Is Cinnamon Beneficial?

I honestly can’t remember where I read it, but I read somewhere that supplementing with cinnamon increases metabolism. If you do recommend taking cinnamon, how much per day and when? Thanks for any advice.

I’m not sure about increasing your metabolism, but I’ve always operated under the assumption that it helps stabilize blood sugar, so sprinkling a bit on higher carb (sugar?) meals would help mitigate any possible negative effects. Also, it adds a nice taste to oatmeal, cottage cheese and even coffee :slight_smile:

S

SureShot,this is from the Receptormax ingredients:In a study of 49 herbs, spices, and medicinal plants known to affect insulin, good ol’ common cinnamon was shown to have the most insulin activity.(3)

Before I go on, you have to understand that we didn’t just steal momma’s cinnamon from her spice rack. Instead, we used a high grade, water-soluble extract, standardized for the active fractions of the spice. Sure there are other, less-expensive forms of cinnamon available, but they aren’t standardized for the active fractions. And if a cinnamon extract contain the fat-soluble portion of cinnamon, it may actually become toxic over time.

So what effect does Cinnamomum burmanni have in the body?

Numerous studies have shown it to improve the metabolic action of insulin resistance by increasing glucose uptake by the cells and enhancing the insulin-signaling pathway in muscle.(4)

In one study, it reduced the fasting plasma glucose levels of patients with full-blown Type 2 diabetes by 10.3%.(5)

Another study of 60 women with Type 2 Diabetes showed a decrease of fasting glucose levels of 29%, which is an incredible increase in insulin sensitivity and all the more impressive because the patients were diabetic.(6)

A third study showed that cinnamon extract given to 21 adults with pre-diabetes led to a 1.1% increase in muscle mass and a 0.7% decrease in body fat, without exercise
So you need the right kind for the benefits.So try Receptormax and let us know.ronbowe63

I misread cinnamon as cinnabun. That was a close one.

Not sure of it’s health benefits but I always add it to my oatmeal and protein shakes. It makes them that much tastier!

Please consider using cinnimon in a capsule form. All too often our saliva causes the product to degenerate before it hits the stomach, thus loosing it’s total effectiveness.

[quote]philipj wrote:
Please consider using cinnimon in a capsule form. All too often our saliva causes the product to degenerate before it hits the stomach, thus loosing it’s total effectiveness.[/quote]

May I have a source on this?

Besides, cinnamon in shakes and food would probably bypass one’s mouth too fast for this to be a concern in most cases I would believe.

I think it would be good to “loose” its effectiveness. Cry insulin and let loose the effects of cinnamon!

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

[quote]philipj wrote:
Please consider using cinnimon in a capsule form. All too often our saliva causes the product to degenerate before it hits the stomach, thus loosing it’s total effectiveness.[/quote]

Besides, cinnamon in shakes and food would probably bypass one’s mouth too fast for this to be a concern in most cases I would believe.
[/quote]

I subscribe to a private hardmail newsletter. The information was in that newsletter.

[quote]philipj wrote:

[quote]philipj wrote:

[/quote]

I subscribe to a private hardmail newsletter. The information was in that newsletter.
[/quote]

Which newsletter is it? Maybe the have an online component. Or could you mention what they said the mechanism of this degeneration was (acid, amylase, etc.).

Sorry for being persistent, cinnamon is one of the higher-ups on my go-to list for health and blood sugar control. I want to have as much accurate information as possible on it.

[quote]philipj wrote:

[quote]philipj wrote:

[/quote]

“Therefor, I now recommend taking in capsule form. Shoot for the equivalent of 1/2 teaspoon of each cinnamon and/or cloves and start spicing up your health today.”

Not meaning to any form of put down. This is from a private paid health newsletter. How good is it? If not for information I learned from the newsletters, I would not be here. Shortened story, when I was rolled into an emergency room they told me I was within 2 hrs of dieing, and they would probably cut my let leg off at the hip. I talked a few seconds and woke up a week alter with both legs. They told me the only reason I survived was that I was a life long exerciser and vitamin taker.

From the time food enters your mouth, and gets to your stomach is 7 minutes. All that time saliva and other digestive enzymes are working on various steps of breaking down the products that are enroute your stomach.

[/quote]

Which newsletter is it? Maybe the have an online component. Or could you mention what they said the mechanism of this degeneration was (acid, amylase, etc.).

Sorry for being persistent, cinnamon is one of the higher-ups on my go-to list for health and blood sugar control. I want to have as much accurate information as possible on it.
[/quote]

[quote]philipj wrote:

[quote]philipj wrote:

[quote]philipj wrote:

[/quote]

“Therefor, I now recommend taking in capsule form. Shoot for the equivalent of 1/2 teaspoon of each cinnamon and/or cloves and start spicing up your health today.”

Not meaning to any form of put down. This is from a private paid health newsletter. How good is it? If not for information I learned from the newsletters, I would not be here. Shortened story, when I was rolled into an emergency room they told me I was within 2 hrs of dieing, and they would probably cut my let leg off at the hip. I talked a few seconds and woke up a week alter with both legs. They told me the only reason I survived was that I was a life long exerciser and vitamin taker.

From the time food enters your mouth, and gets to your stomach is 7 minutes. All that time saliva and other digestive enzymes are working on various steps of breaking down the products that are enroute your stomach.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Can you at least mention which newsletter it is? Maybe I would subscribe.

The above does nothing to convince me, I have heard of way too many anecdotes from people getting off diabetes medication with cinnamon as an aid to believe without substance that oral ingestion of regular cinnamon is ineffective due to esophageal digestion.

I would go to Dr Whitaker.com. At his site, go down to a video where he is interviewed.

Are there good answers to diabetes, yes, many good answers. The organized MD & AMA is not interested as they and drug companies would be out of a lot of cash. At one time I listened to a story, a few years back, where a new diabeic would go into see an MD. Then the MD would call his stock broker and say "Buy me a strip mall, I just got another diabetic. We are no longer a life time sosurce in income for the MD’s.

Read the research done by Dr Dean Ornish. There are a large number of men & women who no longer take medications for diabetic. This year I lost 19 lbs and have 11 more to go for the year. So what? My morning sugar reading have tumbled!! Proper diet, proper exercise and supplements. Yes I still take a medication, and can for see where it will be cut in half, and even lower until I am no longer taking any medication. What stops most people? They want the information for free. Then tghe P & M that insurance will not pay for supplements. When they get anyting for free, that fully values it as worth zero. And that young man is fact. That is why when you hear people saying they researched something, they mean that googled it. That is not researching.