizza wrote:

How the heck do you know what is “just above maintenance” if you are not tracking your calories?

common sense and also knowing how much I need to eat based on previous experience?

Look, there are a gazillion studies out that people don�´t know shit about what they put in their mouths. All of them think they do, none of them does.

So please, don�´t try to be extra special and write in down.

That way, if something good or bad happens you will still know what exactly it was that you did before it happened.
[/quote]

Not paying attention to what you put in your mouth is a lot different than not paying attention to how many calories you are intaking. I am very strict with the foods I eat and the amount, I keep track of everything. I roughly know how many calories are in each food and I eat the same exact thing each day.

I don’t count calories because who cares? I gauge what to do on how i look in the mirror. If during my cut I actually counted the calories and it turned out I was eating only like 1100 calories a day, and then I upped it and wound up not losing fat as quickly, how is that productive? So rather than do that, I just kept doing what I was doing since it seemed to be working.

Hey man, listen to a voice of experience who has been in your shoes.

I was obsessed with eating immaculately (and I pretty much still do). I do not cheat at all, really. I’m always too full of good food and all the nutrients I need before my body craves them. Cooking has become a significant part of my life. Health is a huge concern for me. I believe in the bodybuilding that keeps you young and immune from disease even at age 60.

You know what I did this year? I wrote down every gram of every morsel of food that flew past my teeth. You know what I learned almost immediately? I’d never been eating as much as I thought I had. I’d been eating all this low-fat nonsense even when I ate a fair bit of peanut butter, olive oil, and flaxmeal. I think my ‘fattier’ days back then may have had 40g of fat in them. You know what else? Cheese isn’t something to be afraid of, and neither is butter. I’m not a lard ass and never will be. My bodyfat has ALWAYS been under complete control.

If you’re hung up on eating clean, for the love of god use it to your advantage and don’t let it hamper your progress! Here’s what I mean: at the end of the day ENERGY balance matters more than what you ate. If you’re stuffing your face with low-calorie, ‘healthy to the masses’ foods all day, you won’t end up with a high enough intake of calories. Eat more red meat, cook your meals in oils and butter, make carbs functional, and prioritize fruits and vegetables over all starches (unless the starches are the better option).

Your mental disorder right now is a hangup on bodyfat. This isn’t Bodybuilding.com, I do not condone getting a new pair of breasts in your life, but being moderately soft is not going to kill you. Also, what girls (or guys) are going to see your increased bodyfat all the time? It begs to ask the question…who are you doing this for?

Think about it.

The guys who said to eat, lift weights, and check up on your body in the mirror said it best. KISS. Keep it simple, stupid.