Is Box Squatting Dangerous?

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

[quote]MrManKo91 wrote:
Thank you guys for all your replys! I will keep box squatting, and I will ignore that pic![/quote]

May I ask why you are doing box squats? The consensus seems to be that they are best used when you want to do multiply lifting, not raw or singleply lifting.

Just saying, because it could cost you dearly later on when you realize the “carry-over” is way below expectations.[/quote]

When I did a raw wider stance with next to no knee travel, I got a lot out of box squats. It was when I narrowed my stance and allowed a lot more knee travel that I started getting nothing out of them.

I really think it has more to do with your style of squat than the gear involved. [/quote]

People always forget to mention that the box squat also builds the deadlift.[/quote]

1.) Even if true, I see little point in doing box squats if you could do free squats instead for raw and single-ply lifting. Might be the reason why almost no one does them.

2.) Yep, that could make them more useful for the raw/singleply lifter. Still very few lifters seem to use them, except our StormTheBeach, but he is just weird anyway. ha

Box Squatting the correct way (most don’t) is safe and effective. It is just one tool in the collective tool box. MOST beginner to intermediate lifters will benefit greatly by incorporating them into their power lifting program. Everyone is different, but to dismiss them for a raw squatter would be a mistake… It’s not right for every one, but if your weakness is explosive power and weak hips/hamstrings and glutes, it may have a place in your training, especially in the off season or prior to your meet prep…Stan Efferding lifts raw and utilizes box squats when he feels it fits… Think of it as an accessory lift for the raw squatter - no one says you have to quite training your “regular squat”.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
That poster is incorrect, the force would be a compression force, not a shearing force. The spine is very good at handling compressive forces and should be able to handle sitting on a box normally without difficulty. An example of a shearing force would be a force pushing one vertebra forward on another one, such as when one is bent over and deadlifting.

I think “devastatingly harmful” is not the correct adjective here–a more accurate description would be “possibly harmful”. I’ve never seen or heard of anyone actually get hurt box squatting, even if there are many warnings out there like the poster. Finally, most benches in the gym are padded and it is actually a little more challenging to stand up from them because of this.

I would question the management of the gym about this poster–it is ridiculous. Especially the “sledgehammer-like force part”.

[/quote]
That poster is OLD, there used to be one in our old uni gym about 20+ years ago.
Given the set up in the picture there would indeed be shear forces (the load is directed at an angle to the longitudinal axis of the spine)on the spine. I think you’d have to drop like a maniac (or collapse under too heavy a load) to risk most of the dire consequences mentioned.

[quote]Rock978 wrote:

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
As previous poster said, the key is to do a soft touch, don’t use the box to rebound or don’t “plop” on to the box. [/quote]

By soft touch, I assume you mean that you’re still putting 100% of your weight on the box before going up, just that you shouldn’t be crashing down onto the box?[/quote]

That’s not how I was taught. I was that you don’t really put any weight upon the box. The box more or less was to teach form. I was taught squat down to wear you just feel the box then you stand up… Excuse me poor wording.

[quote]Jake86 wrote:

[quote]Rock978 wrote:

As previous poster said, the key is to do a soft touch, don’t use the box to rebound or don’t “plop” on to the box. [/quote]

By soft touch, I assume you mean that you’re still putting 100% of your weight on the box before going up, just that you shouldn’t be crashing down onto the box?[/quote]

That’s not how I was taught. I was that you don’t really put any weight upon the box. The box more or less was to teach form. I was taught squat down to wear you just feel the box then you stand up… Excuse me poor wording.[/quote]

You are touching and resting on the box only to the extent that it keeps you from falling backward. Sit on the box to the point where your entire glute and hams are sinking down, but not with your entire weight. It is basically a leg curl if done correctly.

[quote]bilski wrote:

[quote]Jake86 wrote:

[quote]Rock978 wrote:

That’s not how I was taught. I was that you don’t really put any weight upon the box. The box more or less was to teach form. I was taught squat down to wear you just feel the box then you stand up… Excuse me poor wording.[/quote]

You are touching and resting on the box only to the extent that it keeps you from falling backward. Sit on the box to the point where your entire glute and hams are sinking down, but not with your entire weight. It is basically a leg curl if done correctly.[/quote]

Ah… I was taught not to put any weight on the box. Next time I squat, I will have someone get vid as to have some of you more knowledgable guys to critique my form. If I am doing something wrong, I most definitely need to know about it…

Watch Clint Darden’s video on how to Box Squat. He explains it the best out of everyone.