T Nation

Is Chalk the Answer?

To the blisters i get whenever i try to do any heavy shrugs or deadlifts…im guaranteed to get damn callouses…and they arnt just little ones, i got one that’s about two cm wide right below my ring finger, i feel like i cant even go lift because of it.

why do you guys do about this? or prevent it? Chalk? or does everyone just use straps…not a big strap fan

Heavy weights require strong hands. Deal with it, and chalk will help with grip especially when hands are sweaty.

Take care of your hands, i clip my callouses before and after deadlift days to prevent blisters and just plain old ripped callouses…

Use chalk and shave you callouses down with a face razor every week. The shaving ensures that the callouses don’t tear open/rip off when lifting.

[quote]Game Time wrote:
Use chalk and shave you callouses down with a face razor every week. The shaving ensures that the callouses don’t tear open/rip off when lifting.[/quote]

Exactly. I tore three off in about a month a little while back, and got wise and bought a pumice stone and file em down once or twice a week now. Big difference.

Ya, I use nail clippers everyday on the calluses. It’s pretty fun actually.

Yeah jut make sure you dont chew them off. On a couple of occasions i would go to pull a piece off and it would just tear down into my skin. I would bleed, it would burn and is just an annoyance that can be easily averted

Yeah I chew on mine sometimes when they get like that. Hey it works! Also, try rolling the bar into the fingers before gripping because the bar will naturally slide into them causing calluses to form.

are you grabbing the bar with your palm (bar positioning higher) when pulling or with your fingers (bar positioned lower) ? when i switched my grip for both supinated (chinups) and pronated exercises (deadlifts) the callouses at the base of my fingers (near top of my palm) occur much more slowly now and are much flatter

I just use grip pads. I still get calluses, but it’s mostly from pulling moves so they smooth out just enough before I hit them the same way again.

Forget all this macho bullshit just buy a pair of fucking lifting gloves.

Why risk having to miss a workout because of calluses.

Its not fuckin hardcore either its just plain stupid.

Gloves…ore buy some cheap thick foam.

With the foam you can use it when you need it, or use it with certain lifts to provide extra grip.

I go with bare hands and chalk for grip, or a pair of gloves.

DG

Gloves are constricting, and I still get calluses in them. But grip squares allow you the freedom AND protection.

I prefer chalk 1000 times over gloves, personally, but neither gym I use permits chalk use. I try to go bare hands as long as possible, then go to straps when my grip starts going from sweat/fatigue. I just don’t like the feel of gloves at all

[quote]Majin wrote:
Gloves are constricting, and I still get calluses in them. But grip squares allow you the freedom AND protection.[/quote]

I’ll agree with that…

DG

[quote]jstines wrote:
I prefer chalk 1000 times over gloves, personally, but neither gym I use permits chalk use. I try to go bare hands as long as possible, then go to straps when my grip starts going from sweat/fatigue. I just don’t like the feel of gloves at all[/quote]

You can buy liquid chalk which doesn’t make a mess. I just got a bottle in the mail from EFTS, gonna try it when my regular chalk runs out.

[quote]jstines wrote:
I prefer chalk 1000 times over gloves, personally, but neither gym I use permits chalk use. I try to go bare hands as long as possible, then go to straps when my grip starts going from sweat/fatigue. I just don’t like the feel of gloves at all[/quote]

Trying to add to discussion not hijack…

but I’m wondering is there any obvious choice between straps vs. mixed grip when doing heavy deads? For the record, not really feelings gloves, so between those 2?

and yes I’ve tried just “not being a pussy”…but it doesn’t work over 85-90%+ 1RM

[quote]DouglasJ16 wrote:
jstines wrote:
I prefer chalk 1000 times over gloves, personally, but neither gym I use permits chalk use. I try to go bare hands as long as possible, then go to straps when my grip starts going from sweat/fatigue. I just don’t like the feel of gloves at all

Trying to add to discussion not hijack…

but I’m wondering is there any obvious choice between straps vs. mixed grip when doing heavy deads? For the record, not really feelings gloves, so between those 2?

and yes I’ve tried just “not being a pussy”…but it doesn’t work over 85-90%+ 1RM[/quote]

if “not being a pussy” isn’t working for you…then that can only mean one thing… :stuck_out_tongue: lol jk

I prefer straps to mixed grip, sometimes straps w/mixed grip. I can lift more with straps than I can with mixed grip is probably why. lol

DG

[quote]StephenD wrote:

Its not fuckin hardcore either its just plain stupid.[/quote]

I feel with the gloves that when you are grabing the bar for a pulling motion your actually making it harder for your hands by having more stuff to grab causing more separation in fingers.

Also it isnt being macho thats the thing, but missing a workout because of calluses is just plain pussy. I say if you dont want callouses straps might be best best to avoid them.

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
StephenD wrote:

Its not fuckin hardcore either its just plain stupid.

I feel with the gloves that when you are grabing the bar for a pulling motion your actually making it harder for your hands by having more stuff to grab causing more separation in fingers.

Also it isnt being macho thats the thing, but missing a workout because of calluses is just plain pussy. I say if you dont want callouses straps might be best best to avoid them.[/quote]

Not my experience. I tore two calluses at the same time while doing rack pulls with straps a few weeks back.

Filing/clipping/biting your calluses is the best solution.